Thread: N5200 FTP Server Permissions Question...

Thanks

N5200 FTP Server Permissions Question...

Hi all,

I want to be able to give friends read only access to certain folders on my N5200 via FTP but I want to keep all folders open with full access on my home network.

Is there any easy way to do this?

I have a basic home network consisting of a few PC's running XP and Windows 7.

I'm running firmware version 2.00.09.1 on my N5200 which I have to keep because I'm using Samsung drives.

Is there anyway I can create users and just allow them access to certain folders and not others?

If not, I know I can set up users and groups and make my folders public and private but I'm not sure how the permissions and users work on a home network workgroup.

When I try to set that up, it just blocks me out when I try and access a folder from the home network and just says I don't have permission to access it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: N5200 FTP Server Permissions Question...

This can only be done via ACL's - You give some users read/write access, some users read access and some users are denied. Thsi must be done for every folder.
    In Your home network You have then also to enter user and password for access.
    br
    Peter

Thanks

Hi there, thanks for your help.

I have tried all this and I can see what needs to be done. However when my computer on the local network tries to access a shared folder it asks for a user name and password. When I input my credentials for the user I have already set up on the N5200 it says I don't have the permission to use this network resource, I have set myself up with full writeable permissions for that folder. Does the login user name and password for my computer need to be identical to my user name and password on my N5200.

The error also says: "multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

Thanks for your help!

Thanks

This is a windows error, so it semas that You have somewhere already connected to this share - check Your network shares if You don't have already connected to the share.

It helps if the workgroup is the same and it if Your credentials (username/password) are the same on the PC and the NAs, then You don't need to connect with another user - but the connection works also with different credentials.

br
    Peter

Thanks

Thanks for all your help guys, I've been able to get it sorted now and it works a treat! I had some mapped drives I needed to disconnect before I was able to use the new credentials.

Thanks again!

Thread Information