Thread: Automatci folder backup under linux?

Registered+
    Thanks

Automatic folder backup under linux?

Happy new year everyone!

I have recently installed a Fedora box on my PC, it is running my network emails with Kerio Mail. I have been extremely impressed with how easy the whole operation was and want to start learning more about Linux.

I want to backup daily a folder from the linux box to an other windows machine on the network. How can I do this automatically?

I would like to understand how I can mount as well a drive or a folder from a windows machine to my linux box.

Thank you for your help,

E
    Last edited by E4xtraordinary; 03-01-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    I'd imagine you'd run some form of CRON job to copy the files to another location ?
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks
    If the windows file system is on the same drive/machine as the Linux system, then you can mount it with an entry in FSTAB - however NTFS file systems are not well supported, so it is better to mount them read only.

To run jobs automatically, you need to set up a CRON job (as Moby Dick mentioned) To learn about your distro, I would recommend you invest in some good books. You might like to browse the following at Waterstones... The Fedora Core (x - whatever version you are using) Bible (there are several Fedora Core books available - browse and see which one you prefer) or for general Linux books, try "Linux in a Nutshell", "The Linux Cookbook" or "The Linux Pocket Guide". Waterstones or Borderer have a huge section on Linux...

To read windows files on a different (networked) machine, you need to set use SAMBA - again the text books will tell you how. To read files on the Linux machine from the Windows machine, you need to set up a SAMBA server on the Linux box.
    Last edited by peterb; 03-01-2006 at 12:08 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks
    I am afraid you already have completely lost me. As I say I am all new to linux. What is CRON and how do I set the othe location as it is not local but on a network. All these thing I would know how to do under windows, but I haven't got a clue on linux.

What I would like to do according to my windows way of working understanding would be:
    1. To mount the folder on my windows machine I want to copy to on my Linux box - Haven't got a cue how to do that...
    2. Copy the folder to the new mount using terminal - Haven't got a clue how to do that...
    3. Unmount the folder - should know how to do that from the time I learn how to mount it!
    4. Create a script that does all the above automatically.

Now this is my understanding of the thing, however any explanation how to do the above or any better ideas are most welcome as I usually don't really know what I am talking about!

E

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb
    If the windows file system is on the same drive/machine as the Linux system, then you can mount it with an entry in FSTAB - however NTFS file systems are not well supported, so it is better to mount them read only.
    Yeah my windows file system is NTFS, if I set the mount read only, I won't be able to copy my folder would I?

To run jobs automatically, you need to set upa CRON job (as Moby Dick mentioned) To learn about your distro, I would recommend you invest inm some good books. You might loike to browse the following at Waterstones... The Fedora Core (x - whatever version you are using) Bible (there are several Fedora Core books available - browse and see which one you prefer) or for general Linux books, try "Linux in a Nutshell", "The Linux Cookbook" or "The Linux Pocket Guide". Waterstones or Borderer have a huge section on Linux...

To read windows files on a different (networked) machine, you need to set use SAMBA - again the text books will tell you how. To read files on the Linux machine from the Windows machine, you need to set up a SAMBA server on the Linux box.
    I guess I will have to do that and start reading, but as I am a leazy boy I hoped it could have been avoided!

E

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by E4xtraordinary
    As I say I am all new to linux.

E
    And you have probably spent quite a while learning these howtos on windows. Really the best way to learn is by doing, so do get at least one of the books I mentioned (or at least look at them) - you will learn more about the fundamentals of Linux (and OS systems) that way, and become more proficient at general Linux administration...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Think we are cross posting...! The later FC do have NTFS support - but reports re that it can be unreliable - I have an experimental FC2 machine (which I don't have acess to at the moment). You could create a FAT partition on the windows machine for back up - or install a second hard drive in the linux box and backup to that... (CRON is a background job - daemon in *nix terms) that runs continuously and performs certain tasks that you specify - such as run a script - at predetermined times. A bit like task scheduler in Windows)
    Last edited by peterb; 03-01-2006 at 12:18 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Registered+
    Thanks
    Really the best way to learn is by doing, so do get at least one of the books I mentioned (or at least look at them) - you will learn more about the fundamentals of Linux (and OS systems) that way, and become more proficient at general Linux administration...
    Me again, thank you for the tip. I still don't know how to backup but I am now armed with: Red Hat Fedora and Enterprise Linux 4 Bible (Bible S.), should take me a couple of hours to get through the whole thing! Or maybe a few weeks, but I think they will be well spent! The book look good and helpful and I think that I will learn as you say about the fundamentals of Linux & other OS in general. I feel like I am starting again to learn how to use a computer!

Cheers,

E
    Last edited by E4xtraordinary; 03-01-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by E4xtraordinary
    I feel like I am starting again to learn how to use a computer!
    Essentially you are. Linux is fundamentally different to Windows, so to learn how to use it you have to ignore what you thought you knew about computers from using Windows.

Thanks
    Just a little lite reading then! Good luck - you won't regret it!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

HEXUS.net Webmaster
    Thanks
    Not overly useful fo Linux but foldershare runs a P2P on a network to keep folders in sync https://www.foldershare.com/

Senile Member
    Thanks
    use backup2l set in a cron job that backs up to a samba mount of your desired windows machine.

You might not know what all these things are now but if you read the docs for them you'll be able to figure it out.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPutty
    use backup2l set in a cron job that backs up to a samba mount of your desired windows machine.

You might not know what all these things are now but if you read the docs for them you'll be able to figure it out.
    Indeed all this are things I have never heard of! Thank you for your encouragement, the book look absolutely great and it even look like I can understand what the guy is talking about, I am looking forward a lot of trial and error, but the prospect of having a stable operating system that is free is tempting enough!

E.

Thread Information