Thread: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R CMOS error problems

Today is Tuesday
    Thanks

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R CMOS error problems

I built my Q6600 system about 10days ago and it had been running absolutely perfectly for that time, until last night. I put my PC to sleep as normal at night and it took a little while to do it (but only by an extra 10 seconds or so) and went to bed. Woke up in the morning and got nothing from the power button, rebooted manually and the PC started a perpetual reboot cycle. It would start up, power all fans and drives, then the CPU fan would start (all normal so far), then it would reboot. I get no speaker bleeps and I get nothing on screen it just goes round in circles until the power cable is pulled.

Tried resetting the CMOS (removing battery and shorting the reset pins) but had no change in result. Tried changing memory, graphics card and power supply but had no change in result. So took it out of the case and had no change.

Then I went on the net and googled my problem. It turns out the GA-P35C-DS3R has big problems that are only just starting to appear. The TweakTown forums has a Gigabyte support section and the number of people with the same problems are increasing fast. (http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=25051 is just one of the threads about it) It does not seem to matter what BIOS you are running (though I had upgraded to the latest when I set up my PC).

I have just ordered another one from scan to get it working again and hopefully I'll be fine. I desperately dont want to use that motherboard again but cannot be bothered with spending another day and a bit setting everything up.

just thought I'd post this in case anybody else has the same problem and to warn others off this motherboard while they (hopefully) fix this issue!
    Last edited by explicitlyrics; 06-09-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R CMOS error problems

so i take it you wouldnt recommend this board then. i was just looking at this board on scan and was about to ask peoples advice, so now im wondering how wide spread this problem is. Are there any other people on here with this board and what sort of experience have you had with them?

Thanks

I had problems with the GA-965P-DQ6 - totally different board I know, but Gigabyte admitted it was part of a 'bad batch of boards' so I don't know whether that includes several different models...

Registered+
    Thanks

bad batch cos theyre defective or because of design faults?

Thanks

defective - a very unusual problem where the machine would hang during the initial POST memory test, there's a long thread on here somewhere

Today is Tuesday
    Thanks

I have to say I did love the board up until I had problems with it. Had tons of features and did pretty well in the performance reviews I saw. I have ordered another one and even though I would rather not (purely due to the hassle of changing it again), I think it should get a second chance as it was a good board.

I think they may be in bad batches but I'm sure we would have heard more about it if all of the scan batch were bad.

Thanks
    • roorooroo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ga-z170-Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • Skylake i7 6700k
      • Memory:
      • 16gb corsair vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB (3xHD), 3xSSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 980ti
      • PSU:
      • tX 850w Corsair
      • Case:
      • cooler master haf92
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" Panasonic
      • Internet:
      • "up to" 152mb

I;ve just bought this board..i am hoping i dont run into the rebooting problem...argh.

Thanks

crap

my p35-ds3r v2.1 does this

it sleeps fine until you overclock it, now it just reboots when i try to bring it out of sleep

Thanks

Mine did this unless the memory was at 400MHz.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • dc72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
      • CPU:
      • E2140 oc to 2.66GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb 2 x matched pair Geil PC6400 DDR2 CAS 4
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 500Gb SATA2 + Maxtor 500Gb SATA2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor ATI Radeon 3850 256Mb
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 460W PSU
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • Belinea 1925S1W 19" Widescreen 5ms 850:1
      • Internet:
      • Sky Max 16MB (actual speed)

Damn. This isn't good news. Been happy with my board so far and was getting ready to start messing about with some more mild overclocking.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • dc72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
      • CPU:
      • E2140 oc to 2.66GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb 2 x matched pair Geil PC6400 DDR2 CAS 4
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 500Gb SATA2 + Maxtor 500Gb SATA2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor ATI Radeon 3850 256Mb
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 460W PSU
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • Belinea 1925S1W 19" Widescreen 5ms 850:1
      • Internet:
      • Sky Max 16MB (actual speed)

Quote Originally Posted by bledd View Post
    crap

my p35-ds3r v2.1 does this

it sleeps fine until you overclock it, now it just reboots when i try to bring it out of sleep
    Actually, I don't have the DS3R, just the DS3. Anyone heard any reports of similar problems with my board?

Seems it's the P35C (supports DDR2 and DDR3) boards that are having the majority of the problems, but when I read your post my heart sank a bit.

