Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Samsung HD103UJ problem with SATA

Thanks

Samsung HD103UJ problem with SATA

Problem with new HD103UJ added as second drive on working SATA system.
    Computer is Mesh Matrix, with motherboard Asus A7N8X deluxe, SATA controller SIL3112A.
    SATA system detects new disk but does not display its capacity, then machine hangs.
    Suspect the problem is the HD103UJ's 'SATA 2' data transfer rate of (max) 3.0Gb/s, whereas SIL3112 runs at 'SATA 1' rate of 1.5 Gb/s. Samsung manual hints at possible speed problem and proposes using downloaded tool to change speed of hard drive.
    Downloaded Samsung ES-Tool version 2.1.1, and used it to check and low-level-format the drive. No faults found.
    Tried to use tool to change speed. Tool reports current setting is 'Mode 7 (UDMA0)'.
    Selecting 'Set Max UDMA Mode' gives the response 'UDMA MODE [ ]' with no data within the square brackets. Pressing Enter does not produce the expected options.
    Presume there's some incompatibility between the tool, the drive and my system.

Anyone had similar experience? Or can advise?

Thanks
    • dodgybob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • A8N-SLI Premium
      • CPU:
      • Opteron 170 @ 2.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2x 1GB OCZ Platinum Rev 2
      • Storage:
      • 1x 320GB WD & 1x 1TB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • X1950pro
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12-II
      • Case:
      • P182B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM 2443BW
      • Internet:
      • 8 Mbit

Re: Samsung HD103UJ problem with SATA

Have you checked if there is a jumper that you can short on the back of the drive to force it into sata 1 compatability mode? Quite a few drives have them. You might have to provide your own jumper to short the connections though.

Thanks

Thanks, DB, I wish it was so easy!
    The drive does have two jumper locations at the rear, but they're undocumented.
    Other Samsung SATA HDDs have four jumper positions, and these are described in their manuals.

Quote from the HD103UJ manual: "In some rare cases SATA 1.5GB/s hosts can not establish SATA interface connection with SATA 3.0Gb/s devices due to interface protocol issues. In this case you should switch your drive to SATA 1.5GB/s speed with a software which we are providing via www.samsunghdd.com"

The software on offer from the HD103 support page is ES-Tool, and that's the one that's giving the problem.

We battle on.

Thanks

Hello JohnG

I have a quite same motherboard than you (a7n8x-e deluxe) and i bought a Samsung HD103UJ. Actually i have the same probleme than you. I'll made some test and search and i'll say to you if i find something. Could you tell me if you find something too ?

Thank's

Bye

PS : Sorry for my English its not my used language .

Thanks

Hello JohnG

Here some information on this probleme.

(First part is in french, but you will find explanation in english in the lower part.)

I can't post url actually because ihaven't post more than 5 messages.
    You had add .htm at the end

http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Hardwar...t_814464_1.htm

Sorry for the modo, it's not add i promess. I haven't time to make 5 posts or it will be fake so I try to do like that.

I'll probably buy a controller card.

Tell me if it's work.

Bye
    Last edited by peterb; 25-05-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Converted to hyperlink for the contributor

Thanks

Using the ESTOOL from Samsung, scan for the HD103UJ and when the option menu appears select MAX ADDRESS and then RECOVER NATIVE SIZE. This should now show the disk as full 931GB, ready to be partitioned and formated under windows.
    Last edited by yesfan; 01-09-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Thanks

Solution to the Samsung HD103UJ SATA issue:

Here are the steps I have taken to resolve the issue of the Samsung HD103UJ SATA

problem.

Symptoms:
    1. Everytime I attempted to format the drive using windows Disk Management the format

would fail and operating system would freeze.
    2. In some instances the drive would be listed as formated and ready but would freeze

when files were transfered to the HDD.
    3. PC Start Up would temptoraily pause for 1-2 minutes.

My System details:
    PC - Compaq Presario Media Center SR1985AN Desktop PC
    Operating System - Windows Vista Home Premium
    Motherboard - ASUS A8M2N-LA (NodusM3)
    SATA Chipset - South Bridge: nVIDIA nForce 430 (MCP51) SATA I (1.5GB or 150)
    Hard Drive (2nd Disk without operating system) - Samsung HD103UJ SATA II 1TB
    BIOS - Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG

To get acurate details of your system hardware Google and use Everest Free Edition.

