Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AB9 Pro - Code 2A boot problem when using standby

Thanks

AB9 Pro - Code 2A boot problem when using standby

When I regularly let my computer go into standby (suspend to ram) it will sooner or later post with a code 2A error, which means black screen and fans at full speed. It appears that there is no pattern to this problem and that it happens at random, but the error can easily be recreated by putting the computer into standby 3 times and then make a full shutdown. On the next boot attempt it will stop right away with a code 2A.

I have read about code 2A errors on this forum and on ABIT USA's forum and the suggestions are video card problems, incompatible memory modules or insufficient power supply, but the fact is, that this problem I am describing, only appears with bios version 1.5 and 1.6. Version 1.3 and 1.4 had problems with onboard sound not working after a standby and with the JMicron controller, but if onboard sound was disabled you could use the standby function with no problems. So clearly the problem is BIOS related.

Since I do want to have onboard sound enabled and I would like to be able to put my computer into standby, I would really like to see a solution to this problem from ABIT, please.
    Last edited by DKViper; 06-03-2007 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks to Broadwater, I am now testing BIOS version 1.7B3 and it seems that it solves the problem, at least when going into standby 3 times and then shutting down/restarting. I'll have to test this version for a longer time to say whether this has totally cured my system.

Regards

***** Lurker
    Thanks
    • d3fiant's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GB X58A-UDR3 FB11
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120GB OCZ Agility SSD + 500GB SP F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GB Windforce GTX670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W Akasa
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" 1920x1080 Iiyama LED
      • Internet:
      • 60MB VM
    now u cant keep that baby to urself, share the wealth fella

Thanks
    I'm getting a bit sick of this damn board. Constant CMOS reset in order for the machine to boot after a shutdown or standby is totally unacceptable, I'm this [----] close to sending the board back, it's the first ABIT board Ive bought for a few years and to be honest its close to being my last, damn it looks nice but come on, this is getting to be a bit of a joke now. I've tried 1.5 and 1.6 but its still not booting from shutdown.

AB9 Pro
    Core 2 Duo E6600
    2x1 GB Corsair 6400C4
    X1950pro 256
    Enermax 470W

Thanks
    Instead of clearing cmos, try just pulling the power cord or if your PSU has got a switch turn it off for 10 or 20 seconds and then restart, that should do it.

Best regards

Thanks
    Now that I have had a little time for testing the Beta BIOS version 1.7B3 I can say that I haven't had the code 2A problem yet. Also EIST (speedstep) now seems to be working. Until now I was never able to run with EIST enabled without my computer crashing after a while.

On the negative side it seems that the onboard sound is back to its old problem, that it doesn't work after standby has been initiated and the ability to have separate channels on the front audio output has been lost.

Let's hope these issues will be solved with the final version 1.7.

Best regards

Thanks
    Can you Please give me this Beta BIOS or a link because my friend has a new system and we have to reset the bios after every shut down!
    Cheers for your help,
    Matt Dixson

Thanks
    Where i find betabios this motherboard?
    Maybe somebody give a link? I need that EIST to work fine.

WFD
    Thanks
    I'm also having the 2A after standbye issue... very very bad support from Abit, especially since the 1.6 bios has been out since end of last year. Do they not care or are not all users having this issue?...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WFD View Post
    I'm also having the 2A after standbye issue... very very bad support from Abit, especially since the 1.6 bios has been out since end of last year. Do they not care or are not all users having this issue?...
    The 2A problem I'm experiencing is only happening when I use the 'suspend to ram' function. So if you choose not to let your computer go to sleep, but instead, always do a complete shutdown, you won't ever see this happen.

From what I've read on this and other forums, it appears that different scenarios lead to a code 2A error during POST, though.

Best regards

Thanks
    Not all users have this issue. Its all down to the type of memory you are using. Its very hard to write a bios which fixes all problems. Thats why beta bioses are developed every week.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABIT Sean View Post
    Not all users have this issue. Its all down to the type of memory you are using. Its very hard to write a bios which fixes all problems. Thats why beta bioses are developed every week.
    I cannot help think, though, that the problem is somehow more related to the issues with onboard sound, than with the equipped memory modules. I can relax memory timings as much as possible, still the problem occurs. If I go back to BIOS version 1.4 and turn onboard sound off, I have absolutely no problem with resuming from standby.

Best regards

Thanks
    Can someone send me this new beta bios? I've got some stability problems with my configuration and I hope it will help.

WFD
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKViper View Post
    The 2A problem I'm experiencing is only happening when I use the 'suspend to ram' function. So if you choose not to let your computer go to sleep, but instead, always do a complete shutdown, you won't ever see this happen.

From what I've read on this and other forums, it appears that different scenarios lead to a code 2A error during POST, though.

Best regards
    Yes, 2A in my case also only happens when I use sleep, but I happen to use my system as a multimedia system (e.g. controling it using MCE remote) and shutting down and logging in each time is not an option (it is not even possible via IR keyboard/remote). Let alone that an shutdown will prevent the system from recording shows.

Why is the beta version of the bios so hard to come by and is the last "stable/official" bios already from 2006? Is ABIT still supporting the AB9 PRO? I wish I saw weekly bios beta updates... (well sort of)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WFD View Post
    Yes, 2A in my case also only happens when I use sleep, but I happen to use my system as a multimedia system (e.g. controling it using MCE remote) and shutting down and logging in each time is not an option (it is not even possible via IR keyboard/remote). Let alone that an shutdown will prevent the system from recording shows.

Why is the beta version of the bios so hard to come by and is the last "stable/official" bios already from 2006? Is ABIT still supporting the AB9 PRO? I wish I saw weekly bios beta updates... (well sort of)
    @WFD: exactly, standby/resume is an important requirement for many users, including myself.

Have a look at the "New AB9 Pro hangs with code 2A and won't boot into BIOS" thread at the "Intel chipset Socket T LGA 775 Motherboards" Abit USA Forum. You'll find a link to the beta BIOS there. Beware - Audio does not sem to work after resume, so it might be unsuitable for a Media PC

I'm wondering myself when the next BIOS update will come out for the AB9 Pro. When you contact Abit Support in Europe (using the Abit blackbox tool), they reply after about a week and DO provide technical support (like, f.i., beta BIOSes), which is keeping me as a customer up to now ... But it's high time for a BIOS and driver release that fixes the long-standing problems for all customers!

Thanks
    I do have the same problems. In meantime I'm using BIOS 1.7B5 (beta 5).
    It doesn't make any difference... my proc runs max @ 2160 MHZ.
    Sound is OK now.
    Where can I post this BETA for other users?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information