Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its Mango Time!

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Its Mango Time!

So my Omnia7 got the message today telling me the update is available.

I'll update this thread later with some details one the new handsets which are being launched now.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Re: Its Mango Time!

I got Mango already, came in a little pot with some Melon.

Thanks
    • nibbler's system
      • CPU:
      • i5-2410m
      • Memory:
      • 6GB ddr3 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Plextor M5S SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB 6650M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit

I have an update available but it's version 7.0.something so I'm guessing that isn't mango?
    Join the HEXUS Folding@home Team!!

Thanks
    • nibbler's system
      • CPU:
      • i5-2410m
      • Memory:
      • 6GB ddr3 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Plextor M5S SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB 6650M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit

Ah I see i'm being sent all the various updates 1 by 1...

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung Evo 850 M.2, 2 x Samsung EVO 850 500Gb, Seagate 3tb HDD, 24Tb Unraid Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Be-Quiet Dark Pro 900 Silver
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 22" and 1 x Dell U2913WM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

i've had nothing yet, either on my unlocked lg e900 or my 02 hd7.

Thanks
    • nibbler's system
      • CPU:
      • i5-2410m
      • Memory:
      • 6GB ddr3 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Plextor M5S SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB 6650M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit

I didn't get a message I just plugged in, so do that and then go to settings -> phone -> update and see what you get.

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung Evo 850 M.2, 2 x Samsung EVO 850 500Gb, Seagate 3tb HDD, 24Tb Unraid Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

yeah, been trying all day but nothing on either phone.

Thanks

I've installed Mango on my LG Optimus 7 and I have to say it's definitely the 2nd best mobile OS after iOS. There's a noticeable speed increase, and there's a lot of nice little tweaks and changes to the UI (such as a 'drag down to switch off phone' gesture to turn off the phone rather than just pressing and holding the power button, so fewer accidental turn offs!) The ability to press the Windows button to wake the device is also a huge boon (finally!). I had 5 app updates available the day after installing Mango so it seems as if developers are very quickly making changes to support Mango. The fast app switching is really great too, and I'd say a little bit better than iOS overall since you get to see the exact screen you're switching back to rather than just the app icon.

All in all, a really great update. Well done Microsoft!

Thanks

You see I wouldn't describe it as second iOS really. It's actually much better in terms of built in, non-3rd party apps, everything is better, dialing interface, contacts, face, twatter, email, web, music, app store.

What its lacking compared to iOS is some of the apps, they are coming, but the API (Application Programmers Interface, the 'things' a dev can access and do) has only just been expanded, you can now see a flood of apps which make use of DLNA. They only added this support for us in Mango, despite it been present since windows mobile 5 iirc. Access to the camera stream, access to the mic / speakers.

The API is very locked down, but thats because they are putting a new one on the top which is actually good, the old idea of how APIs were called dates back to the 80s really, with a little bit of something called COM, which despite been truely great for the time, is horrifically complicated, and flawed in quite a few ways. By changing to something which is built around the so termed by MS 'reactive' paradigm they make it very hard to not code it elegantly in a manner which should make hte app good for the end users, as it shouldn't ever hang or lock up.

So I'm in mixed minds about it, I hate having an API changed, but I hate having the API restricted as it was before. Either way we can now do more on a handset, and the methods for programming it are the nicest on the market by a long shot.

iOS is just ****e on this, objective-c is ghastly, the API is awful and restrictive.

Andriod is a bit different as its accepted people can twist it how they want.

As such I'd say its second to Andriod in that regard of flexability, but second to iOS for Apps n stuff (as you know with any WP7 device the games will run, and run well....).

In terms of UI and 'core' functions thou, with Mango its comfortably in the lead. Will be intresting to see whats lined up for 8.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Is the update going to be called....
    ....chutney??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    You see I wouldn't describe it as second iOS really. It's actually much better in terms of built in, non-3rd party apps, everything is better, dialing interface, contacts, face, twatter, email, web, music, app store.

What its lacking compared to iOS is some of the apps, they are coming, but the API (Application Programmers Interface, the 'things' a dev can access and do) has only just been expanded, you can now see a flood of apps which make use of DLNA. They only added this support for us in Mango, despite it been present since windows mobile 5 iirc. Access to the camera stream, access to the mic / speakers.

The API is very locked down, but thats because they are putting a new one on the top which is actually good, the old idea of how APIs were called dates back to the 80s really, with a little bit of something called COM, which despite been truely great for the time, is horrifically complicated, and flawed in quite a few ways. By changing to something which is built around the so termed by MS 'reactive' paradigm they make it very hard to not code it elegantly in a manner which should make hte app good for the end users, as it shouldn't ever hang or lock up.

