Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: News - SCAN launches innovative component installation insurance

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Re: News - SCAN launches innovative component installation insurance

Quote Originally Posted by how1 View Post
    I am not here to slate Scan, only to critisise the Scansure procudure of the stupid 'opt-In'. Who came up with that money making idea then? If you say it is not a money making idea then i would expect Scan to change it so that it is an 'Opt-out' option.
    I think you got it mixed up
    It's an "opt-out" option right now because it's always included you have to "opt-out" of it to not get charged which is what most people don't like. We all want it as an "opt-in" option so it's never included unless we want it to be ie we have to add it in the basket, and that way customers will read what this ScanSure is before "opting-in" which is a much better method.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    I think you got it mixed up
    It's an "opt-out" option right now because it's always included you have to "opt-out" of it to not get charged which is what most people don't like. We all want it as an "opt-in" option so it's never included unless we want it to be ie we have to add it in the basket, and that way customers will read what this ScanSure is before "opting-in" which is a much better method.
    Yea, sorry. I have corrected my statement!! All this writing!! Getting confusing with so much opting around the place!!

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by CP View Post
    Clearly Scansure is not for you so don't use it, I'm sure by now it's clear how to opt out.
    And that is one of the reasons why this thread has run so long. It should have been a nice press release and feature on HEXUS.channel, now it is a debate between your customers and Scan, because this is an opt-out service.

If it wasn't for that little difference, my only post in this thread would have been along the lines of "I don't think I'll make use of it, but nice idea Scan ". Now I have a bad taste in my mouth about the whole ordering experience and will be actively looking at other retailers for future orders (my previous automatic reaction was to hit the Buy button on Scan without even checking other stores).

4. Received thanks from:

MadduckUK (19-04-2009)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

It is a bit disappointing to see Scan CS engaging in a flame wars with some of their loyal customer base. It would be nice to see a response on the lines of "Thank you for your comments, we will review this as a matter of urgency" rather than try to defend something that is not really defensible.

Without wishing to discuss the merits or otherwise of the 'inovative service' - an optional service should be opt-in, not opt out. My only other concern would be if I received an item DoA or that failed shortly afterwards and an attempt was made to deny my rights as a consumer because I had failed to take out this insurance.

Funkstar, Saracen, Agent and many others have all made good points which merit serious consideration, rather than what appears to me, to be a rather huffy response made on the back foot. Scan could still turn this round and rescue something from this debacle, but the longer they go on making comments like the one quoted by Funkstar, the deeper the hole they are digging.

This won't stop me using Scan, but the responses to valid criticism does rather tarnish the image of what I have always considered to be one of the better Etailers.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

6. Received thanks from:

Chris P (20-04-2009)

Thanks

A good healthy debate, I wouldn't say flame war , it's certainly not supposed to be.

Your Statutory rights are not affected.

We are working on the clarifications of the exclusions as requested.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbadger View Post
    Its nice to have the option, however as others, I access the site from multiple systems, and cookies are usually cleaned. It would be best to opt-in rather than opt-out.

If in the unfortunate event you must claim to have a component replaced,
    What is the procedure ? The website says
    Do you really do the rest ? - no forms have to be printed off, sent in etc, do we have to take trips to the post office?
    It's very vague.

If paying for this extra cover what actually happens if say you damaged a gfx card.
    - Does scan send out a new one for the next day, and pick up the old ?
    - Must you send back the dead component first ? - have it go through the normal delays due to "high volumes" as scans rma team checks the hardware first?
    - What if the Gfx card just doesn't work when you first install it and you have this insurance (all though your pretty sure you didn't break it). Do you 1) quickly replace the card ? as normally should happen, 2) start rma procedures ? 3) Or do you use the insurance ?
    - Importantly! How long does the procedure take to get a replacement part from the 24hrs notification period ?

Also if you do make a claim, Will it effect any other insurance policy's you have ?
    For example, If you take home/buildings cover you are asked if you have made any insurance claims over the last 3 years.. - If so.. you may pay higher premiums, as you are classed as higher risk. The extra on these premiums could cost far more than the component at hand.
    Hi,

If you read the FAQ's in relation to ScanSure then most of your questions are already answered:

How long is my claim likely to take?
    All claims are processed on the day of receipt of the returned item(s). Valid claims will be authorized and dispatched accordingly.

If you make a claim under this policy which is accepted then there is NO EXCESS to pay and it has no effect on any other insurance policy's you have.

Registered+
    Thanks

Having spoken directly to our insurers I can clarify the following point from the list of exclusions:

4. Any action which invalidates the manufacturer's warranty.

Will be replaced with the following:

4. Any deliberate action which invalidates the manufacturer's warranty.

By deliberate action the insurers are saying for example by opening an external hard drive enclosure or removing warranty seals ETC.

