Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 18

Thread: Abit AB9 PRO freezes totally

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Thumbs down Abit AB9 PRO freezes totally

    Hi there.

    I have read about POSTCODE problems with ab9 pro series.
    Well i occured it today when i was installing my computer parts. Firstly the MOBO freezes in error code 2A, which i succesfully got fixed by clearing ccmos and booted.

    I also managed to install vista properly..... BUT

    when i flashed the bios to newest version 1.7 and computer booted, it got stuck with error code C0....C1 and in C1 it stays. It is somekind of memory problem i've read, but the memory worked properly before flashing the bios. And i suppose with the new version 1.7 there is alot of compat.improvements with memories?

    I have tried to clear ccmos, took of the battery, tried every single dimm in every single slot, took of gfxcard. None works.

    C1 it just says.

    i have c2d e6600
    3 x 1024mb DDR2 800 kingston valueram
    club 3d 8800 GTS 320MB


    what a heck ?

  2. #2
    ***** Lurker
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    722
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    15 times in 15 posts
    • d3fiant's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GB X58A-UDR3 FB11
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120GB OCZ Agility SSD + 500GB SP F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GB Windforce GTX670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W Akasa
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" 1920x1080 Iiyama LED
      • Internet:
      • 60MB VM
    could try a reflash of the bios, has worked for me in the past where the suggested fixes havent worked on the first flash

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    I'm getting a problem similar to this.

    Completely new build, start it up, go into BIOS, make a couple of basic changes, Save and Exit, and then it refuses to show a screen. "2A" error showing on motherboard.

    Reset the CMOS, start again, make one simple change to BIOS, save and exit. Same problem as before.

    Reset the CMOS, don't make ANY changes to BIOS, save and exit, still it refuses to reboot.

    After a lot of trial and error, it has now decided I'm not allowed to start the computer at all, and gives me the "C1" error. I can't get to BIOS or anything.

    What am I doing wrong????

    And also, I don't have a floppy drive in this computer, if I were wanting to update the BIOS, how would I do this, and at what stage of the computer's build?

  4. #4
    Resident abit mourner BUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sunny Glasgow
    Posts
    8,067
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    181 times in 171 posts
    Chappers, it helps others to help you if they know exactly what components, BIOS rev. etc. that you are running.

    Try starting the system using only 1 DIMM.

    As for flashing the BIOS you can do that from an USB memory stick or a CD as well (USB memory stick is the easier though) & you can do it before installing an OS.

    MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

    My HEXUS.trust abit forums

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    OK thanks. Sorry, I'm new here.

    I don't know what BIOS revision I'm running. I can no longer get as far as the BIOS to check.

    I've tried it with one stick, but it produces the same results.

    I am now getting it as far as a "C5" board message though.


    I am running a Corsair HX620 power supply, 4 Gigs of OCZ Reaper RAM (it's faster than 800, but was told it would happily run at 800 and give me headroom in the event that I would ever want to overclock in the future - which I may not do). Core2Duo 6600. Ati Radeon HD2900XT, dual WD 5000 RE2 drives intending to go in RAID0, dual Optiarc DVDRWs, Creative X-Fi soundcard, Airpace PCIex Wi-Fi.


    I have put the latest BIOS both on my Flash drive and on a bootable CD, but obviously I can't do anything about that at the moment until the motherboard lets me get something up on screen at least.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Well as of this morning I'm back to the "C1" message.

    Ive tried taking various sticks of RAM out, even having no RAM in it at all, and still it sticks on "C1".

    Curiously - and this may have been a one off, when i had 3 sticks in, it got as far as displaying "49" on the board (but still nothing on screen), which according to the manual relates to AMD K5 processors... which I'm not using???

    Really kinda stuck at the moment.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Well I seem to have fixed it myself.

    Putting an old stick of 6400 RAM in allowed it to boot.

    Made a Win98 bootable USB key and upgraded the BIOS from 16 to 17.

    Entered the Reaper RAM timings (5-5-5-18) manually into the BIOS.

    Curiously, it has rebooted showing DDR2 Voltages at 1.8V, whereas I'd swear I set them at 2.3V which is what the RAM is rated at, but the system boots and "appears" to run stably, so I'm going to leave well-enough alone for the time being.

    Set up my RAID0 array over 2x500Gb Western RE2 drives, installed Vista64, everything's hunky dory. Getting a Vista rating of 5.2 as my CPU is only a C2D E6600, but the rest of it shows as 5.9, so i'm pretty chuffed with myself.

    Turns out, one of my sticks of Reaper RAM is problematic, cos whenever that one stick is in the motherboard, I get a "C1" stop on the motherboard. All the other sticks work fine. So I'm in touch with the e-tailer to see if they'll exchange it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire Uk
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    8 times in 8 posts
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappers View Post
    Well I seem to have fixed it myself.

    Putting an old stick of 6400 RAM in allowed it to boot.

    Made a Win98 bootable USB key and upgraded the BIOS from 16 to 17.

    Entered the Reaper RAM timings (5-5-5-18) manually into the BIOS.

    Curiously, it has rebooted showing DDR2 Voltages at 1.8V, whereas I'd swear I set them at 2.3V which is what the RAM is rated at, but the system boots and "appears" to run stably, so I'm going to leave well-enough alone for the time being.

    Set up my RAID0 array over 2x500Gb Western RE2 drives, installed Vista64, everything's hunky dory. Getting a Vista rating of 5.2 as my CPU is only a C2D E6600, but the rest of it shows as 5.9, so i'm pretty chuffed with myself.