So I'm in mixed minds about it, I hate having an API changed, but I hate having the API restricted as it was before. Either way we can now do more on a handset, and the methods for programming it are the nicest on the market by a long shot.

iOS is just ****e on this, objective-c is ghastly, the API is awful and restrictive.

Andriod is a bit different as its accepted people can twist it how they want.

As such I'd say its second to Andriod in that regard of flexability, but second to iOS for Apps n stuff (as you know with any WP7 device the games will run, and run well....).

In terms of UI and 'core' functions thou, with Mango its comfortably in the lead. Will be intresting to see whats lined up for 8.
    I disagree, I still think iOS has the edge as far as the UI and just general enjoyment from usage is concerned, and both iOS and WP7 are streets ahead of Android in that regard. I really don't like the way WP7 has Facebook, etc, so natively entwined in the OS which makes keeping your phone contacts and content separate from your Facebook contacts and content difficult. I much prefer having these functions as separate apps (and luckily you can still do that!). The web browser has definitely been improved since WP7, but it still falls short of Safari on iOS (it still hesitates on links, or doesn't recognise a touch, the text is still not very sharp and there's still no shortcut to go back to the top of the page by touching a menu bar at the top of the screen (also missing in Android so a general bugbear)). Scrolling before the page has fully loaded has definitely improved, but there's still a problem when typing text where it doesn't appear for a good few seconds after you typed it. Definitely some improvements still to be made in that regard.

I really like the new volume numbering system over the little sliding scale there used to be and the biggest usability improvements for me are definitely the extra speed, the web browser, the fast task switcher and the Windows button as a wake button.

What I'd like to see next are higher resolution screens to minimise the blocky text and further improvements to the web browser (address bar at the top, a shortcut gesture to get to the top of the page, and icons to quickly access bookmarks and tabs instead of having to open a menu).

EDIT - Still waiting on a scroll lock too. Is it really only Apple who have implemented a scroll lock?

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

Finally got both of my phones updated and working (using a force update method). Annoyingly, none of the phones have internet sharing enabled.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrochester View Post
    I disagree, I still think iOS has the edge as far as the UI and just general enjoyment from usage is concerned, and both iOS and WP7 are streets ahead of Android in that regard.
    Really?

I would say that iOS is very inconsistent, and some things are just far too long winded. It lacks any unity between actions, I like how in Mango we have messenger, texts, etc. All threaded together. Very neat!
    I really don't like the way WP7 has Facebook, etc, so natively entwined in the OS which makes keeping your phone contacts and content separate from your Facebook contacts and content difficult. I much prefer having these functions as separate apps (and luckily you can still do that!).
    The option is good for some people, I guess it depends how you use facebook, myself I don't at all, so its academic for me
    The web browser has definitely been improved since WP7, but it still falls short of Safari on iOS (it still hesitates on links, or doesn't recognise a touch, the text is still not very sharp and there's still no shortcut to go back to the top of the page by touching a menu bar at the top of the screen (also missing in Android so a general bugbear)). Scrolling before the page has fully loaded has definitely improved, but there's still a problem when typing text where it doesn't appear for a good few seconds after you typed it. Definitely some improvements still to be made in that regard.
    I think the web browser on iOS benefits from the high resolution screen, but its much more sluggish, I also have many issues with it not recognising a link click, but no more than I have on iOS. However the scrolling is much faster, and I've not noticed the text input lag, I'm guessing there are some kinks to be ironed out when someone is doing postback stuff on char change.
    I really like the new volume numbering system over the little sliding scale there used to be and the biggest usability improvements for me are definitely the extra speed, the web browser, the fast task switcher and the Windows button as a wake button.
    Yup, not 100% sold on the volume thou.
    What I'd like to see next are higher resolution screens to minimise the blocky text and further improvements to the web browser (address bar at the top, a shortcut gesture to get to the top of the page, and icons to quickly access bookmarks and tabs instead of having to open a menu).
    +1 for higher resolution, but alas I don't think we will see it.
    You can pin a web site to a tile. But most of those improvements could easily be done in a 3rd party app which wrapped IE....
    EDIT - Still waiting on a scroll lock too. Is it really only Apple who have implemented a scroll lock?
    Which is the scroll lock.

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

Anyone having any issues getting the text to speech working over bluetooth? Doesn't work on my Car Bluetooth system.

Thanks

been having a heap of issues with beta versions and my DS3, been logging it with them thou, apparently they are aware of some issues, but the party line does appear to be its their fault, not ours!

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Here is the GsmArena.com review of WP7.5 . Probably should have posted this here originally and not the main Mobile forum. oh well!

Thread Information