• 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci View Post
    Are you suggesting that regular hexus readers who are hardware enthusiasts should register with Microsoft as system builders if they build a one off PC for personal or family use?

If it is just a simple matter of filling a quick online form, and no fee where involved I would not mind doing it just to get a cheap Vista upgrade, but it sounds like a lot of trouble, especialy for microsoft.

I can imagine their sales flunkies phoning me every month asking how many systems I shipped, and trying to sell me OEM coppies of office to include with them.
    You can register, but as I understand it you don't have to in order to buy OEM software. To be legally entitled (under the terms of the OEM licence) to buy an OEM version of Windows, you just have to buy a qualifying piece of hardware at the same time. For MCE that piece of hardware can be something as small as even a TV tuner card or an official Microsoft MCE remote control.

IIRC, for XP Pro OEM edition you just had to buy a motherboard or something with it. Of course, you are supposed to use the OEM software only with the hardware you buy with it. I don't know what the terms and officially listed bits of hardware for Vista are but I imagine you can probably find out on the MS website.

If it wasn't legal to sell OEM software in this way I'd imagine Microsoft would be quick to put a stop to it.
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Splash
    You're not just buying OEM software, the OP was talking about the upgrade coupon which (from my understanding) requires an invoice for a full system built by a registered System Builder in order that Microsoft will honour it.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    The registration thingy is really for people who want to set up a pre-installation stuff - like MESH or DELL who have brand specific windows setups.

OEM software comes in two types it seems - that for end users to buy off an OEM distributor and that for system builders to buy to put on systems they then sell to a customer. Scan usually sell the first type, which comes with a hardware requirement of just one component. A while ago Scan got the wrong type in, and had to change their clause to say only for sale with a complete system, because they got the ones for system builders. I got one of these and when you install it directly you have missing bits of information, like system manufacturer and system model (it says 'To be completed by system builder' or something). To fill in those bits you need an OEM Preinstallation Kit and you need to be registered to get hold of one of them.

The end-user type just takes the information directly from the motherboard, and hence is tied license-wise to the motherboard.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    You're not just buying OEM software, the OP was talking about the upgrade coupon which (from my understanding) requires an invoice for a full system built by a registered System Builder in order that Microsoft will honour it.
    OK, I guess I need to explain what I want to do, so I can ask what my options are.

I am looking to build a new PC in the next week or so. Apart from the peripherals, and a few odd parts like the optical drive, all the main components will be purchased new for the purpose from scan, so I should definitely qualify for an OEM licence. I don’t want to buy a retail PC, because I would like more choice over the components, and as far as I know, Scan don’t build fully custom systems.

Even though Vista is due out in a matter of weeks, I would prefer to buy XP now, and use an upgrade coupon, as that way I can always downgrade if Vista suffers from stabilbility problems, or I find the DRM to onerous. Also Vista could get delayed I won’t be stuck waiting for an uncertain length of time.

I was originally planning to buy Windows XP Media Centre with an upgrade token to Vista Home premium, but it now looks like Microsoft might only honour that upgrade token if I can produce a valid invoice from a system builder. If what splash is saying is correct, it sounds like the solution would be to register as a system builder with Microsoft, and create a fake invoice to my wife for the system I build. It sounds like a lot of trouble and paperwork for Microsoft, but if that is what it takes, then I would prefer to do it rather than waiting for Vista to come out, and not being able to downgrade to Windows XP if necessary.

Is this the best way forward? or can someone think of a better suggestion?

Thanks

Splash
    I must stress that this is only my understanding of a very confusing situation, but I believe it is the case that if you buy an OEM copy of XP MCE with an upgrade voucher to Vista Home Premium you would require an invoice for a Vista Capable PC which would be tied to the license (or vice versa) in order for Microsoft to honour the upgrade voucher.

