Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 250lb, 6'2"... need to lose weight!

mmh
    Thanks

250lb, 6'2"... need to lose weight!

so, yeah... Its been building up over time since my band broke up (and even before then if im honest)... i work 9-5 sitting at a desk and i just cant seem to get motivated when i get home so the weight has piled on... I've tried walking to and from work too, and although i love doing it... i cant wake up early enough to get in on time - walking home doesnt matter as i never really have anything to do...

after a few chats with my friend, it was decided that he'd help me get active by doing activities with me... mainly running...

we had our first jog together yesturday... and ive just mapped out the route... works out at about 3.5 miles a good mix of up and down hill (living in a place called "Brierley Hill" obviously its not all flat running...

It killed me, haha... im the most unfit person that i know, and i couldnt jog for more than a few hundred metres at a time... due to being out of breath... generally we tried not to stop completely stationary (gotta admit the guy i went with didnt even seem to break a sweat whereas i was nackered!)...

Now i ache all over today...

i have a few questions really...

is it beneficial to continue running whilst my muscles still ache? for example, we are set to go for another run tomorow and my calves are killing... is it best to keep running and go through the pain, or let the muscles recover from the run yesturday first?

I'm thinking of trying to get into a routine... i.e. running sundays, tuesdays and possibly thursdays/fridays... on the days between i'd like to try and work out some more at home, to help speed up the process of losing some of the extra weight... the only things i can think of so far are stomach crunches (because being this fat, i cant do full situps with my stomach is in the way ) and pressups...

does anyone have any guides for where to start on reps, or techniques...

with stomach crunches i generally lie flat and pull myself up until i feel the pull on my abs, hold it for 5 seconds, then gently lower myself down... how many reps should i be doing? and is there a better technique?

also how many pressups should i be aiming to do?

baring in mind i dont want to pull anything and i have been very inactive for an inordinate amount of time!

I really dont want to join a gym... not yet atleast... as someone mentioned in the "Fatties" thread... theres a barrier, it may be psychological, but its definately there with being a larger guy going into a gym full of people who already look fit... so i want to be able to make some improvements first and see it working before i join a gym to step up my game a bit... especially as i have a past with dropping gym memberships after going a few times because its "too tough"...

basically i dont wanna pay a months worth of membership, to go a few times and get nackered straight away and get disheartened by the good looking people who (rightly or wrongly would be looking down upon me for being a fat useless slob).... maybe get a bit of fitness and stamina built up before spending money and subjecting myself to this environment...

at the minute i m trying not to cut back on what i eat, as i seem to have levelled off at a point where I'm not adding anymore weight, so theorectially atleast whatever excersize i do is going to be more than what i was doing before and should (slowly) lose weight... I will be trying to cut back on the fizzy drinks though, because that practically all i drink :/

I was contemplating keeping an online diary to my progress (which would hopefully be a bit of incentive to keep up the work) but im not really sure where to do it... has anyone else done this?

Sorry for the long post... any input/tips would be appreciated!

Ste
    : RFNX Ste | : stegough | www.stegough.com

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Re: 250lb, 6'2"... need to lose weight!

Quote Originally Posted by mmh View Post
    I've tried walking to and from work too, and although i love doing it... i cant wake up early enough to get in on time - walking home doesnt matter as i never really have anything to do...
    Bike? I cycle to work because it gets me there a bit quicker...

I will be trying to cut back on the fizzy drinks though, because that practically all i drink :/
    This can't be helping - just drink water, I know it's boring but it's good for you (or not bad for you).

Don't try and do too much straight away, build up. General exercise such as running or swimming (I'd recommend swimming especially with winter coming up) would be better than specific exercises such as press-ups to get started. Just do something 2 or 3 times a week, don't go out day after day when you hurt. Then maybe something like the TA fitness programme when you're feeling keener.

3. Received thanks from:

mmh (02-11-2009)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

It killed me, haha... im the most unfit person that i know, and i couldnt jog for more than a few hundred metres at a time... due to being out of breath... generally we tried not to stop completely stationary (gotta admit the guy i went with didnt even seem to break a sweat whereas i was nackered!)...

Now i ache all over today...
    This is absolutely normal - I'd have been shocked if it hadn't happened to be honest!

is it beneficial to continue running whilst my muscles still ache? for example, we are set to go for another run tomorow and my calves are killing... is it best to keep running and go through the pain, or let the muscles recover from the run yesturday first?
    Very very light running would be okay, but I would generally prefer to recover first. They will ache again the second time, but much less. By the third or fourth time (after recovery) your muscles will probably be fine from painful ache and you'll get just the usual burn from excercise.

