Thread: Dual core processor on AB9 Pro

Thanks

Dual core processor on AB9 Pro

A bit unsure where to start with this but I have acouple of problems which I think are related but may not be.

I have an AB9 pro with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz processor. When I first installed the processor the Uguru utility was telling the processor was running at 95 degree's from turn on. I new this wasn't true so I turned the warning beeps of and kept the thing running. Since then I have checked all the cooling fan seeting and made sure the heat transfer paste is nicely smeered which it is. Not sure where to go from there ? ( I am not overclocking by the way)

Secondly the machine whilst running OK when doing low level stuff (basic windows operation, word etc) as soon as I try to get any games running it shuts down and all I can see is the 9.9. post in the counter.

I have recently upgraded the power supply to because I knew power supply problems are an issue
    Hiper 670W EPS12V 100-240V Auto Switch 24+4+8+ (4x6) PSU

I am now questioning whether this is man enough for the job. My PCIE graphics card is a 8800GTS which I know sucks a bit of power as well.

I guess what I am really asking is do you think the processor is shutting down because of temperature or is it the power supply.

***** Lurker
    Thanks
    • d3fiant's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GB X58A-UDR3 FB11
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120GB OCZ Agility SSD + 500GB SP F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GB Windforce GTX670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W Akasa
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" 1920x1080 Iiyama LED
      • Internet:
      • 60MB VM
    what bios version r u running, could just be a glitched flash and might be worth giving it a reflash or update if its not current.

Found thie following on the Abit-USA site about the 9.9 code
    *When you see guru code 9.9. or 9.F. on the LED, it indicates a normal shutdown.
    *Under a normal condition, when you use soft turn off, you will also see 9.9. or 9.F. ; you do not need to take any action.

Thanks
    Try another temperature monitoring program like TAT (Intels Thermal Analysis Tool)

Thanks
    it sounds to me as if the hsf isn't properly seated (I know that you say that you've checked but still) & hence under load the CPU temp. is forcing a shutdown.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    I have emailed abit directly about this but I thought I might add to my previous post as it may be useful and you guy's may have experienced similar.

It's been a while since my first post because of the problems I have had. I took the fan off tried running the system and measuring the temperature it was running at 35deg on the face of the processor. Only let the system go to the bios so I could have a look at what that was saying it was reading 90 deg

Put the fan back on with loads of paste outside of the case so I could check it was seated properly. Let it start up fully used the windows uguru utility and got the same reading. Turned it off went and purchased 2 extra fans to put in the case, run it with that and got it to drop 2 deg. So now at 88 not great but I guess it showed that the sensor was detecting temperature just not the right temperature.

Next was to question the bios, run the update utility and had to run it bit by bit. Unfortunately it got to the update part and pushed the processor to down. Now the bios was corrupted.

Got a new bios from Abit yesterday hopefully for the cure and ................ just the bloody same. Infact it is now showing 108 deg in the bios for the 2 minutes I manage to get it to run for before shutting down.

It is doing my head in.

Thanks
    I see it all the time. Its normally caused by the heatsink not contacting the CPU correctly.

Thanks
    I will give it one more go then and take the MB out of the case but why does it have that affect even at start up ?

Thats whats throwing me is there some sort of connectivity between the processor and the heatsink other than heat transfer then

Thanks
    The only other thing I can suggest is that you send me the motherboard and processor. I can test the board and processor to find out which one is causing the problem.

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovemeister View Post
    I will give it one more go then and take the MB out of the case but why does it have that affect even at start up ?

Thats whats throwing me is there some sort of connectivity between the processor and the heatsink other than heat transfer then
    Interesting point, I have this board and I have investigated this issue for you.

First instance I would be using CORETEMP utility, this seems tobe better than ANY of the onboard temp sensors. are you using artic silver 5 (that seems to be the best)

How are you installing the fan, are you going from corner to corner?

TIP if you put loads of silver compound on you will be actaully making matters WORSE! The amount you should put on should be about the size of a grain of rice, no more!

Not putting on the fan correctly can cause a 20c increase in temps at least.
    If i got back to aircooling on this board with my AB9 pro I get about 35c on idle.

If you have taken the board out of the case and followed these steps above, it could be a bad BIOS, in which an update needs to be carried out.

gilgamesh
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

Thanks
    Thanks maybe I have used to much paste in my frustration.

I to get 35 degree's when I monitor the processor from the outside. Thats what I don't get why does the MB or processor sensor record it at being 60 deg hotter. Its not reality

I can't try any other utilities at the moment because I can only get part of the bios set before the system shuts down.

As you will see i have got a new bios chip from Abit I would hope this was the latest version

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    Thanks maybe I have used to much paste in my frustration.

I to get 35 degree's when I monitor the processor from the outside. Thats what I don't get why does the MB or processor sensor record it at being 60 deg hotter. Its not reality

I can't try any other utilities at the moment because I can only get part of the bios set before the system shuts down.

As you will see i have got a new bios chip from Abit I would hope this was the latest version
    Im confident that will sort you problem out, latest BIOS that is.
    AB9 pro is decent board, great overclocker, it is ONLY let donw by the maniac placement of ide ports etc

cheers

gilgamesh

Thanks
    uGuru & Coretemp both read from the ondie sensor which is always going to be hotter than a temp taken from outside the IHS (integrated heat spreader).

It's also just possible that you have a CPU where the die isn't making good thermal contact to the IHS - it's rare but it does happen.
    I think that I would take Sean up on his offer.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    thanks guy's a bit of back to basics in the end (although I had already done it) Remove processor, clean heat sink new thermal paste (smaller piece this time) made sure the heat sink was down outside the case and it did it.

I still can't believe I had as many problems as I did and the heat sink was fully down when I took the board off. I can only think there was some contamination in the thermal paste that stopped it going down

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    thanks guy's a bit of back to basics in the end (although I had already done it) Remove processor, clean heat sink new thermal paste (smaller piece this time) made sure the heat sink was down outside the case and it did it.

I still can't believe I had as many problems as I did and the heat sink was fully down when I took the board off. I can only think there was some contamination in the thermal paste that stopped it going down
    nice one figured it was the paste!

gilgamesh

Thread Information