What we could really do with is someone like Paul Adams to drop by and clarify the situation, isn't it?
    Last edited by Splash; 03-01-2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: clarification!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    I must stress that this is only my understanding of a very confusing situation, but I believe it is the case that if you buy an OEM copy of XP MCE with an upgrade voucher to Vista Home Premium you would require an invoice for a Vista Capable PC which would be tied to the license (or vice versa) in order for Microsoft to honour the upgrade voucher.

What we could really do with is someone like Paul Adams to drop by and clarify the situation, isn't it?
    exactly... im getting more and more confused as to how upgrades works... Are there discounts if you upgrade you current windows etc??? something like that. Ive even searched froogle and lo and behold i found a webbie selling an ultimate upgrade pack for £25... go search "vista upgrade" then arrange it for low to highest price... second page a £25 upgrade pack.. the heck????

Thanks
    That's media only.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by Leepox View Post
    exactly... im getting more and more confused as to how upgrades works... Are there discounts if you upgrade you current windows etc??? something like that. Ive even searched froogle and lo and behold i found a webbie selling an ultimate upgrade pack for £25... go search "vista upgrade" then arrange it for low to highest price... second page a £25 upgrade pack.. the heck????
    Overclockers have allready listed Vista as being avalable for pre-orderp. Upgrade versions are included, and cost roughly the same as OEM versions.

They don't specify what the rules are for upgrades. Eg what you can upgrade from, and what kind of licene you end up with afterwards.

I'd have a double vodka over a lager anyday
    Thanks
    yes but keep in mind about some of the stories some hexus members have reported with OC.

On the other hand.. £80 for Vista Business OEM. Get in!

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by mosherben View Post
    yes but keep in mind about some of the stories some hexus members have reported with OC.

On the other hand.. £80 for Vista Business OEM. Get in!
    I would never suggest that anyone buy from OcUk, I have had plenty of bad experences there, and I know others here have had worse. I just pointed to their website as they appear to be one of the first to publish pre-order pricing.

Personaly I would not bother with Vista Business, as for me the big headline feature is the Aero Glass interface and DX10, which presumably the Business version lacks.

Thanks
    Nope, all but "home basic" have Aero and DX10 as far as I'm aware. I wouldn't say people would buy it for Aero anyway - WindowBlinds can do a lot of it in software for a fraction of the cost.

It's things such as the shift to x64, DX10 itself, the superb memory management that's going to be more useful. Of course, the hoards in PC World who see a laptop and go "oooooooh must buy!" will like Aero, but that's no different to seeing a shiny laptop anyway, so isn't going to make much difference.

The main differenced between the home and business editions are the likes of Media Centre - the whole home entertainment suite. Business will include remote desktops and the likes. Ultimate will, of course, include everything.

Thanks
    • tinners's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel P35 Shuttle
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6700 @ 3.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • OCZ - 2Gb + Corsair TwinX 2Gb
      • Storage:
      • Raptor X 150Gb + 2TB Tranquil Windows Home Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX ATI 5770
      • PSU:
      • Shuttle PSU
      • Case:
      • Shuttle SP35P2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP (A04)
      • Internet:
      • Talk Talk, hovering around 1Mb
    A. No ... This product must be pre-install by the System Builder onto the fully assembled PC before the unit ships to the end user. The end user must use the reciept of his fully assembled pre installed PC to claim the upgrade and only original forms supplied by an authorised system builder will be accepted.

The info is here

To quote Scan

The XP licence sold at the moment + Vista Upgrade is only applicable for fully built systems as stated on the Product Information.

Only the " To be released " OEM version of Vista can be purchased with seperate parts.
    Bummer. Hope the OEM version costs less than £185....http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=527301

Thanks
    Home Premium OEM is only £67 at OcUK for pre-order, and you'd imagine most places will sell it at around the same price (software is similar prices where-ever you get it, in contrast to hardware). You can only buy either 32-bit or 64-bit OEM, whereas the retail version has both included in the price (probably on the same disk).

Ultimate OEM is £115.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information