Thread: Outlook rules - copy emails to network folder???

Thanks
    • GaryRW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • DDR2 4gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

Outlook rules - copy emails to network folder???

I'm trying to set up rules in outlook to automatically file emails on a specific client in that client's folder (using client ref in title or body to make the distinction).

So far, I can only see how to do that with outlook folders (with all other docs for that client). What we have is a folder for each client on the server, but I can't find a way of getting outlook to automatically copy or move the email to a network folder, rather than an outlook one.

The only workaround so far is to set up each client folder in outlook, set up the rule to copy emails into outlook folders, and then manually copy them across to the every now and again to the network folder.

I know the answer is to spend £xx,xxx's on a proper doc management system, but sorting this one thing out would mean we could cope without one. If anyone can point me in the right direction.

(I've tried googling, but getting no where fast - I think because I don't know the technical term for a network folder - my computer folder, explorer folder, ????)

Splash

Re: Outlook rules - copy emails to network folder???

Does this need to be done for one user, or does the "network folder" need to be accesible to more than one person at a time? If the former then you *could* create a PST on a network drive, and send the mails to that, but it sounds to me like you're wanting to do the latter, which rules that out.

Put of interest why does it have to be a network drive rather than an Outlook folder? Are you running some kind of mailserver? If so would a shared mailbox or Public Folder (if your mailserver supports them) not suit your needs more?

Thanks
    • GaryRW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • DDR2 4gb
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

Thanks Splash. - Yes more than user.

Ultimately, we've got client folders with letters etc... in and it would be good to have emails and letters in one folder so you can see the history in chronological. That's what I'd really like to be able to do, but unfortunately I think the solution may be a doc management system, and we haven't got that kind of £££.

The other fairly minor reason why shared/public folders in outlook aren't great are that, unless I'm missing something obvious, you can't access them easily in the mail tab of outlook 2007. I've worked out how to add a folder to the favourites folders bit at the top, but that only adds that folder (we're talking about 50+ client folders). I tried setting them up as subfolders, and just adding the parent folder including all the client folders, but it only added the parent - there was no little + to expand it to show all the subfolders.

So to find a client folder, means switching to the folders tab which so far hasn't been great at remembering what you were last looking at. I know switching tabs shouldn't be a major hassle, but some of the people who will have to cope with this aren't great with computers....

Thanks

why not have users jjust save the outlook .msg file into the network folder ?

messey ? yes , but no more so that any of the other solutions you've come up with.

Without putting together a CRM system ( which may or may not cost you lots of money - it'll cost you some time ) - I dont think you'll be able to get what you want.

something like Goldmine is pretty cheap though and has a built in tool for email ( seeing as you dont appear to have a proper mail server either )
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Splash

Public Folders in Exchange would be ideal for this, but as Moby says it doesn't look like that's an option.

Thanks
    • GaryRW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • DDR2 4gb
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

Sorry - should have mentioned we've got our own exchange server running. Not sure whether that helps???

Moby - I've just googled CRM systems and I'm not after anything our clients could use - just an internal, electronic filing system issue. (Time in setting up something wouldn't be too much of a problem. Our files generally last for years, so setting up rules for each client at the start is not a problem. I'm not sure that's what you meant though. )

We could copy across each message manually, but a big part of that is remembering to do it and obviously the hassle. The public folders is the best option so far, I guess we'll just have to play with that and see how it goes. I was just hoping there was some way to have the messages copeid to the network folder automatically as it would just be much neater to have everything in one place.

Are there outlook plug-ins to give additional rule functionality like this???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryRW
    Moby - I've just googled CRM systems and I'm not after anything our clients could use
    You might need to google again. CRM is about managing information on your clients ( new / old /potential ). - simple CRM applications start off with stuff like ACT! then move up to things like Microsoft CRM at the other end of the scale , which has exactly the plugin you want but it'll be outside your budget.

Having a public folder for each client , then set up an outlook rule to copy each mail to the relevent public folder might work ?
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    • GaryRW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • DDR2 4gb
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick View Post
    Having a public folder for each client , then set up an outlook rule to copy each mail to the relevent public folder might work ?
    I think you're right.

Just a shame - I was really hoping we could have letters (word docs) & .msg's in the same folder, and can then follow the chain of correspondence in chonological order. I'm just going to have to accept that's going to cost money.

I guess there are times when I'm suprised when you can do something (getting my 5 year old tv card working 1st time in vista media center was definitely a suprise!!) and then times when I'm going to be surprised that you can't actually do something.

Cheers for the help.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick View Post
    Yep, that's what I meant. Unfortunately Outlook isn't able to copy individual .msg files on an automated basis to a network share as far as I'm aware, so Public Folders are looking like the best fit.

EDIT - you can also file your .docs etc in Public Folders too, btw.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryRW View Post
    I'm trying to set up rules in outlook to automatically file emails on a specific client in that client's folder (using client ref in title or body to make the distinction).

So far, I can only see how to do that with outlook folders (with all other docs for that client). What we have is a folder for each client on the server, but I can't find a way of getting outlook to automatically copy or move the email to a network folder, rather than an outlook one.

The only workaround so far is to set up each client folder in outlook, set up the rule to copy emails into outlook folders, and then manually copy them across to the every now and again to the network folder.

I know the answer is to spend £xx,xxx's on a proper doc management system, but sorting this one thing out would mean we could cope without one. If anyone can point me in the right direction.

(I've tried googling, but getting no where fast - I think because I don't know the technical term for a network folder - my computer folder, explorer folder, ????)
    Hi Gary,
    I realize its an old thread and you may have found a solution but it is possible to use efiler for outlook (use the cloud sync feature) with outlook rules to send emails as .msg files to any pre-defined network folders. We are actually working on some new features which will mean you will be able to deploy outlook rules to all computers across the network so you could even set up some company policies making sure certain emails are filed centrally. The search tool provided then allows for all to easily find what they are looking for without leaving outlook.
    Sean

Thread Information