Firstly, I'll explain the fundemental reason for Samsung HD103UJ SATA problem. It is highly likely if you are experienceing this problem you have an nVidia nForce SATA chipset on your motherboard. There is a known issue with the nVidia nForce SATA chipset drivers being able to support a HDD with the NCQ feature enabled. NCQ (Native Command Queuing) provides a fractional boost in SATA HDD performance however the feature causes nVidia nForce SATA chipset to fail. This guide specificaly relates to the nVidia nForce SATA chipset

Before this feature is disabled you may want to take a few steps to ensure the HDD will work correctly.

1. Update your SATA chipset drivers:
    If you PC was purchased preassembled from a PC manufacture you have no choice but to use the driver updates provided by the manufacturer. For example my PC was manufactured by HP/Compaq and so I updated the SATA chipset drivers from the HP website.

If you purchased the motherboard directly from the hardware manufacturer the drivers should be availabe directly from their website under downloads/support page for your motherboard model.

2. Download the Samsung HD103UJ DOS ES-Tool:
    The tool can be found by Google-ing "Samsung HD103UJ" > Select top listing > Goto Downloads > Software > HD103UJ ES-Tool (Software) (ver.2.11) > Get File.
    Burn the ISO to a CDROM as a disk image, then restart the PC with the CD in the CD Drive. The PC should boot into the Samsung HD103UJ DOS ES-Tool utility.

3. Limit the HDD to SATA I instead of SATA II:
    The Samsung HD103UJ manual describes a jumper setting that will force the HDD into SATA I mode but the drive does not have the pins required. Samsung also provides a "patch" that is supposed to limit the HDD to SATA I but I found the patch did not work.

Once in the Samsung HD103UJ DOS ES-Tool utility:
    Press "Y" to accept terms of use.
    Select the Samsung HD103UJ HDD.
    Use the keyboard arrows to select "Set MAX UDMA Mode" and press enter.
    Select "SATA Mode [300]" and press enter until it reads "SATA Mode [150]".
    Select "Process" and press enter.

4. Next complete a "Low Level Format":
    This will ensure all previous attempts to unsuccessfully format the drive are corrected with a fresh HDD. It will also remove the master boot record (MBR) which is ok.

Select "Low Level Format" and press enter.
    Select "Process" and press enter.
    This will take quite a long time but well worth the wait to prevent future HDD problems.
    Once the "Low Level Format" is complete select "Exit to DOS", remove the CD and turn the PC off using the power button on the case. Then start the PC again.

5. Disable the NCQ (Native Command Queuing) feature:
    Locate the Device Manager
    XP - Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager
    Vista - Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager

Depending on wether your BIOS is in IDE or SATA mode for the SATA controller you will find a "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Control" entry in Device Manager under:
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    or
    Storage controllers

Select the "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Control" entry.
    Right click and select "Properties".
    Select one of the "Port" tabs.
    Remove the check mark from "Enable command queuing" box.
    Click "OK".
    Click "Restart Later".
    Repeat for every "Port" tab and every "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Control" entry available.
    Restart the PC.

6. Initialize, Partition and Format the HDD:
    Vista - Start > Right Click "My Computer" > Select "Manage" > Select "Disk Mangement" on the left side.
    Right click the grey box next to the long blue bar showing the size of the RAW HDD.
    Select "Initialise".
    Right click on the long blue bar showing the size of the RAW HDD and select "Format".
    Leave all available options set to default and begin the format.
    The format should take a few hours but should (Finally) reach 100%.

7. ENJOY!
    Once the format is complete the Samsung HD103UJ should be fully functional without any further issues.

Some of the above steps might be optional, as disableing NCQ (step 6) and a restart might be ebough to resolve the issue. The choice is yours.

JonDgls

Thanks

Hi John

I have exactly the same issue.

My PC hangs as soon as it detects the HD103UJ HDD.

Same motherbourd (AN7NX level 2) and trying to install the same HDD (Samsung HD103UJ).

I have tried the EStool that samsung are providing on there web site but to no avail as it dosn't get as far as the A drive.

This means that I cannot re configure the HDD to 1.5 Gb/S.

jondls has a very comprehensive solution, unfortunatly I cannot execute it as my machine stops before it boots from the floppy.

