Thread: Sub forums using PHPBB, Is it possible?

Thanks
    • subucni's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 64 X2 4800+
      • Memory:
      • 2gb of generic DDR1 rubbish
      • Storage:
      • Nothing special
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512mb ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Scout
      • Operating System:
      • WinXP 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H + 19" Hanns.G Dual setup
      • Internet:
      • 20mb VirginMedia

Sub forums using PHPBB, Is it possible?

Hi there guys,

Have recently been setting up a forum for the World of Warcraft guild i'm in, using PHPBB. Considering it's the first time i've attempted it all has been going better than expected so far. I have navigated around installing a template, and moving and creating forums and categories.

However i'd like to put in some sub forums within forums just like how this software development forum is within the Hexus.Binaries forum, which is in turn in the Hexus.help category. I can't work out how to do this though, i can only seem to put forums inside categories and not other forums which could make the front page get a bit long.

Is it possible to do this at all using PHPBB, or is it a feature that i'm only going to get from paying someone like vBulletin for. Hopefully not.

Also, given that i've just started out is there any great/essential PHPBB forum mods/add ons i should be downloading and installing to make admin easier or add important functionality to the board?

Thanks a lot guys.

Bres

Purple Member
    Thanks
    • Tarffie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 (PC2-8500C5)
      • Storage:
      • 250gb + 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT 512mb w/ Accelero S1
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408wfp & 2405fpw
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 50Mb/s
    I imagine you still need to use a mod for subforums. Something like http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.p...ontrib_id=1697 is what I used when I ran a phpBB board.

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    I probably won't be helpful here towards your problem but if its a very small forum and only just started I would strongly suggest you at least have a look at Simple Machines Forums on a test server or something. Its better than PHPBB in my opinion, still free and adding and moving sub forums around is also very easy. Theres a whole host of other features listed on their site. I like it a lot, and its my first choice right now.

Thanks
    • subucni's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 64 X2 4800+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Nothing special
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512mb ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Scout
      • Operating System:
      • WinXP 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 20mb VirginMedia
    Hey guys, thanks for the info.

Cheers Dorza, certainly going to look into simple machines for future use.

As it is though, phpbb is already up and running and people have started using the forum so i tried getting my head around simple sub forums, and i've come up against a couple of problems but first i'll bring you upto speed of where i'm at.

After looking into simple sub forums i realised i needed to install the extreme styles mod, or at least replace the forums "template.php" with the one within the mod, which is what i did.

All fine upto now.

Next as simple subforums says it's EasyMod friendly, i installed that, which i managed to work out after a while.

All going good so far.

This is where i've just started running into problems, i've tried installing subforums using EasyMod, hoping that i wouldn't run into any problems with the extra template i have installed. All went well for the subsilver template, but for my wow_alliance template it's thrown up the following errors.

I think i know how to get around these error but was hoping someone could tell me if i'm right before i go ahead and do it. After opening up the "index_body.tpl" with notepad for both templates i spotted that the wow_alliance template is missing the height="50" section, so if i just correct that first it should work, yes?

Secondly the "overall_header.tpl" is missing the @import url entirely from the wow_alliance templates. So if i copy the section in the pic below can i just add that to the wow_alliance file? and if so, do it matter where in the file it goes?

I hope i've worked that out right.

Bres

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    looks to me like the mod is hard coded for subsilver and its failing on anything that has your template name in the path?

If so you need to check the mod file to see if it details sub silver and import it again after changing the template url to your own design.

Matt.
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Thanks
    • subucni's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 64 X2 4800+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Nothing special
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512mb ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Scout
      • Operating System:
      • WinXP 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 20mb VirginMedia
    Cheers Matt,

The install file does specify subsilver in the url's of the files to edit, however i can't see that being the problem because Easymod seems to be trying to install it into all my templates to me, otherwise it wouldn't have even been looking in the files it came up with the errors for would it?

Either way, i think i'm just going to back the forum up completely and run the install through easymod fully to see if it does change any of the files for both the subsilver template and the wow_alliance template. Then try and manually adjust the files it throws up errors with, and see what happens from there because i can always swap it back if all goes wrong.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Okay, let's take what you're trying to do aside from technology for a second and ask yourself: what is it you're really trying to accomplish? Subforums are a means to an end, not an end in themselves, so you've probably got some sort of need you want to meet. What is that need? Would installing complex software be the best way of accomplishing it, or could it be achieved in a 'human' way instead?

I've been administering a forum for a few years, and in that time we've switched from the (inordinately complex and woefully insecure) PhpBB2 to PunBB, but even the latter is too 'complex' for my liking. Simple Machines seems to suffer the same sort of featureitis (the 'Community' link on their own site takes me to a forum page so densely packed with information I'd not know where to start).

If you're managing a World of Warcraft guild, first of all; don't try and emulate Blizzard's forums. They have lots of forums on lots of different subjects because of the sheer volume of posts, and because it'd not be manageable any other way. If you've got one person asking a question about (say) Blacksmithing in a week, does that really necessitate having a dedicated forum for Blacksmithing? Does it even necessitate having a dedicated forum for Professions? Take a step back and think what you really need to be able to separate (i.e. what types of post wouldn't work very well if they were mixed together) and then separate down to those few things.

As far as technology goes, I'd recommend something like Vanilla over PhpBB, PunBB or SimpleMachineForum. Even better would be Beast, but that doesn't currently support private forums (although I imagine there are 3rd party mods that do), and it's written in Ruby on Rails, which might not be so easy for you to deploy if you don't have prior experience with it.

Thanks

are generally hemorroids causing anyone tenderness recommendations unique you can try

Followup along with your clients by having an alternative so they can affiliate marketer with you. Feature a command on your own e mail that shows them they could join immediately by simply clicking the listed below website link. The finishing postscript could tell them not to be later with this incredible chance of affiliation with your company.
    Should you be thinking of personal a bankruptcy proceeding, determine what delivered you to definitely this case. The decline of employment or shock medical urgent expenses could have been from your handle. But when you got to this aspect of compulsive buying or being lazy about conserving, those are issues. By knowing the goes you manufactured that delivered you to this time, you can begin to correct them. You can begin to put into action austerity steps in your daily life to be able to ultimately simply being residing a far more frugal, fiscally-liable way of life. Everbody knows, declaring bankruptcy is actually a major selection that can have a massive impact on your life. By very carefully learning this post, you should now have a much much better idea of America's bankruptcy laws, so you should be able to determine if filing for personalized individual bankruptcy may benefit you and improve your particular finances.Best Places To Your Business: How To Get Them
    As you may start to age group, your body begins to slow down. Keep in mind usually do not slow and become inactive. As an alternative explore issues that can be done to help you build vitality. Sign up to a dancing school. This can help you get workout as well as spend time with people. Investing in a second hand car may be difficult, regardless how a lot you are already aware about autos. There are plenty of various aspects to consider so that you don't end up buying some trash that fails without delay. Apply certain sound advice of the buy and sell in this article that will help you make the following car decision.

Thread Information