• MSI R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Nanoxia DS1

sigh... very... very... unhappy

Worlds longest letter incoming...
    The story so far...

I first ordered my components way back at the end of January, around 3 1/2 months later and I still have problems.
    The first problem I had was that after fitting all my components together my computer worked for 30 minutes and then died and wouldn't turn on. Turned out my motherboard died so obviously it gets replaced, no problem I think just bad luck. After I get the replacement my computer now decideds it wants to BSOD and games freeze for a few seconds and then carry on. After a week or two of testing I thought it was likely to be the motherboard causing the problem again it was sent back to Scan, they said they couldn't even get Windows to install using it. So I just asked for a refund on the motherboard. 2 dodgy motherboards same model, someone is trying to tell me something, don't cheap out on the lowest end Gigabyte 965P-S3. I then place my order of the Gigabyte 965P-DS3 the one that supposedly uses the better quality stuff. The order is sort of delayed, after trying to get someone to speed it up over the phone they tell me they can't and they obviously don't care that I have had about 4-6 weeks without a computer. I then come here to Hexus where someone sees a bit of sense and shows some customer service by getting things speeded up, my motherboard then goes out of stock but instead I am sent a DS3P, a more expensive motherboard than the one I chose. Thank you Scan

The problem is after this new motherboard my computer continues to have these freezes in games. After weeks of intensive testing trying different components and configurations, I think the problem maybe the graphics card. I get my 7800GT back to Scan for testing and in the middle of it all I bought an 8800GTS which also gave the same freeze problems. I want to get my 7800GT test canceled, but looking at the RMA it says it has been tested and a fault found, so I let the RMA run its course. I later that day get email saying it has been tested by a completely different person now and it isn't faulty... Great I'm going to get charged for the test now I think. I explain the situation on the phone and Scan agrees to send it back free of charge how nice I then phone back about a week later wondeirng when it is going to get sent to me and I am told there is no record of the conversation about it being sent back free so I then have to explain again and thankfuly the kind lady agrees to go ahead with what was already agreed about a week earlier.

Anyway by now I am thinking enough is enough, I'm fed up having my gaming computer struggle at doing what it was built to do and all the endless testing. I request to have every piece of hardware in the computer that was bought from Scan over the years sent back for testing. The conclusion? The graphics card the 7800GT is causing the problem. I told Scan it is not causing the problem, I had tried a 8800GTS in the computer and I still had the freezes. I said the 7800GT may well be faulty but it isn't the cause of the problem. After saying this I was told it would all be retested, about 5 days later I phone up to check up ( I didn't have a computer to check the internet). Seems as though no retest had been done and sort of like it hadn't been requested. Anyway I am told a request will be sent direct to the manager for it to be retested and that I will be phoned back to be told how the testing went. About 5 days later I phone up it hasn't been tested and it won't be retested as the manager has made note saying they are happy with the amount of testing already done on the components and is confident the graphics card is the cause of the problem, yeh thanks for that phone call back to tell me... Anyway I obviously still have no faith the graphics card is the problem at this point.

Anyway my graphics card is swapped with a new one and my computer is supposedly pre tested before it is shipped back to me and all is well. I then recive my RMA back in a horrible box tattered with a huge gash in one corner going right through the box. I will stick my neck out and say this gash was there before the parcel was even handed over to City Link because out of all 4 corners it was the only one with a bit of tape around it. Obviously a botch repair job on a box not fit to do the job of carrying alot expensive and heavy hardware. The box is crumpled heavily on one end, has various sort of fold lines, dents and punctures on it. I open up the box and thankfully eveyrthing looks to be in good condition still. Apart from my annoycence that my CPU box is rather loose inside to shake about everywhere everything seemed ok. Then to my horror I notice my CPU isn't even inside its little plastic protective shield, instead it is still sat where it is supposed to be on the edge of the CPU box but free to flap about in the space. It was sitting sort of out of place in the area, as I moved the box it was obvious the CPU was free to rock about in the space and batter itself... hardly impresive... if I sent my CPU back to you in such a way you would just send it back to me and likely tell me my warranty is void...

Anyway I note my complaint over the phone and I am told to just test things to see if it all works anyway. After I put it together it won't switch on, it seemed like the PSU was the problem as the led on my mouse wasn't even turning on to show power was flowing through the motherboard. After a lot of wiggling with the wire that goes into the PSU the computer finally turns on. I install C&C3 and within 20 seconds of playing bam! Hello Mr freeze, how nice to see you again! Thank you for not listening to me about it not being the graphics card causing the problem. Now I am going to have to go through yet another RMA and I have no box to send the stuff back in as the one I have from the delivery isn't fit for the job.

