Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Q4 2015 results show record revenue of $51.5bn

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Apple Q4 2015 results show record revenue of $51.5bn

Says the record results are down to success of the iPhone and all-time sales records for Macs.
    Read more.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Apple Q4 2015 results show record revenue of $51.5bn

Never has the phrase "a fool and his money are easily parted" been more apt.

Apple must be laughing all the way to the bank with their "Charge more for less" strategy and their underpaying of workers.

Do people actually realise that an iPhone costs apple $200 to make?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

3. Received thanks from:

azrael- (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Wonder how how many people were driven off Android by the early Lollipop 5.0 horrors.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Wonder how how many people were driven off Android by the early Lollipop 5.0 horrors.
    TBH I've always wondered why standard android comes with the worst SMS app of all time.

I know SMS is a bit oldskool but it's basically free.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Just back from "vacation" in Florida and I was really struck by how incredibly popular the iPhone5's and 6's are. Basically if you were looking for a smartphone case at Universal, Disney, etc and you didn't have iPhone5/6 or Samsung Galaxy 5/6 then you were utterly out of luck. That, in addition, to seeing a pretty much 3:1 ratio of iPhoner's to Android users. I also saw quite a few folks touting the Apple Watch in the ride queues. Which, I guess, goes some way to account why Apple is still such a force in the market.

I also find the US Apple Store "experience" to be far better than the one over here. Although I had major problems trying to buy a pair of iPod Touch's with UK spec (so chip 'n' pin) debit and credit cards in the Apple Store. And since I'd happily used those cards in other sellers (e.g. Alamo car rental, 7/11 etc) and did subsequently, I'm pretty convinced that the problem was at Apple's end not mine. That's what they get for using iPhone5's as roaming tills rather than having "proper" ones!

Oh, and I compared by "last year's model" LG G3 to the new iPhone6s and still came away preferring my old LG. I wasn't convinced by the 6s's look and while the UI was a bit smoother, it wasn't a big enough difference for me to want to jump ship.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    TBH I've always wondered why standard android comes with the worst SMS app of all time.

I know SMS is a bit oldskool but it's basically free.
    Because Google want you to use Hangouts, so they pretty much abandoned the AOSP messaging app.

Because Android is open source, apart from the bits like Hangouts that aren't

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Never has the phrase "a fool and his money are easily parted" been more apt.

Apple must be laughing all the way to the bank with their "Charge more for less" strategy and their underpaying of workers.

Do people actually realise that an iPhone costs apple $200 to make?
    Combine that with the fact that the old adage "there's one born every minute" still holds true and you've got a winner. How people keep falling for that Apple shtick continues to elude me.

Technojunkie
    Thanks

That iphone just keeps on printing money for them, doesn't it ?

Still hiding iWatch sales though, and ipad sales declining.
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    Combine that with the fact that the old adage "there's one born every minute" still holds true and you've got a winner. How people keep falling for that Apple shtick continues to elude me.
    Because, funnily enough, they are making products that people want to buy. They have found a price point that sells and makes a profit,nwhich is what business is all about.

Why do people like the products? Perhaps because they work without faffing about, and the ecosystem/infrastructure business model isn't about building an advertising profile about you. Plus the fact that there is pretty much seemless transition between any Apple device.

There warranty and care programmes are all handled in house, so if you buy from Apple direct, that is where you go for support. One stop, easy and convenient, and for many people that convenience is worth the extra cost.

oh yes, and an appropriate GUI for a desktop machine/laptop and a mobile device with a touch screen.

But it is fashionable for those "out of the fold" to sneer at those inside, but get over it, people are buying them, in spite of the price premium because they are perceived as uncomplicated.

Just wish I was a shareholder.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Stop being so damned reasonable. You should know that any Apple thread is an excuse for the fanbois to come out.

12. Received thanks from:

peterb (28-10-2015)

Thanks

And a quick straw poll among my apple using friends is the new ones are too much and don't offer enough lol
    I must admit though the amount of people who just upgrade because they can astounds me, though this applies to all shiny toys
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Because, funnily enough, they are making products that people want to buy. They have found a price point that sells and makes a profit,nwhich is what business is all about.

Why do people like the products? Perhaps because they work without faffing about, and the ecosystem/infrastructure business model isn't about building an advertising profile about you. Plus the fact that there is pretty much seemless transition between any Apple device.
    If only that were true.