I hope this clarifies most of the points and questions raised, in respect of the Opt-In / Opt-Out feedback this has been relayed to senior management and we will feedback from them when we have any update.

Wesley Aldred
    Returns Manager
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 20-04-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Wesley

Thanks for responding so promptly.
    And thanks for clarifying the details, appreciated.

On the whole good news, it looks like the service will be very handy for some.

It also looks like it maybe a good idea if your doing a build which is important to have up and running fast. The insurance as I understand it will help expedite the whole procedure if anything goes wrong. - Worth paying the little extra if time is important.

I'm still unclear of what happens if the item is DOA (just dead, not damaged by delivery as that's already covered), does the insurance cover it or do the standard procedures take control ?

Also maybe the part on your site which states
    Making a claim is simple, call our usual customer service number and we will do the rest
    Is a little misleading, I now understand the procedure does involve the end user to send back the damaged item at their cost ? Which will no doubt have to be a self arranged courier pick-up or a trip to the post office, and have the item sent by recorded delivery. - not so "simple" if you work office hours.

Maybe it should read along the lines of...(as I understand the procedure)

"Making a claim is simple, call our usual customer service number, we will issue you with a special RMA no, you must then send back the damaged item, upon it's return, we should dispatch a replacement the same day (stock dependant), (if the claim is valid)."

Well my wording sucks.. but I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say, the actual procedure needs to be explained in a clearer, detailed, step by step manner imo.

Blackbadger

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbadger View Post
    Hi Wesley

I'm still unclear of what happens if the item is DOA (just dead, not damaged by delivery as that's already covered), does the insurance cover it or do the standard procedures take control ?

Blackbadger
    If an item is DOA then the insurance is not used, the return would be handled in the normal manner and either replaced or refunded.

Wesley

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyaldred View Post
    If an item is DOA then the insurance is not used, the return would be handled in the normal manner and either replaced or refunded.

Wesley
    Does that mean the insurance for the item is 28 days when the *working* item is received?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    Does that mean the insurance for the item is 28 days when the *working* item is received?
    I knew this would be the next question so i already spoke to the insurers over that and they agree that where a genuine warranty replacement is issued within the first 28 day period a discretionary extension would be applied to the **warranty replacement**.
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 20-04-2009 at 01:16 PM.

14. Received thanks from:

moogle (20-04-2009)

NOT Banned
    Thanks

I knew this would be the next question so i already spoke to the insurers over that and they agree that were a genuine warranty replacement is issued within the first 28 day period a discretionary extension would be applied to the **warranty replacement**.
    Nice job thinking ahead

16. Received thanks from:

wesleyaldred (20-04-2009)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Azza View Post
    Just wondering...

If i break a graphics card when installing, send it back, get a new one sent to me does the new one have Scansure? Is it a whole new 28 days or is it from the time I purchased the original?
    • The Maximum Liability of the Insurer will be the replacement
      cost of the Computer Component for one successful claim only during the
      Period of Insurance.

So by making a successful claim and obtaining a replacement your replacement would NOT be covered under the insurance.

Registered+
    Thanks

I think i'm getting there now, anyone - Have i missed anything important that has not yet been answered ?

Wesley

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I think i'm getting there now, anyone - Have i missed anything important that has not yet been answered ?

Wesley
    I think you have covered most of the questions about the scope and cover provided (thank you) but not one of the major gripes, that it is an opt-out service not an opt-in. While I can see that for a first timer, it might be an incentive to buy from Scan (the name of the game - and nothing wrong with that) for the more experienced, it is probably not necessary, and having just gone through a dummy purchase, opting out isn't just a single click (like selecting an alternative delivery method) but the "are you sure you want to do this" type of approach.

Better (imho) would be deselected by default and highlight the option. If you really must, you could have a "you have chosen not to have Scansure - are you sure this is what you want to do?" type message. But better (from the user perspective) would be a default option to it enabled first time, but remember the last setting if the user declines - or it could be user settable in his account settings.

Lots of ways to do it - it was the default 'on' that irritated many of the people that posted here.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks

After speaking with Senior Management this option is going to remain Opt-out for the time being at least anyway, it is very clear and the opt out is step 1 of the order process and completed in 2 easy clicks, it is also displayed under a very big and very clear heading.

Can i just add that even experienced users have accidents, trust me, currently rejections take place for all scopes of customer ranges including the exceptionally experienced and for the cost of this policy even myself as an experienced builder for friends and family would ABSOLUTELY take out this policy and i'm not just saying that because i work for Scan, I am being genuinely honest, I will absolutely purchase Scansure with all my future orders.

Wesley
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 20-04-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information