I'm thinking of trying to get into a routine... i.e. running sundays, tuesdays and possibly thursdays/fridays... on the days between i'd like to try and work out some more at home, to help speed up the process of losing some of the extra weight... the only things i can think of so far are stomach crunches (because being this fat, i cant do full situps with my stomach is in the way ) and pressups...
    I don't think cruches or pressups will do anything to help weight loss, personally.

at the minute i m trying not to cut back on what i eat, as i seem to have levelled off at a point where I'm not adding anymore weight, so theorectially atleast whatever excersize i do is going to be more than what i was doing before and should (slowly) lose weight... I will be trying to cut back on the fizzy drinks though, because that practically all i drink :/
    Absolutely cut back on fizzy drinks. Be careful with your eating though - the natural response is to eat more after excercising.. and what's worse is you won't notice yourself doing it. You may have to conciously cut back, or at least, think of it as if you were, just to maintain current calorie levels without increasing them.

I was contemplating keeping an online diary to my progress (which would hopefully be a bit of incentive to keep up the work) but im not really sure where to do it... has anyone else done this?
    Without knowing anything better I'd suggest something like google docs! Diaries of any sort are massively helpful in keeping up progress. You might want to also record food/drink stuff at the same time as it'll help you spot if you're subconciously increasing intake.

5. Received thanks from:

mmh (02-11-2009)

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

I would rest. Take it slowly to start off with. If you injure yourself you will set yourself back further.
    the only things i can think of so far are stomach crunches and pressups...
    While press ups are not a bad exercise to start of with, crunches/situps are a waste of time. You need to get some weights. Heavy compounds exercises (eg squats) are the most effective at burning fat as you are using more muscle in each rep.

Have a look at this site: http://stronglifts.com/

If you buy weights, make sure you get 2" olympic bars/plates

7. Received thanks from:

mmh (02-11-2009)

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

I'm 6ft, 13 stone 6 or so at the moment, looking to drop down to between 11.5 and 12 stone in the future... admittedly I haven't succeeded (because I've only recently started being proactive about the situation), and I know very little about the biological side of things, but what I would say is this:

Only ever do what you find motivating.

In the past I thought I was much too busy to exercise (and being at school doing A levels I was probably half-right), so I figured that the key was my diet. However, putting myself onto some ridiculous diets I'd come up with, such as my "dinner is all you need" diet, just completely demoralised me and made me extremely depressed - I love food, and I make no particular secret of it - sitting there denying myself food all the time just made me think about it constantly and took me to the point where I was so demoralised I gave up.

Obviously you don't have that same kind of issue - evidently your diet is okay - but the point I'm making is that if you do anything that you aren't happy with you'll never make any progress. If you go out running when everything aches, and get home with everything aching even more, you'll just feel rubbish and probably be less inclined to go out the next time. The longer it goes on, the worse you feel and the less likely you are to come out of the other end.

Start with what you're happy with, even if that's just a 15 minute jog or a long (and fast) walk, and then see how it goes. If you're doing too much and it's leaving you dissatisfied, cut down, or if you feel like you've got more energy to burn then up it a little. You might be able to force yourself through a harsh regime for a fortnight or so, but unless it's something that you can continue on a long-term basis then it's completely worthless, so just do what you're happy with. After all, being satisfied and happy is far more important than your BMI number on a chart.

If you wanted to keep a diary, I'd thoroughly recommend it - my girlfriend is watching over my progress which is fine with me, but however you manage it, if you put a bit of information out there then you'll get people there to encourage you and give any tips/advice on a daily basis about what you should try or do differently on specific occasions when the norm might not be appropriate. Even just to post your progress on here would probably be useful, it helps you gauge how far you've come and I'm sure you'd get a fairly decent crowd who'd check in every now and again to make sure it's all going smoothly.

9. Received thanks from:

mmh (02-11-2009)

Registered+
    Thanks

Just for note mmh, no one in a gym is gonna look down on you for getting of ya ass and doing something positive, certainly none of the guys n gals I know would. In fact most of them would be inspired by it.

11. Received thanks from:

mmh (02-11-2009)

mmh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KIAEddZ View Post
    Just for note mmh, no one in a gym is gonna look down on you for getting of ya ass and doing something positive, certainly none of the guys n gals I know would. In fact most of them would be inspired by it.
    seriously, theres part of me that knows this... but with being a big guy, theres a huge (no pun intended) mental image to get over, and atleast being more motivated than i currently am (by hopefully seeing some results of what i can do without the gym) will help me put aside these issues...

Thanks for the input people

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Can't be bothered quoting so will just reply.

I am in the same boot, got a bit of weight on and now want to lose it.

Been going gym for a few months, although at first it was speradic due to my fitness, shin splints and holidays but since coming back from holiday I have hit the gym running to be honest and enjoying it more. I have stopped drinking fizzy drinks completely, I haven't touched a fizzy drink in about 2 weeks, not even thought about it to be honest. For the first 2 or 3 days I really noticed it, felt extremely tired at about 2:30pm, but it's got easier and I no longer feel tired. I drink water mainly now, the odd cup of tea here and there that I didnt used to do.

I have also cut down on the food I eat, a hell of a lot. More fruit and less crap. When I feel like snacking, I eat an apple or a bannana and have generally stopped myself eating crap when I get snacky. I have started eating smaller meals and resisting the urge to pop into the shop and buy a bag of crisps or bar of chocolate. Infact to the point where I am refusing stuff when offered such as chocolate and sweets without even thinking about it.

