I detected a quite weird behaviour with the Ethernet cards of my N4100+, as if the LAN2 was not used as a separate card from LAN1.

I have the following fixed IP configuration on the cards:
-LAN1: 172.18.2.200
-LAN2: 172.18.1.200
and the rest of the network is as follows:
-PCs @ 172.18.2.x
-one non-managed switch
-one router with an "embedded" switch @ 172.18.2.1 and which is my Internet gateway. The IP mask for the router is 255.255.128.0

The architecture of the network is:
-all PCs have a single Ethernet/IP connection to the non-managed switch
-the LAN1 of the N4100+ is connected to the non-managed switch
-the LAN2 of the N4100+ is connected in the embedded switch of the router/gateway
-the non-managed switch is connected to the embedded switch of the router

My N4100+ has the 2.0.04.3 firmware.

From any PC, if I ping the N4100+ at either of its IP addresses I get a proper reply. Now if I disconnect the Ethernet cable from the LAN2 port, I still get the replies from both addresses!

Not surprisingly, if I ping any of the N4100+ addresses with the cable disconnected from LAN1 port -the LAN2 cable being connected- I get no response.

Now, just a very informal test I reckon: if I upload from N4100+ a file of sensible size, I can see the LAN LEDs beat at same pace.

I thought the 2nd card could be used for connection on another network: the above makes me think that if LAN1 is not up, you can't access the NAS from LAN2.

Have I missed/misunderstood something?

Does anybody knows if LAN2 is actually used and for what purpose? Note that in the N4100+ you can't have the two LAN addresses on the same subnet.

Patrice