And so the story continues... It is a real shame as along the way I have encountered some real helpful and generous people at Scan but at the end of the day I would just like my working game computer, than talking to these people.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet
    Now you know why I'm keen to find out if Scan can possible accomdate my request of getting a 3XS system inside a case I have already purchased

Still, reading your letter it does seem that Scan in themselves have done all they sensibly can with the evidence in front of them, it's just an unfortunate set of circumstances

Thanks
    • grayg1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Patriot Viper 3 (x2 8GB, x2 4GB)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 240GB M500 | 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Nanoxia DS1
    Like I said I have encountered some real helpful people at Scan but about 3 1/2 months and I still can't play games normally

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet
    I sympathise, I got one step worse, I ordered a PC from a local shop, after being promised I'd have in within a week. Two weeks later, no PC, no real explanation either. Tried to cancel the order.

4 months later and I'm waiting for a court date to get my money back

Still, in the mean time, at least hardware costs have dropped and I'm gonna order this time from Scan like I should have done in the first place!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Jesus christ man I feel your pain. Have you tried the latest Nvidia beta drivers (160.03)? Are you sure the power supply is working correctly and up to the job? Having to wiggle a loose cable to get power doesnt sound too healthy

Thanks
    • grayg1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Nanoxia DS1
    The only piece of hardware I have not been able to swap is the CPU over course of all my testing and I did tell Scan this. Well I couldn't change the RAM sticks but I have 2 and it is unlikely they will both cause the same problem on their own.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Its very possible that your RAM is faulty, have you tried running memtest to identify any errors?

Thanks
    • grayg1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Nanoxia DS1
    hehe no offence but not really much point reccomending basic things to me as I have tested the basic and tested things which are stupid.

RAM passes 9 times in a row on memtest and I think it went about 3 hours fine with prime95 dual custom tests to use the RAM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    lol sounds like you've tried just about everything under the sun! I hope you manage to solve it once and for all dude. I'm building a new pc soon so fingers crossed it goes as planned

Thanks
    • grayg1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Nanoxia DS1
    I think I need more than luck, I am begining to think the problem will never be solved.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet
    Hmmm, if you had to wiggle the PSU lead to get it to turn on and if this is the same PSU you've had from the start of your problems, isn't it likely that your initial trouble has been caused by the PSU? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a frayed or slightly improperly connected lead in the PSU and that's fried the comppents you thought were damaged from the start.

Thanks
    • grayg1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Nanoxia DS1
    Well I had the PSU in my previous computer and the 7800GT came over from the old computer. I did an overhaul upgrade and then the freezing came.

So it was fairly obvious the problem is one of the new components (though I tested using a different PSU anyway).
    The motherboard is pretty much ruled out as I had the same freezing on 2 different ones.
    I can rule out the hard drive and the wires because I tried using different ones with the same result.
    I unistalled and disabled my DVD/CD and floppy drives and I tried uninstalling and disabling the sound via the BIOS.
    That leaves only the RAM and the CPU to blame. I have done tests to rule them out but, perhaps I really do need to do a 24 hour prime95 / memtest?

Thanks
    Got a UPS?
    You'd be amased at how "dirty" the power coming out of your wall sockets can be..
    Just a thought like...

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max
    Have you checked in the Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any entries, freezing like this I'd normally associate with a network excursion so maybe you could try disabling the onboard NIC, also what drivers are you using for the NIC, for me the ones that came on the CD or from Gigabytes website at the time didn't work, I had to get them from Marvell direct but I think Gigabyte have now fixed this with updated drivers on their website.

Thanks
    • grayg1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Nanoxia DS1
    I have a surge protector and I have already ran a computer with supposed more power draw on the same socket perfectly fine.

Scan for some reason did not uninstall Windows XP from my hard drive so instead of messing about for another hour installing my XP I just went straight on and installed C&C 3 and there's the freeze.

So this is basically the same state Scan tested the computer and said the freeze problem was fixed but in my possesion within 20 seconds it does the freeze.
    Last edited by grayg1; 16-05-2007 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max
    Had another thought, I've known HDs to cause a freeze too, I know you said that the HDs were working fine previously but it's worth checking to see what mode they are running in.

Thread Information