If I detatch the HDD I can get the ESTool working but obvoiusly the HDD is not attatched to be able to do anything with.

This is driving me nuts.

Have you had any joy yet?

If you have please share the secret.

cheers

Thanks

Hi,

Yes, I got a similar problem.

I've got an MSI 645 Ultra motherboard with PCI sata controller 3112A working with Sata 500GB WD disk.

When I add the HD103UJ the BIOS can see it and I get a message "hit F4 to enter raid". However the system hangs at this point. I can't load the ESTool with the new disk connected and if I try to connect the disk after booting it's not found.

Very frustrating.... Anyone managed to overcome this sort of problem??

Thanks

I have got my Samsung HD103UJ working on my ASUS AN7NX mother board.

I followed the link from Backlights post above.

This took me to another web site. There a chap named Dan recommended installing a PCI SATA controller.

I bought a PCI SATA controller for £9 from ebay. Arrived 2 days later.
    Installed said PCI SATA controller.
    Booted up my machine with the new HDD in situ.
    Machine worked normally and my computer recognised the new HDD.
    Formatted the HDD.
    Three and a half hours later my new Samsung HD103UJ was ready for use.

Deep Joy.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jasperc View Post
    I have got my Samsung HD103UJ working on my ASUS AN7NX mother board.

I followed the link from Backlights post above.

This took me to another web site. There a chap named Dan recommended installing a PCI SATA controller.

I bought a PCI SATA controller for £9 from ebay. Arrived 2 days later.
    Installed said PCI SATA controller.
    Booted up my machine with the new HDD in situ.
    Machine worked normally and my computer recognised the new HDD.
    Formatted the HDD.
    Three and a half hours later my new Samsung HD103UJ was ready for use.

Deep Joy.

Thanks to all who have contributed.
    Hi, can you tell me what PCI Sata controller you bought please as I am having the same problem. Thanks

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

If you have multiple SATA drives, it might be worth disconnecting all but the drive you want to reconfigure.

I've seen a number of ICH-based chipsets have huge issues initialising SATA drives when you have a mixture of new and old drives connected.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    If you have multiple SATA drives, it might be worth disconnecting all but the drive you want to reconfigure.

I've seen a number of ICH-based chipsets have huge issues initialising SATA drives when you have a mixture of new and old drives connected.
    I have found out what my problem was. I have 2 SATA controllers on my PC, one on the MOBO and one as a PCI card. Turns out both chipsets, VT8237 & VT6421, have issues with SATA2 drives as they can't automatically step them down to 150Gb/s. Typical that I should have both!

Just need to find a suitable replacement SATA PCI card now!

Thanks

I bought my SATA PCI Controller from Ebay.

I typed in 'PCI SATA Controller' in the search.

There are alot to chose from.

The title of the item I bought was '3 Port SATA + 1 IDE PCI Card ATA Controller Raid VIA PC'.

It was bought from sellingpiller.

£4.99for the pci card, £3.99 for postage.

This one works for me. I am not booting from this drive just using it as storage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

In a related issue, I could not get Vista Home Premium 64 to recognize the Samsung drive, even though the Mobo and Bios could. (I'm really starting to hate nVidia for their garbage Vista drivers.) The Vista disk management app simply would not find the drive. No way, no how.

My Mobo is an Asus A8N-VM with an nForce 410 chipset for IDE and SATA.

I ended up grabbing a spare IDE HDD, installing XP onto it, and then using XP to partition and format the SATA HDD.

Once the Samsung HD103UJ was formatted with NTFS, I removed the IDE HDD and rejumpered the DVD drive as Master. I put my Vista install disc in, and dropped a new copy of Vista onto the Samsung. After all the other things I tried, I was both relieved and surprised that Vista found the drive and installed to it without problems.

Hope this helps someone....

Thanks

I was using an older MSI Mobo with a Silicon 3112 PCI Sata 150 card. I couldn't use the Samsung software to drop the speed of the HD103UJ because it needed Sata 300 to do this. There are plenty PCI-e cards about which I couldn't use. I finally found Promise Sata-300TX4B PCI card at Ebuyer which worked well in my XP setup and is now working fine in my Freenas box. It added £50 odd to the cost but it has 4 ports and hassle free. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information