Now I'm scared to touch my board.

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post, but I wanted to quote bledd and forgot to in my initial post.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Bauer's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GAX48-DQ6 s775 X48
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q9450 QuadCore CPU + Noctua NH-U12P CPU Heatpipe HS
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 4GB DDR2 PC2-8500C5
      • Storage:
      • 1 150GB Raptor; 1TB WD SATA2 WD10EACS HDD; 500GB Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY 9800GTX 512Mb
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 850W
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Cosmos RC-1000
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 215tw
      • Internet:
      • Pipex 3Mbit/sec

I had the same problem as the OP on the first day of using my GA-x48-DQ6 Motherboard except the machine only booted roughly once for each press of the power button. This was initially after everything seeming fine and having installed all my components and a new OS.

I tried re-connecting the case's power lead and checked all the connections to no avail. As it was a weekend, I bought a new power supply from a shop in Tottenham Court road instead of meticulously searching the internet for the lowest price as I'd done with the rest of my components (I could have got the same PSU for £25-30 cheaper on the internet).

I tried the new PSU and had the same problem except the rebooting was continous like the OP. I tried connecting the power switch from a different case to the motherboard, no change. I then went through the hassle of removing all the components from the motherboard which had no effect.

It was only after doing a bit of internet searching that I read that there is a problem on some gigabyte motherboards whereby restarting or turning off the PC before the post screen can corrupt the BIOS. Apparently there some design fault with some gigabyte boards as they allow the BIOS chip or something to be written to prior to the POST screen being displayed.

Long story short, after removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes, everything worked fine.

If the problem started when the PC was turned off or reset shortly after switching it on, this may have caused the rebooting problem stated on this thread.

Obviously I'm not satified with this 'fault' especially after buying a new PSU but now that everything seems to be in working order, it would be too much hassle to return the motherboard.

HSK
    Thanks
    • HSK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro Socket 1150 DVI HDMI DisplayPort 8-channel Audio ATX Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Memory CML16GX3M2A1600C9 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache X 2 + Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Point Of View 8800GTS 512mb PCIE DVI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional AX860 Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum 860W PSU
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T Mesh Black Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 69cm (27")
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net

I have this board, been overclocking it - was fine so far, until maybe today when i left the house (my brother used the computer) - and when i got back the over clock was gone/reset back to stock :S i asked him if he had done anything, he said no.

so im abit confused about that one.

Thanks
    • ndrw833's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R (3 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, 2 DDR3 DIMM, Audio
      • CPU:
      • QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)
      • Memory:
      • Kingmax KLED48F-A8KI5 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
      • Storage:
      • Maxtor 6B200M0 ATA Device (200 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)
      • PSU:
      • Chieftec GPS-550AB A
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tt Spirit
      • Operating System:
      • Operációs rendszer Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64BIT
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2753 [27" LCD] (1909125712)

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    I had the same problem as the OP on the first day of using my GA-x48-DQ6 Motherboard except the machine only booted roughly once for each press of the power button. This was initially after everything seeming fine and having installed all my components and a new OS.

I tried re-connecting the case's power lead and checked all the connections to no avail. As it was a weekend, I bought a new power supply from a shop in Tottenham Court road instead of meticulously searching the internet for the lowest price as I'd done with the rest of my components (I could have got the same PSU for £25-30 cheaper on the internet).

I tried the new PSU and had the same problem except the rebooting was continous like the OP. I tried connecting the power switch from a different case to the motherboard, no change. I then went through the hassle of removing all the components from the motherboard which had no effect.

It was only after doing a bit of internet searching that I read that there is a problem on some gigabyte motherboards whereby restarting or turning off the PC before the post screen can corrupt the BIOS. Apparently there some design fault with some gigabyte boards as they allow the BIOS chip or something to be written to prior to the POST screen being displayed.

Long story short, after removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes, everything worked fine.

If the problem started when the PC was turned off or reset shortly after switching it on, this may have caused the rebooting problem stated on this thread.

Obviously I'm not satified with this 'fault' especially after buying a new PSU but now that everything seems to be in working order, it would be too much hassle to return the motherboard.
    (Long story short, after removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes, everything worked fine.)

This is Working!!!

Thx God

Thread Information