Thread: A friend unable to get a mobile contract due to credit score rating, what to do?

Thanks

A friend unable to get a mobile contract due to credit score rating, what to do?

A friend of mine wants to get an Orange contract for a few reasons, the free phone, the cheaper calls, the free texts and the free/cheap broadband.

Unfortunately, she seems to be plagued by a bad credit score rating. She recently applied for an Orange contract online and was rejected shortly after. It's ironic as her contract would cost her £35 a month and she currently spends around £40 a month on Orange pay as you go!

Her bad credit score rating isn't exactly her fault either, she lives with her father who was bankrupted when she was younger. She's lived in a flat with him ever since but works full time in a good job and is moving into a newer place next week. Her dad's history and current residence seem to reflect really badly on her. She is applying for a credit report in the meantime to see if there is anything she can do.

Anyhow, is there anyway she might be able to get around this problem with Orange? She wants to get broadband up and running as soon as possible at her new place and the Orange contract with Orange Broadband was the ideal sollution. My idea was that I purchase the Orange contract and just give her the phone, by doing so, would she be able to set the direct debit to her own bank account? Alternatively, could I purchase the contract and then just phone Orange at a later date and ask to change the name on the account to hers?

Bit of an odd question I know but I'm hoping someone here has the answer.

Thanks
    When she applied for the contract online did she "opt out" in the credit check? If you opt out other people at your location are not taken into account and you are the only person credit checked.

Someone of 18 would out in as they would have no previous credit history and including their parents should help the application.

If this girl has never had any credit then that could be the problem, I worked in an Orange shop for six and a half years and there was many instances of people mid 20's who had never had credit cards or anything so Orange would decline them or ask for a desposit as they couldn't be sure of how credit worthy the person was.

As for putting it in your name then you will be liable for any bills, yes the DD could be setup to her account but if she misses a payment or racks up a bill you could have to pay it.

As for transfering the account later, Orange would need to again credit check her even if the account is simply being transfered to her.

She shouldn't apply to Orange twice within three months as nothing will change and she will have to wait even longer before she can apply again. She should make sure she opts out on the credit check.
    Last edited by LSmith4285; 04-02-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks
    • redlight's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Quad 6600@3.1
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Geil PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB Samsung 400GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek 8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 580w
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte Aurora
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens 22" + 42" plasma
      • Internet:
      • 2MB Tiscali
    If she keeps applying for credit and is credit checked and refused this also kept on record and counts against her. Best thing to do is find the cause and rectify it or it will plague her for years.

Thanks
    Have a look here over at money saving expert, this may help.

Thread Information