Thread: n3200Pro & Seagate 1.5TB drives

Thanks

n3200Pro & Seagate 1.5TB drives

I did a search and didn't turn up any useful posts.

I see people using the 1.5TB drives fine on the n5200, but what about the n3200?

Anyone out there running 1.5TB drives (Raid 5) on the n3200? If so, what firmware?

Thanks

Re: n3200Pro & Seagate 1.5TB drives

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdone View Post
    I did a search and didn't turn up any useful posts.

I see people using the 1.5TB drives fine on the n5200, but what about the n3200?

Anyone out there running 1.5TB drives (Raid 5) on the n3200? If so, what firmware?
    The N3200 is basically the same as the M3800 which I have running RAID 5.

I am running 3 1.5TB Seagate even though it is NOT recommended by Thecus. I have had the RAID reject 2 disks in 3 months needing the disk re-inserted and a full RAID rebuild (24 hours). If another drivefailed again in that 24 hours I would have lost everything

For various reason these drives output SMART info the Thecus does not like. The Thecus takes the safe option of rejecting the disk.

I posted some info yesterday that might explain some of these things. The Seagate drives are "domestic" not "enterprise" and they may have data recovery algorithms that can take several minutes, by which time the RAID rejects them. Enterprise drives only attempt data recovery for 7 seconds and give up which the RAID likes. By Western Digitals definition any disk connected to a RAID controller is being used in an "enterprise" way.

In addition these Seagate 1.5TB are pretty crap. I had one DOA and two of the three have several bad "reallocated sectors" (and increasing over the weeks) another things that upsets RAID sometimes.

The advice at the moment is don't use them, if you do it is at your own risk.

I am waiting for WD 2TB Enterprise drives to see how they fair. There is a tool to make a WD domestic into an enterprise drive so I may go that route

Thread Information