Thread: Changing BIOS of Asus P5K-E motherboard

Thanks

Changing BIOS of Asus P5K-E motherboard

I bought a dead dodo,and i am gutted.The Mobo wont post no matter what i do.I tried two different CPUs and same with memory sticks.I tried slow DDR2 667 and faster DDR2 800,but no joy.If i remove the CPU,and boot the mobo with memory stck and graphicscard,it remains on.With CPU it will reboot every 5 seconds non stop.Tried the jumper settings to reset the bios and still no post.The motherboard shows all sighns of life.The green LED is shining,the Graphics card and CPU fans are working.I checked all usb ports for current,and all are working.That means that allis ok with the Mobo and its a usual case of badly broken BIOS.
    Asus claim that the motherboard will load new BIOS ROM via USB flash drive and they lie.Unlike other manufacturers who dont solder the BIOS,Asus has soldered the P5K-E Bios to the Mobo,and its tiny and barely visible.Since all usual tricks didnt work i decided to identify the BIOS,and found out that its the little IC hidden behind the PCI express 16x slot.The part number of the IC called SST 25VF16B,and these numbers and lettersa re printed on the chip itself.Its a flash ROM.Removing the IC from MOBO will need soldering equipment and loading it with fresh BIOS data will need special equipment.The way round is that there are some businesses in UK who sell these BIOS chips pre loaded for differant motherboards.I found one and have ordered the new loaded BIOS chip.It will cost me some money,and when it arrives i will ask a friend to remove the old chip,and solder the new one.Any electronic or PC repair shop can rtemove the old chip and solder the new one,its not too difficult.
    Wish me luck,ihave spent a week in reserch and some money.I will post back after the new BIOS chip has been soldered to the mobo.Hope it will work.
    Last edited by safriz; 20-01-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

Re: Changing BIOS of Asus P5K-E motherboard

u didnt try the motherboard cd in the drive on statup then ?

Thanks

No i didnt try that.The motherboard wont stay on for more than 5 seconds with a CPU.I did try loading the BIOS ROM on a usb flash drive and then booting the mobo with usb drive inserted in usb 1.That didnt change anything.Although asus claims that their crash free bios thingy will let us load the bios rom from a usb drive.

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

Hello,
    Welcome to HEXUS, this is the wrong place to ask questions though...

Questions should be made in the correct part of the forum (where all the relevant people hang out )

But.. Technically... if the board is within warranty, then could you not make a claim as it has 'Operated outside given parameters', the parameters being the crash free BIOS not actually functioning*...

*Best to check with others on that as i'm not at all sure...
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by safriz View Post
    I bought a dead dodo,and i am gutted.The Mobo wont post no matter what i do.I tried two different CPUs and same with memory sticks.I tried slow DDR2 667 and faster DDR2 800,but no joy.If i remove the CPU,and boot the mobo with memory stck and graphicscard,it remains on.With CPU it will reboot every 5 seconds non stop.Tried the jumper settings to reset the bios and still no post.The motherboard shows all sighns of life.The green LED is shining,the Graphics card and CPU fans are working.I checked all usb ports for current,and all are working.That means that allis ok with the Mobo and its a usual case of badly broken BIOS.
    Asus claim that the motherboard will load new BIOS ROM via USB flash drive and they lie.Unlike other manufacturers who dont solder the BIOS,Asus has soldered the P5K-E Bios to the Mobo,and its tiny and barely visible.Since all usual tricks didnt work i decided to identify the BIOS,and found out that its the little IC hidden behind the PCI express 16x slot.The part number of the IC called SST 25VF16B,and these numbers and lettersa re printed on the chip itself.Its a flash ROM.Removing the IC from MOBO will need soldering equipment and loading it with fresh BIOS data will need special equipment.The way round is that there are some businesses in UK who sell these BIOS chips pre loaded for differant motherboards.I found one and have ordered the new loaded BIOS chip.It will cost me some money,and when it arrives i will ask a friend to remove the old chip,and solder the new one.Any electronic or PC repair shop can rtemove the old chip and solder the new one,its not too difficult.
    Wish me luck,ihave spent a week in reserch and some money.I will post back after the new BIOS chip has been soldered to the mobo.Hope it will work.
    Today i received the mobo after somebody physically removed the soldered bios and flashed it,loaded it anr re soldered it to the mobo.The board wont reboot after every 5 seconds as it used to do,and its stable now.I can only make it to post after i reset the bios via jumper settings every time i power up the mobo.Then it will let me into the bios settings.Still it fails to post after i save the settings and restart.I think now its the cheap ram sticks i am using.They are not in asus compatibility list.Any ideas about the DRAM voltage settings?

Thread Information