Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple movie downloads (US only) & network media player (yawn)

Thanks

Apple movie downloads (US only) & network media player (yawn)

In days gone by, Apple wore a cloak of confidentiality that kept forthcoming new products secret until they were formally announced. Today, that cloak is in tatters. Or is it? Perhaps, instead, the company has simply learned from political spin-doctors the usefulness of timely leaks. And some early good news certainly would have been helpful to dispel the shadow cast by Apple's recent massive laptop-battery recall.

Long before CEO Steve Jobs stepped onto the stage on Tuesday (September 12) at a "special event" in San Francisco timed to co-incide with the Apple Expo in Paris, the news he was set to announce about the company offering movie downloads from the US iTunes store (and only the US iTunes store for now) had been three around the internet and was tucked up having a little rest somewhere.
    More in this HEXUS.lifestyle.opinion.

Registered+
    Thanks
    What an anti-climax. A video service I cant use and a network media player that will be overpriced and forever delayed while the 802.11n standard is finalised.

I was looking foward to some kind of Apple PMP

awm
    Thanks
    zzz...zzz, oh sorry, fell asleap from the Apple "news". Completly agree with you Bob about the news only being of interest to devout Jobsism followers and anyone buying an iPod this month (next month no doubt a new firmware will be marketed as the best thing since sliced bread).

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC
    I have to disagree.
    What Apple are doing, what Apple usually manage to do, it to repackage something that already exists and provides possibly less functionality to the technically literate but make it accessible and attractive to the masses.
    I don't care who's badge is on the device, if the whole world starts to think about media streaming (wireless or not) then i think we all end up benefitting.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MSIC View Post
    I have to disagree.
    What Apple are doing, what Apple usually manage to do, it to repackage something that already exists and provides possibly less functionality to the technically literate but make it accessible and attractive to the masses.
    I don't care who's badge is on the device, if the whole world starts to think about media streaming (wireless or not) then i think we all end up benefitting.
    In many ways, you are right, and when Apple starts pushing its iTV product - whatever it's called at the time - I'm sure that will act as a generic advertising campaign for all network media players.

Thanks
    "we" forgot to mention that the "story" was written on a cheap dell machine running vista rc1 and microsoft office 2003 patched edition... it runs pretty good sometimes. and "we" can't wait to check out Zune when it comes out. it's going to be awesome and integrate tightly with microsoft office, windows media player and the new calculator application that comes with vista rc2. or btw "we" think hexus rules and it has these writers with original opinion to die for... lol too...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moofoo View Post
    "we" forgot to mention that the "story" was written on a cheap dell machine running vista rc1 and microsoft office 2003 patched edition... it runs pretty good sometimes. and "we" can't wait to check out Zune when it comes out. it's going to be awesome and integrate tightly with microsoft office, windows media player and the new calculator application that comes with vista rc2. or btw "we" think hexus rules and it has these writers with original opinion to die for... lol too...
    You confuse the writings of someone who is totally platform agnostic, with your own mirror-image, a Windows bigot (of which, percentage wise, there seem to be far fewer, for some reason).

In terms of computers, my view is that they are simply tools - not something that anyone in their right mind would use to define themselves or their way of life.

If a Mac were the best tool for a particular job, I'd use it happily.

But would you come to an equally logical conclusion if a Windows PC turned out to be the best tool for a particular job you needed to do?

As for Zune - that will get a damn good kicking from me if it deserves it, just as I've given Microsoft plenty of good kickings in the past (and Intel and anyone else, I'd thought merited it).

Yes, I do dare question the faith you'd appear to hold so dear, but it might pay you to read some of my other stuff before jumping to completely unfounded conclusions.
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 15-09-2006 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks
    According to Reuters, Walt Disney had sold more than 125,000 movies via Apple's iTunes Store before the movie-download service had been running for a week.

Not sure quite what to read into it - whether the downloads will continue at this pace, accelerate or fall off (and a lot of that may depend on other movie studios coming onboard) but check out Reuters' story for yourselves and let us know your thoughts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree View Post
    But would you come to an equally logical conclusion if a Windows PC turned out to be the best tool for a particular job you needed to do?
    sure. like what?!

Thanks
    sure. like what?!
    So that's a "no", then, is it?

Thanks
    So that's a "no", then, is it?
    i didn't say no. i asked for an exmple...

Thanks
    I just asked a simple question that you still haven't answered.

So, let's try again.

If a Windows PC turned out to be the best tool for a particular job you needed to do, would you use it?

Y/N

Thanks
    If a Windows PC turned out to be the best tool for a particular job you needed to do, would you use it?
    Y/N
    that's a trick question. if i say 'yes' then i'd be probably lieing. if i say "no" then you win, right?!

the correct answer to this is: depends. depends what the task is and how would other platforms be inferior to the microsoft one. in 15 years of dealing with machines/platforms of any kind every day i have yet to find a task that windows would do better or faster then a *nix or mac (now unix in the core) machine....

so to return to the question itself - my answer is still the same:
    yes, i will if you can give me an example of what that task might be. otherwise i wont really have a reason to try and see if i can answer with just Y/N... because in my own opinion there isn't such a task. but that doesn't mean "no".. yet...

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    in 15 years of dealing with machines/platforms of any kind every day i have yet to find a task that windows would do better or faster then a *nix or mac (now unix in the core) machine....
    "play half-life 2"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    "play half-life 2"?
    that's nice.... and original... not in the "task" category...

Thanks
    it is for people who work at valve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information