Thread: First-time format

Thanks

First-time format

Hi.

There's loads of crap on the family PC (spyware, stuff that the computer thinks is installed, but isn't, etc). Time for a Format, I think. The thing is, I've never done something like this. I've read through the manual, but it is very vague when describing how to format, and the results. It mentions a 'Quick Format' that deletes Windows, and some kind of 'Fdisk' command.
    Could someone help, please? I really don't want to screw up the PC.

Thanks
    What windows you use? is it xp?

Is the pc custome built? (by you) Or did it come with a restor CD?
    Last edited by myth; 29-07-2004 at 10:02 PM.

Thanks
    It's a Packard Bell with Win 98, and has a couple of 'Master Boot' disks with all the basic stuff on (Windows, Word etc).

The manual says to put the floppy disk in the floppy drive, and the CD in the CD drive, to intiate Smart Restore (with the option to Format, fiddle around with Dos, and other stuff). I'm okay with that bit. It's mainly the difference between a Quick Format, and Fdisk, that I'm worried about. Would a Quick Format wipe all the crap from my computer (this is what I want)? Or would it leave room for Spyware to hide? What is an Fdisk?

I know I sound really stupid. I was okay with this up to a week ago, but my mate said he completetly screwed up his £2000 PC by messing with Formatting. That did get me slightly worried.
    Last edited by Fletch; 30-07-2004 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    Format is where you create the file system. A quick format basically wipes the table that records how files are stored. Without that the files may as well be gone. A full format rewrites the filesystem over the whole partition - useful if there are disk errors or the drive hasn't been formatted before.

Fdisk is a program used to create partitions. Most drives only have one partition (and as a result one drive letter in windows.) You can have more, but on a standard home system there isn't THAT much point. There isn't really a point to using fdisk if all you want to do is wipe things and start again.

Personally, I'd do a full format, although you could use fdisk, delete the partition and create a new one, in which case you'll still have to format anyway...

I can't see how you can screw up a computer by formatting it. The REAL problem is making sure you have all the drivers you need. If I've lost you anywhere, then ask away...
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thread Information