Thread: Strange issue with Windows installation ... help plz !!

Cov
    Thanks
    • Cov's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH77DF
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25-M Postville & WD20EARX
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4000 & GF8800
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! 480
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 236V
      • Internet:
      • o2 (6MB Broadband)

Strange issue with Windows installation ... help plz !!

Hi, I have a strange problem this time.

I always found a way to solve my computer problems, but this time I have exhausted EVERYTHING, unsuccessful.
    I'm sitting infront of my PC, clueless and devastated, and typing this posting on a little laptop, hoping that you maybe have any idea !?!?!

Problem description

I was very happy with my Vista x86 system, but then decided to disconnect my 1TB HDD, and connect my old, empty 100MB HDD, to install Vista x64.

But the system froze during the installation process and no matter how many times I try, it always locks at one point.
    Tried then to install Vista x86, just to see what happens ... but the DVD was not accepted as valid boot DVD anymore.
    It was the very DVD which I used 1 year ago, to install Vista x86 on my new 1 TB HDD.

Anyway, I then disconnected the old 100MB HDD and connected my new 1 TB HDD to boot up Windows as usual, but it didn't come up anymore.

A message just says:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language setings, and then click @Next@.
    3. Click @Repair your computer@.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
    All attempts failed so far.

Do you have any idea what else I could try please ?

Thank you very much.

Thanks

Re: Strange issue with Windows installation ... help plz !!

Could this be related to Vista installations being "hardware locked"?

If memory serves, a hardware key is derived from the combination of the serial numbers from your HDD/Mobo/CPU, to prevent users from installing multiple copies of Vista when they are not licenced to. I personally wouldn't touch vista with a 12 foot barge pole, but have read that you may have to contact Microsoft themselves to get them to reissue you with a new registration code.

Alternatively, I could be flying in the clouds here, and being as much help as a proverbial fart in a space suit!

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

blueball

Make sure that the BIOS is detecting your disk correctly and that it is on the same connector as it was before. Additionally, make sure that none of the disk jumpers have been changed (ie from CS to MA or SL)

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

100MB disk to install Vista? Umm ...

Thanks

1) 100MB HDD? I assume you mean 100GB?
    2) Did you connect the old 1TB or a new 1TB, be clear
    3) Did you change any BIOS options to get the "100MB" to work? If so change them back.

Cov
    Thanks
    • Cov's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH77DF
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4000 & GF8800
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! 480
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 236V
      • Internet:
      • o2 (6MB Broadband)

LOL 100MB HDD ?? lololol

Well, well ... after I have regained my posture again (still have wet eyes though), I have to clarify something ...

Nah, it's not a 100MB HDD but a 100GB HDD one.

Sorry about the confusion. I stuck on a few old items, but they're not THAT old, lol.

And whether I connected an old or new 1TB HDD ?
    Not sure what that means, but I have only one 1TB HDD which I bought from Scan back in March 2008.
    The installation of Vista x86 was smooth that time and I never needed to touch the OS again since.
    The wired thing is that a re-install doesn't work anymore, and neither does my (old) XP CD. I'm as puzzled about this as you are though.

Right now, I'm installing UBUNTU on the old 100GB HDD (yes, GB !! lol), and it seems to work very smooth and speedy.
    At least I can use the internet on my big system again.

Most important to me for the moment is to be sure that I won't lose all my data, which I have collected like a squirrel, on my "new" 1TB HDD.

Otherwise I go straight away to Homebase to get a rope, you know what for, lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cov View Post
    And whether I connected an old or new 1TB HDD ?

Not sure what that means, but I have only one 1TB HDD which I bought from Scan back in March

It was the very DVD which I used 1 year ago, to install Vista x86 on my new 1 TB HDD.
    The installation of Vista x86 was smooth that time and I never needed to touch the OS again since.

The wired thing is that a re-install doesn't work anymore, and neither does my (old) XP CD. I'm as puzzled about this as you are though.
    I'd check the BIOS, and reset all settings back to default.

Most important to me for the moment is to be sure that I won't lose all my data, which I have collected like a squirrel, on my "new" 1TB HDD.
    As long as you don't format it, it'll be fine. Just should be able to access it from another PC very easily.

As for the error, it looks like the DVD is somehow now corrupt. Maybe a scratch somewhere on the disc?

Cov
    Thanks
    • Cov's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH77DF
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4000 & GF8800
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! 480
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 236V
      • Internet:
      • o2 (6MB Broadband)

Alright, I have now figured something which I never looked into really.

There is no boot.ini existing under Vista, just a Bootloader.
    The new boot system is divided into three components:

1. Windows Boot Manager
    2. Load routine for the opertaing system
    3. Routine to continue Windows from hibernation

Until XP, these tasks were done by ntldr.
    Vista installs a own bootloader, Boot Configuration Data Store (BCD).

The new tool for the boot options is called bcedit.

