Thread: Yay, ATi release Xorg 7.2 drivers

UKMuFFiN

Yay, ATi release Xorg 7.2 drivers

After the dissapointment of finding out there wasn't support for xorg 7.2 after installing openSUSE 10.2 and hearing from people that they doubted ATi would release a driver any time soon, im pleasantly suprised that such a driver has been released!

Quote Originally Posted by Release notes:
    Resolved Issues

The following section provide a brief description of resolved issues with the latest version of the AMD Proprietary Linux driver. These include:

* The ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 is now being properly identified when viewing the OpenGL renderer string. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24428
    * Switching between X Server and text console mode no longer results in a system failing to respond. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24421
    * Corruption is no longer noticed when setting the texture sampler's filter to GL_NEAREST. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24429
    * The Extended Display Identification Data is now displayed for Display Data Channel display devices in the X Server log. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24422
    * The ati directory is now removed from /usr/share when uninstalling the graphics driver using the fglrx-uninstall.sh uninstall script. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24423
    * Installing the graphics driver and configure the driver for dual-head mode no longer results in the operating system failing to respond when hot-unplugging the display device and restarting the X Server. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24424
    * Starting the X Server in dual-head mode no longer requires the DRM kernel module to be present. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24425
    * Catalyst Linux 8.32.5 provides improvements in the Tripos SYBYL performance. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24426

Known Issues

The following section provides a brief description of known issues associated with the latest version of AMD Proprietary Linux driver. These issues include:

* Attempting to install the AMD Proprietary Linux driver on distributions that have updated certain 3D components outside of the stock XOrg 6.8.2 may result in the driver not initializing 3D applications properly. Further details can be found in topic number 737-20868
    * Loading the XVideo Extension on 64-bit Xorg 6.9+ systems causes the X Server to segfault on launch with Radeon X1K products. Further details and the workaround can be found in topic number 737-22837
    * A system hang may occur when attempting to resume from hibernation mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-22059
    However support for the final release of xorg 7.2 is still a bit dodgy, I don't really understand whats wrong but there is a work around apparently

Thanks
    this may seem harsh, but how can you expect a company to support a pre-release product ?
    such as xorg 7.2
    It is Inevitable.....

UKMuFFiN
    didnt realise it was still pre release

and besides, Nvidia's drivers support it so to compete, ATi should too shouldn't they?

Thanks
    Hmmm I think nvidias drivers are just "compatible". Just because one brand has compatability for a pre-release product doesn't mean the others.

HINT: if you look around you will find there are some ATI packages out there that are also pre-release to test compatability, but by choosing to use a pre-release Xserver and a pre-release driver you're pretty much on your own in terms of support any how.

Don't jump the gun, wait for xorg 7.2 to be released and I think you'll find an ati compatible 7.2 package waiting for download.

Also the ATI driver in 7.2 for ati cards is support to be a big jump forward.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    shame performance still sucks

Thanks
    I said it was "better" not good.
    It is Inevitable.....

UKMuFFiN
    Quote Originally Posted by ikonia View Post

Don't jump the gun, wait for xorg 7.2 to be released and I think you'll find an ati compatible 7.2 package waiting for download.

Also the ATI driver in 7.2 for ati cards is support to be a big jump forward.
    I didn't choose it.... well technically I did by choosing openSUSE 10.2 but its in there by default which is why I thought it was a proper release... ah well.

Thread Information