It's fashion and peer-pressure, pure and simple.
    John has a shiny new iPhone, I must have one as well!
    "Oh, you can't afford an iPhone?" or "Android/Windows eh? They are just copies"

However you carve it up, it most certainly isn't value, which funnily enough most iPhone users will look for value in almost everything ELSE they purchase.....just not anything with an Apple logo on....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

15. Received thanks from:

mikerr (29-10-2015)

Thanks

Just to add that most of the Apple users simply can't be arsed to mess around with stuff. Was in an office the other day with 4 iphone users. Icloud didn't work properly on 2, 1 was smashed and the user didn't want to mess around to fix it and the other phone was next to useless as it had no memory left....
    So 4 users on monthly contracts paying a fee for something that didn't work properly. 100% rate of people with something that didn't just work as the fanbois say all the time.... is it just me or are people just not that bothered these days?
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    If only that were true.

It's fashion and peer-pressure, pure and simple.
    John has a shiny new iPhone, I must have one as well!
    "Oh, you can't afford an iPhone?" or "Android/Windows eh? They are just copies"

However you carve it up, it most certainly isn't value, which funnily enough most iPhone users will look for value in almost everything ELSE they purchase.....just not anything with an Apple logo on....
    Well that is a convenient assertion, but the same applies to Samsung, or Nexus or any other brand. They all have their blind adherents. And part of success for a business is building a strong brand, whether it is technology or any other commodity. And Android fans are equally vociferous in defending their position, although Apple users don't seem so bothered about sneering at them.

Android based phones can offer good value for money, but some 'high end' phones cost as much as an iPhone, but offer little more than one costing a third as much - so who is getting value for money there? But that is their choice and if they want to show brand loyalty for a device that they can get to do the same thing for less, then good luck to them.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Well that is a convenient assertion, but the same applies to Samsung, or Nexus or any other brand. They all have their blind adherents. And part of success for a business is building a strong brand, whether it is technology or any other commodity.
    Actually if you look at all the phones out there is only 1 brand (Apple) that basically gets '10/10' in reviews and blogs no matter how good another product is compared with it, even in topics which don't have anything to do with Apple they still manage to get brought up. Even the iOS 8/9 got high ratings with all the issues they came out with, some of the issues were seriously bad too.

Plenty of blogs and newspapers will post new news about something competing with apple but will 90% of the time put a negative twist on the announcement or like with the Q4 results will say its down to 'users leaving android' when it's more likely due to opening up in more markets (ie China). Newspapers websites basically push Apple onto users because well nothing else exists in their world when it comes to things like apps, same goes for other media companies mainly supporting iOS over android and windows mobile. Oh and don't forget the 'apple did it first' effect to pretty much anything new they released even when they were nowhere near first... just look at apple pay for example.

In essence Apple get so much free marketing from 'celebs' and media outlets (plus they do considerably more adverts than the others) that they have a huge presence in a market where most teenagers are more focused on 'how pretty I look when I pout in instagram photos' rather than being able to make their own informed decisions. Sadly the current market is geared towards this type of owner... just look how popular beats headphones are considering how bad they are....

although Apple users don't seem so bothered about sneering at them.
    you might want to go to some 'pro apple' sites...

For the record, I don't think apple does the best product out there but I do feel they have the best marketing team out there.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    you might want to go to some 'pro apple' sites...

For the record, I don't think apple does the best product out there but I do feel they have the best marketing team out there.
    It's not just the "iFan" sites either - I was watching an episode of the Twit.TV show "All About Android" last month and they spent over five minutes discussing in what ways the iPhone was "clearly better" than the poor Android devices they were stuck with. Heck, I thought I'd downloaded "All About Apple" instead!

Apple also gets kudos for it's support, and for the most part I'll agree with that. I've had "5 star" service from both the service org (based in Ireland) and also one of the Apple stores in Orlando. As a counterpoint though I had one of my worst "support experiences" with my (then local) Apple store in Glasgow. It was so bad that I swore then and there that I'd never buy a new Apple device for myself ever again.

LSG501 if you want a wry smile then nip off to YouTube or TekThing.com and get a copy of their (TekThing) review of the Apple announcements - they're definitely off Tim Cook's Christmas card list!
    Last edited by crossy; 28-10-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information