As I cannot make the installation disk boot, I will try the following.

By now, Ubuntu has been installed on the old 100GB (!) HDD, that was quick !!
    I will switch off the system, connect the new 1TB HDD in addition to the old 100GB one as a secondary drive.

Then, hmmm, will I be able t access / modify / repair the bootloader BCD on the drive where Vista is located ?

Thanks

Oh boy.. have you check the BIOS setup?

Cov
    Thanks
    • Cov's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH77DF
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4000 & GF8800
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! 480
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 236V
      • Internet:
      • o2 (6MB Broadband)

Having booted ub the freshly installed UBUNTU, I can see the 1TB HDD in the File Browser, but when clicking on it, the following message comes up:

Cannot mount volume.

Details:
    $LogFile indicates unclean shutdown ... Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use.
    Choose one action:

1. Disconnect the external devices by clicking on the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the Windows taskbar, then shut down Windows cleanly.

2. If you don't have Windows then you can use the "force" option for your own resposibility.
    For exmaple type on the command line: mount -t ntfs-3g/dev/sdal/media/disk -0 force

... or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file: /dev/sda1 /media/disk ntfs-3g force 0 0
    ???

Thanks

Alright, I have now figured something which I never looked into really.

There is no boot.ini existing under Vista, just a Bootloader.
    The new boot system is divided into three components:

1. Windows Boot Manager
    2. Load routine for the opertaing system
    3. Routine to continue Windows from hibernation

Until XP, these tasks were done by ntldr.
    Vista installs a own bootloader, Boot Configuration Data Store (BCD).

The new tool for the boot options is called bcedit.

As I cannot make the installation disk boot, I will try the following.

By now, Ubuntu has been installed on the old 100GB (!) HDD, that was quick !!
    I will switch off the system, connect the new 1TB HDD in addition to the old 100GB one as a secondary drive.

Then, hmmm, will I be able t access / modify / repair the bootloader BCD on the drive where Vista is located ?
    BCD is a complex beast, one that I haven't got to grips with first. It's all command line based, and I tend to use a front-end UI such as EasyBCD.

Having booted ub the freshly installed UBUNTU, I can see the 1TB HDD in the File Browser, but when clicking on it, the following message comes up:

???
    No idea mate, I'm not an Ubuntu expert. Whack it into another Windows machine, and see what it says then. This 1TB HDD we are talking about, is it internal or external?

Splash

The error is stating that Windows wasn't closed down cleanly.

Basically in swapping around the disk with the bootloader on you have somehow goosed it. Your best bet would be to boot from the Vista DVD and select the option to repair boot problems, though this will screw with grub for the Ubuntu install (though I believe you should be able to set grub back up easily enough, so that it chain-loads the Vista bootloader)

Cov
    Thanks
    • Cov's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH77DF
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4000 & GF8800
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! 480
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 236V
      • Internet:
      • o2 (6MB Broadband)

Sorry for the late reply, had to do something non-computer related all day.

To summarize what has happened:

So, I have a PC running the Windows Vista x86 version.

I tried to install Windows Vista x64 but all went wrong in a wired kind of way.

1. I installed Windows Vista x86 one year ago on a 1TB SATA HDD and it was working fine ever since.

2. Yesterday I disconnected my 1TB HDD and connected an old, empty 100GB PATA HDD where I tried to install Vista x64.

3. The installation process went half way through when it froze at one point.
    After having tried it unsuccessful 100 times to make it work, I then disconnected the old 100GB HDD and re-connected the 1TB HDD again, to boot up my Windows Vista x86.

5. I wouldn't run anymore and the following error message came up:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language setings, and then click "Next".
    3. Click "Repair your computer".

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
    6. The Vista DVD, which I used one year ago, is not bootable anymore and I don't know why.
    Meaning, I cannot use this DVD to repair my installation!

7. I then disconnected the 1TB HDD and re-connected the old 100GB HDD and installed Ubuntu. The process went smooth and speedy.

8. Then I switched off the system and re-connected the 1TB SATA HDD as a secondary drive in addition to the 100GB HDD.

9. After booting up Ubuntu, the File Browser does find the additional 1TB HDD but when trying to access it, the following message comes up:

Cannot mount volume.

Details:
    $LogFile indicates unclean shutdown ... Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use.
    Choose one action:

a. Disconnect the external devices by clicking on the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the Windows taskbar, then shut down Windows cleanly.

b. If you don't have Windows then you can use the "force" option for your own resposibility.
    For exmaple type on the command line: mount -t ntfs-3g/dev/sdal/media/disk -0 force

... or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file: /dev/sda1 /media/disk ntfs-3g force 0 0
    10. My problem is how to repair the bootsector of my 1TB HDD with Vista x86, so that I can boot from it again.
    Without being able to boot from the Vista DVD (Methode 1), the only other way is the way described from step 6 onwards at Methode 2:

Method 1: Repair the BCD store by using the Startup Repair option

You can use the Startup Repair option in the Windows Recovery Environment to repair the BCD store. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when you are prompted.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.
    7. Restart the computer.

