Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next new iPad?

Thanks

Re: Next new iPad?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    The number is only used for the code they send you. For that purpose I have a PAYG sim in an old school phone like one of these : https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9494174

No GPS, no fancy features, no apps and a battery that lasts forever, just sits in the draw and I turn it on when I am expecting a code.
    Pretty much exactly what I'm planning, Jon, but thanks for suggesting it. I have an old (but, in it's day, pretty nice) Sony Xperia, that's been sat in a drawer for several years. I had dug it out before, several times, but the SIM was kinda stuck. It would pop out abou 1/8th of an inch, and stick. I'd spent a good hour, or more, trying to coax, fiddly, wheedle or tease it out but nope, it was caught on something and short of brute force, refused to budge.

So yesterday, a decided it WAS coming out, got a pair of broad-nosed pliars and the phone and .... the wife said "What you doing with those?"

"SIMs stuck, " say I.

"Want me to try?" she offered.

Well, why not. So she spent about 10 minutes fiddling, and got no further than I had. Which, I have to say, was kind-of satisfying.

So I pointed out I'd tried repeated before, including with the afforementioned pliars, simply to get a grip on the SIM which was barely poking out. So i gently nipped the SIM with the pliars, literally just enough to grip, pointed out that the SIM was physically catching on something and that ven with pliars, was utterly stuck.

"Look," I said, and pulled very gently.

And bleep me if the little bleeper didn't pop out, sweet as a nut.

I swear it was grinning at me. Argh.

So .... the point of that little tale, is I have an old phone ready for a new SIM, and sitting beside it is a brand new Vodafone PAYG SIM. The plan is to activate the SIM, use that number to get the Apple TOTP, then stick the phone (powered off) back in the drawer and forget it, short of some activity every few months, just enough to keep the SIM from being cancelled. other than that, dig it out only if Apple wants to send a TOTP. Or, anything else I need that requires TOTP. Then, maybe, Yubikey, as I said earlier.

Most of the (few) Apple users I know have said that either, they were never asked for a phone number when getting an AppleID, or if they were (the more recent ones), have never since been asked to use it. Hence the more rantish aspects of my above post. I haven't, ummm, exactly been shy in expressing my views on data grabbing and hoarding by high-tech firms in the past, so old hands here can probably predict pretty much my reaction to Apple's "we need your phone number" cobblers.

So, more as a gesture than anything else and in the clear expectation of Apple giving exactly zero poops either way, if I can't find a way round the phone number thing (like the above plan) I'll take te whole lot back but under no circumstances will I consider buying a new phone, even at the ultra budget end, JUST to get around Apple's stupid demand. Re-using an otherwise redundat old unit currently sitting in a drawer, yeah. Buying new gear for their sake? Nope.

Note - do I think it'll make much difference? Or that at least some big tech (Google etc) doesn't already know my phone number? No. I'm 100% sure tthey do. Despite being VERY selective about who I give it to, I have no doubt that simple relationship maps drawn from contact lists of the few peope that do have my number means Google et.al. already have it. I'm simply standing on one of my favourite hobby horses and refusing, under ANY circumstances, to actually give the damn number to Apple.

There are ways of keeping communications away from these data vultures but frankly, it's very rare for anything I have to say (or send) being important enough (even to me) for even me to go to those extremes of inconvenience. It's just not worth the hassle, the vast bulk of the time. That doesn't stop me wholly despising their utterly immoral practices.

Which is why I'm still contemplating returning the whole lot. It's definitely got "cutting off my nose" overtones, but still .... contemplating. If I take it back, it signifies that I'll never again touch anything Apple. If I break the shrink-wrap .... it feels a bit like sacrificing my principle because I want a new toy to play with. Do I NEED any Apple kit? No. Can I do everything I could with the Apple with existing kit, plus a Surface Pro? Yes, except that the iPad screen is REALLY good, better than the MS one but not by enough to matter that much to me. There's nothing about the iPad that I actually need. Just want, and can kind-of rationalise, in order to do what I want (short of this phone number garbage, which I was unaware of until looking into getting an AppleID). If I'd known of the phone number thing before going as far as actually ordering the hardware, and having it either here or in transit, the process would have died right there. It still feels .... tacky .... going ahead, given that.

I'm very much currently arguing with myself, in my head. I just dunno who'll win that fight.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Re: Next new iPad?

Well, temptation got the better of me and I opened it all all, and have it up and running. Just about.
    Last edited by Saracen999; 14-08-2023 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Tpyo
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

3. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (13-08-2023)

Thread Information