    Turns out, one of my sticks of Reaper RAM is problematic, cos whenever that one stick is in the motherboard, I get a "C1" stop on the motherboard. All the other sticks work fine. So I'm in touch with the e-tailer to see if they'll exchange it.
    NO dont change your ram mate.

    It sounds like you have been victim to the good old JDEC standard The reason why the PC would not bood is that you are running at 1.8 volts as standard for the reaper ram, this ram needs 2.2VOLTS to run. THe reason WHY it worked whern you insertyed your older ram is that can run at 1.8

    basically insert your old ram, boot into BIOS, change to 2.2volts maybe even 2.3volts (but NO higher)
    save/exit
    power off
    PUt ONE stick of RAM into the system (reaper) then boot

    If this does not indeed work, then possibly you may have a faulty reaper ram.

    gilgamesh
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
    NO dont change your ram mate.

    It sounds like you have been victim to the good old JDEC standard The reason why the PC would not bood is that you are running at 1.8 volts as standard for the reaper ram, this ram needs 2.2VOLTS to run. THe reason WHY it worked whern you insertyed your older ram is that can run at 1.8

    basically insert your old ram, boot into BIOS, change to 2.2volts maybe even 2.3volts (but NO higher)
    save/exit
    power off
    PUt ONE stick of RAM into the system (reaper) then boot

    If this does not indeed work, then possibly you may have a faulty reaper ram.

    gilgamesh


    Umm, but it's working already? I think the problem I was having was more to do with one particular stick of Reaper, which doesn't seem to work. The other sticks are fine.

    I might increase the voltage a bit, to see if it still runs, but it seems to be quite happy at 1.8V so far.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire Uk
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    8 times in 8 posts
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappers View Post
    Umm, but it's working already? I think the problem I was having was more to do with one particular stick of Reaper, which doesn't seem to work. The other sticks are fine.

    I might increase the voltage a bit, to see if it still runs, but it seems to be quite happy at 1.8V so far.
    Reaper ram is designed top run @ 2.2 volts to get the full advantage of it inc timings

    gilgamesh
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    oh ok, ta.

    I'll save the BIOS profile and move the voltage up bit at a time. Once at 2.2, I'll try adding in the stick which i suspect is dodgy. Maybe it's just a bit more voltage-particular than the others.


    Incidentally, I'm limiting the RAM's speed to DDR2800, just for stability's sake, which might explain why it's currently quite happy at 1.8V.

    Will upping the voltage to 2.2V whilst staying forced at DDR2800 be ok? I presume so.

    I'm still a bit green on all this fine-adjustment malarky.
    Last edited by Chappers; 01-06-2007 at 12:08 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire Uk
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    8 times in 8 posts
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappers View Post
    oh ok, ta.

    I'll save the BIOS profile and move the voltage up bit at a time. Once at 2.2, I'll try adding in the stick which i suspect is dodgy. Maybe it's just a bit more voltage-particular than the others.


    Incidentally, I'm limiting the RAM's speed to DDR2800, just for stability's sake, which might explain why it's currently quite happy at 1.8V.

    Will upping the voltage to 2.2V whilst staying forced at DDR2800 be ok? I presume so.

    I'm still a bit green on all this fine-adjustment malarky.
    Mate its not jsut the data speed we are talking about here, we are also looking as the CAS timings buddy. The timings of the ram is what should be set manually Advanced Memory features. For example the board might autodetect your ram with loose timings by the JDEC standard of 1.8 volt and 5-5-5-18, when in actuality your ram should be set at 2.2 volts and 4-4-4-12

    tHIS WHATi MA TALKING ABOUT. tHE ram MAY BOOT at 1.8 but try to run the timings that the ram is certified for, and you will get boot up problems. Try upp ing to 2.2 volts and change the timings of the ram to its certified speed. I think on reaper ram I think its 3-4-4-12 or 15 if I remember rightly.

    gilgamesh
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Well I've increased the Voltage to 2.2V, and it seems happy enough.

    This Reaper RAM is supposed to run at 5-5-5-18. It says so on the stickers.

    I'm not big on overclocking, so i'll leave it like that I think.

    I tried putting in that loathesome 4th stick, and it still wouldn't have it, so I'm 99.9999% certain that solitary stick is to blame for my woes.

    Thanks for your advice though.

  14. #14
    Resident abit mourner BUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sunny Glasgow
    Posts
    8,067
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    181 times in 171 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappers View Post

    I tried putting in that loathesome 4th stick, and it still wouldn't have it, so I'm 99.9999% certain that solitary stick is to blame for my woes.
    you can run memtest on it & see if it errors.

    MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

    My HEXUS.trust abit forums

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
    you can run memtest on it & see if it errors.
    How can I run memtest on it if I can't get the system to start up when it's in?

  16. #16
    Resident abit mourner BUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sunny Glasgow
    Posts
    8,067
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    181 times in 171 posts
    so the system won't POST with only that DIMM installed but will with any of the other 3 installed singly?

    MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

    My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. AB9 Pro e4300 overclocking woes
    By bonus uk in forum abit.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 30-05-2007, 11:15 AM
  2. RAM Overclock - Abit AB9 Pro + GeIL PC6400. What overclock do you have?
    By mishima in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-05-2007, 11:04 AM
  3. Issues with abit ab9 pro: Can't boot in dual channel
    By ss284 in forum abit.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-05-2007, 03:36 AM
  4. Abit AB9 PRO code 25 error
    By kelco in forum abit.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 17-04-2007, 12:04 AM
  5. AB9 Pro and Memory
    By DIGIDOG in forum abit.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •