Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

13 games showcased including Dirt 5, Madden NFL 21, and Assassin's Creed: Valhalla.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

The X is meant to use better hardware right, because i came away from that distinctly unimpressed.

I know it's early so things will improve but some of those games looked like PC games from a decade ago but with more RGB.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • AnotherDave's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime Z370-A
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 4x 8GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500, 250GB Crucial BX100, 3TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • XFX XTR 650W
      • Case:
      • AeroCool DS200 (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC U3477PQU 34" 21:9

For a video that's supposed to show off the capabilities of a new console it's surprisingly lacklustre. The lighting and character models in some scenes in the Bloodlines 2 clip looked pretty shonky.

Thanks

Both above - you know that video is resampled down from 4k/120 don't ya and then mangled by youtubes compression?
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Microsoft tries to create anticipation buy showing of. Not impressive, I wouldnt buy.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • AnotherDave's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime Z370-A
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 4x 8GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500, 250GB Crucial BX100, 3TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • XFX XTR 650W
      • Case:
      • AeroCool DS200 (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC U3477PQU 34" 21:9

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Both above - you know that video is resampled down from 4k/120 don't ya and then mangled by youtubes compression?
    Yes, but still. Don't get me wrong, a lot of it looks great. Maybe that's why I found it so jarring to see character models that look like they're from Fallout 4 and really unnatural lighting. These in particular seemed out of place with most of the other scenes.

https://imgur.com/CM0NGyB

https://imgur.com/F7QQmUL

https://imgur.com/Ciqupej

Thanks

Microsoft have been killing it lately, but the footage provided is severely embarasssing, for all involved.

Most look like PS3 games, no joke.

With this level of hardware, things should look a lot better, even just by default.

It also basically verifies that the new purchasing model they have is a sham too.
    Purchase current gen, get next gen copy of game free. The next gen version will obviously be the same, just upscale.

They likely done this to create an instant catalogue of "next gen" games.

As the hardware is practically the same, but with a few new features and higher clocks (newer / difference processor though- yes I'm aware of the GPU architecture), almost no effort is required, Microsoft are quoted as saying this themselves (Forza devs and others).

Thanks

Yeah, YouTube is terrible, it's a wonder Alphabet haven't managed to destroy the monopoly they purchased. Source is always terribly degraded.

But "if" this is severely degraded footage, who's to blame? Surely Microsoft would want the best quality shown, especially for the first unveil.

I watched on Twitch, not sure on quality vs YouTube.

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

MS should have made the original footage available for download, youtube are horrible, and they ruin your videos too.
    TBH i dont get one bit that MS would have anything to do with that brand, its not like they can do things they cant do, and something simple like hosting a few videos MS should be able to do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    What AnotherDave says bellow, it wasn't so much the sampling or mangling of the video it was the blockiness of some models, things like the foliage, movement of things looking a bit unreal, and general lack of complexity in scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherDave View Post
    Yes, but still. Don't get me wrong, a lot of it looks great. Maybe that's why I found it so jarring to see character models that look like they're from Fallout 4 and really unnatural lighting. These in particular seemed out of place with most of the other scenes.

https://imgur.com/CM0NGyB

https://imgur.com/F7QQmUL

https://imgur.com/Ciqupej

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    What AnotherDave says bellow, it wasn't so much the sampling or mangling of the video it was the blockiness of some models, things like the foliage, movement of things looking a bit unreal, and general lack of complexity in scenes.
    Agreed but for a pre-launch video I've also seen worse...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Scorn and the space combat game looked alright, hard to really see without HQ B-roll though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    It also basically verifies that the new purchasing model they have is a sham too.
    Purchase current gen, get next gen copy of game free. The next gen version will obviously be the same, just upscale.
    On what planet is this considered a "sham"?

As the hardware is practically the same, but with a few new features and higher clocks (newer / difference processor though- yes I'm aware of the GPU architecture), almost no effort is required, Microsoft are quoted as saying this themselves (Forza devs and others).
    Why is this a bad thing?

The quicker devs can get their code up and running without headaches, the better. The SSD is a literal game changer in how developers (have to) manage the memory subsystem and what that opens up without being limited to 50-100MB/s bursts of data with a huge seek time.

Very strange take.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    Scorn and the space combat game looked alright, hard to really see without HQ B-roll though.
    On what planet is this considered a "sham"?

Why is this a bad thing?

The quicker devs can get their code up and running without headaches, the better. The SSD is a literal game changer in how developers (have to) manage the memory subsystem and what that opens up without being limited to 50-100MB/s bursts of data with a huge seek time.

Very strange take.

I think you need to read what I wrote. The fact the systems are similar and they can create games quicker IS a good thing.

My complaint is they are promising next gen game free, for owners of current gen version.

The issue is it looks likely they are just up scaling and calling it next gen, something which the console will do anyway.

They may make a few tweaks, but it isn't a genuine next gen experience. No Improvements in effects, gameplay, physics, a.i. etc.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

I think you need to read what I wrote. The fact the systems are similar and they can create games quicker IS a good thing.
    The rest of the post was negative so read that part in the same light ¬_¬

My complaint is they are promising next gen game free, for owners of current gen version.

The issue is it looks likely they are just up scaling and calling it next gen, something which the console will do anyway.

They may make a few tweaks, but it isn't a genuine next gen experience. No Improvements in effects, gameplay, physics, a.i. etc.
    We'll have to agree to disagree here.

MS don't have control over what third parties put out(not 100% true, but you get what I mean). Can you imagine the uproar if you did have to buy a new version for the next console (like you did this time to an extent)? Third parties have also got a pandemic to tackle and will want their software on as many systems as possible.

There will be proper next-gen games available, and shown, at MS' presser. We've already had a glimpse of this with the HB2 trailer which was in-engine - yes, not gameplay - and it will take a while for devs to fully exploit the system + advancements in systems and engineering.

Aside from that, I think when all is said and done the current gen games will look a generation ahead on XSX in much the same way PC games do now.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

I won't give you any more time, as you're clearly a blind fanboy in defensive mode. I'm a fan of Microsoft , recently they have been great, but I'm not blind or a fanboy.

We're judging the footage they've presented, which so far, everyone but you agrees is absolutely dire, embarrassing even for a first unveil, I can't see why they would present this level of poor quality at such a vital point.

I'm hopeful the studios Microsft have acquired will be allowed, and capable of producing impressive games. But as of now, after all the positive momentum, they've taken a couple of steps back.

I'm sure in the future they'll have some good things to show, but noone has seen this yet, we can only judge what is available.

Who the $%£# told you you could eat my cookies?! Oobie-'s Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed with ANotherDave - those models look like they're from the bioshock era. When you look at the abilities that are out there (namely this, which yes I appreciate is different in the sense of engine and where its being developed - https://www.hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/140666-epic-games-acquires-cubic-motion-face-animation-tech/) that particular game looks like it was brought back from 2014 and just touched up.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information