Method 2: Rebuild the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool

If the previous method does not resolve the problem, you can rebuild the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press ENTER.
    * If the Bootrec.exe tool runs successfully, it presents you with an installation path of a Windows directory. To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes. A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.
    * If the Bootrec.exe tool cannot locate any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then you must re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order in which they are presented. Press ENTER after each command.Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    Bootrec /rebuildbcd
    8. Restart the computer.

Method 3: Rebuild the BCD store manually by using the Bcdedit.exe tool

If the previous method does not resolve the problem, you can rebuild the BCD store manually by using the Bcdedit.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment. To do this, follow these steps:

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    7. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:cd /d Partition:\Windows\System32
    Note Partition represents the letter of the partition on which Windows Vista is installed. Typically, this is partition C.
    8. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /enum all
    In the Windows Boot Loader section of the output from this command, note the GUID that is listed for resumeobject. You will use this GUID later.
    9. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit -create {bootmgr} -d "Description"
    Note Description represents the description for the new entry.
    10. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit -set {bootmgr} device partition=Partition:
    Note Partition represents the letter of the partition. Typically, the letter is C.
    11. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /displayorder {GUID}
    Note GUID represents the GUID that you obtained in step 8.
    12. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /default {GUID}
    Note GUID represents the GUID that you obtained in step 8.
    13. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /timeout Value
    Note Value represents the time in seconds before the Windows Boot Manager selects the default entry that you created in step 12.
    14. Restart the computer.
    The questions is, can I access / modify / repair the BCD Store on the 1TB HDD via the Ubuntu platform at all ?

If you know where to go from here or have any other idea of what I could possibly try, would you mind helping me please ?

Thank you very much !

PS: This was a lesson for me not to play around when things work fine.
    Once I'm able to recover Vista again, I will dedicate an HHD only for the OS while keeping the 1TB HDD as data storage only.
    Should have done it this way much earlier, but you know what they say:
    You only start missing something when you lost it.

Cov
    Thanks
    • Cov's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH77DF
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4000 & GF8800
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! 480
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 236V
      • Internet:
      • o2 (6MB Broadband)

When I started my hobby on PCs, I thought you can install an OS on one HDD and connect it to any other machine to boot it up.

That, of course, doesn't work. Where and why the system holds exact details of the configuration is unknown to me because I'm too much of a noob on that field.

I started off with a Commodore 64, where the OS was stored on a chip, meaning that it was instantly available when switched on, so I never really understood why the OS on PCs had to be loaded from an HDD.

Wouldn't it be possible to burn Windows Vista SP1, for example, onto a chip (which would boot up within seconds I guess), and let after that load any modifications of settings as well as further updates from HDD ?

Anyway, I would like to let you know that I have managed my 1TB HDD to boot up ok again just a few minutes ago. In fact I'm typing this posting on my good old system.

How did I do it ?

1. Remember, I installed Ubuntu on my 100GB HDD.

Then I downloaded the WINDOWS VISTA RECOVERY DISC (120MB) and burned it with the help of BlindWrite onto an empty CD.

Windows Vista Recovery Disk Download

2. Then I reset the system and changed the BIOS to boot from the DVD drive..

After save and restart, the system booted from the CD and it became dark (on the screen) & quiet for a while.

First I thought it was frozen again because even the LED of the HDD stopped completely for minutes.

3. On the screen suddenly appeared an option where you could select to repair the OS on a particular drive.

The HDD was working for a while like it was finding out what OS had a problem, but after another minute it gave me the option to repair and reboot without selecting anything.

It did something for a while, then it rebooted and my trusted Windows Vista came up slowly, step-by-step..

It took ages and I was just watching every little movement on the screen and listening to every little, tiny noise the HDD made.

I think my heart stopped beating for a couple of seconds prior to the appearance of my beloved leather background (stolen from Ubuntu).

A few seconds later the Everest readings and RocketDock came up as the final part of the boot-up process.

I'm not a strong believer tbh, but I think I fold my hands to pray

Amen

Thanks

its great that you got it working, and thanks for posting your fix. I'm sure this will be useful to someone.

In regards to your original problem with the installation "hanging":

At what screen did it hang?
    Could you still move the mouse?
    Did it give an error message, or simply not do anything?

The reason I ask is because when I was installing Win7 beta and Win7 RC1, there was a screen in the setup that just hung for a very long time (I believe it was after the screen where you select the date & timezone). You could still move the mouse and stuff.

At first I thought it just messed up so I rebooted and started the installation process again.

It kept happening. I eventually just let it sit for like 30 minutes, and it FINALLY progressed and installed normally.

Thanks

sounds like a BIOS issue, silly point but are all connectors on correctly, jumpers set correctly.......try the simple things first

Thread Information