As for the gym, I do about an hour to an hour and half two days a week at the moment, mainly cardio work but some muscle/ fitneses stuff included. I have noticed a change in myself, not the weight side, but my energy and general fitness side. It might be hard at first but it does get easier.

I really should weigh myself and get an idea of what weight I am at.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

14. Received thanks from:

mmh (02-11-2009)

Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

seriously, theres part of me that knows this... but with being a big guy, theres a huge (no pun intended) mental image to get over, and atleast being more motivated than i currently am (by hopefully seeing some results of what i can do without the gym) will help me put aside these issues...

Thanks for the input people

As has been said, don't worry about people looking down on you or any of that, everyone is at the gym to either lose weight or get fit, regardless of what they say. I get on the tredmill, stick me head phones in and run for usually around thirty minutes, usually ending in a 1 or 2 minute sprint at speed 14 or 15 then the usual cool down. Kills me but feels good afterwards!
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

mmh
    Thanks

went for a walk today, i absolutely couldnt jog if i tried, atleast not without being in agonising pain tomorow morning...

the past 2 days my calves have been solid and painful if i try and move them in a certain way... a certain way that you need to move it to walk, or stand up, or put any weight on it at all... on both legs...

I did some stretches and i went for a walk round town.... did about 5 miles in total... it was a much better pace than trying to jog, but i wasnt really out of breath except on the hills...

Hopefully i can build up enough muscle walking to be able to jog without this pain im feeling at the moment

I also tried starting to get into the habit of press ups and crunches last night... i managed 20 pressups and 20 reverse crunches (as suggested by knoxville)...

i was nackered after just those 20 reps...

This low level of excersize is quite embarressing, but obviously i have to start somewhere...

for atleast the past year i have been in the routine of
    get up > drive to work > sit at a desk for 8 hours walking only a few hundred yards to get lunch > driving home > and sitting on my ass for the next 7 hours at home on the computer/xbox/watching tv > sleep > repeat

Its no real wonder that my legs cant take jogging a few miles, or walking a few more miles... I'm amazed my legs even still support my weight at all!

Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

In regards to your walking, I have heard that it is better and more effective if you walk slower, as it is taking more steps to cover the same ground you would walking faster, how true this is, I don't know.

I still get shin splints if I walk for long and at a fast pace even after going the gym for a little while, but I notice it less now and on the treadmill, I can generally run through it, I have found that if I up the pace a little from my standard then the pain goes and I can carry on, when i get off I have shin splints but they dont last long.

Thing is, I cant really say how sore your legs are. No matter how hard I seem to work, no matter how much I do on the treadmil and how much I do on the various weight machines in the gym my legs just don't hurt the next day and its frustrating because I dont know if I am working hard enough to be making a difference, I mean I go gym and push about 65 - 75kg on some machines with my legs, I start low about 35 - 40kg, do 20 reps, then increase by a bit, then do 20 reps and then a bit more and 20 reps. Mainly trying to strengthen my calfs at the moment as aparently this helps relieving shin splints.

All I can say is keep at it and soon the amount of pain you are in will drop and you will be able to jog/ run when hurting. I also find that after a good session in the gym, I feel happier and less stressed.

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

If you don't like the gym then you're really not going to like this suggestion but it sounds like swimming would be very good for you.

It's good all round exercise, it works pretty much all your muscle groups and gives you a good cardio workout, and it's low impact so it won't hurt too much (unlike running). Obviously there's the image thing to overcome but you'll find that although there will be a fair few toned adonisses (adonii?), there are going to be more people in your situation, i.e. normal people just trying to get fit.

Try your local council gym rather than expensive private places, they're cheaper and less likely to attract the body facists
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

mmh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    If you don't like the gym then you're really not going to like this suggestion but it sounds like swimming would be very good for you.

It's good all round exercise, it works pretty much all your muscle groups and gives you a good cardio workout, and it's low impact so it won't hurt too much (unlike running). Obviously there's the image thing to overcome but you'll find that although there will be a fair few toned adonisses (adonii?), there are going to be more people in your situation, i.e. normal people just trying to get fit.

Try your local council gym rather than expensive private places, they're cheaper and less likely to attract the body facists
    I did try and get into swimming, as i do like it, its fun to do... i will try and get back into that too... just need to find someone to go with... someone to chat to and someone to have a bit of competition and motivational support is always a plus!

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

I did try and get into swimming, as i do like it, its fun to do... i will try and get back into that too... just need to find someone to go with... someone to chat to and someone to have a bit of competition and motivational support is always a plus!
    +1 to that. You need someone to shout motivational slogans at you as you work, and feed you powersauce bars.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

mmh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    +1 to that. You need someone to shout motivational slogans at you as you work, and feed you powersauce bars.
    im not sure about the powersauce, but the motivation of someone doing exercise with me and pushing me along helps!

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

the motivation of someone doing exercise with me and pushing me along helps!
    I found running on my own very difficult, but I'm not too bad with swimming. Although having someone who knows when you should be exercising and checks that you have been doing it would be useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information