• Operating System:
      • XP SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • DL: 24Meg UL: 1Meg

Unhappy Abit IN9 32-MAX MB Dead!!!

Hey All,

I joined here because I have a Faulty Abit Motherboard and I have just found out that there in no RMA Service in the UK anymore and everything has gone to the EU Office in Netherlands... I've emailed them to help me with my Faulty MB but I thought maybe someone on here may have had the same issue and can therefore help me while I wait for a response from Abit...

My MB is an [IN9 32X-Max] which I bought just over a year ago. It was working fine up until a few months back... Initial symptoms were when I powered on my computer (each day) it would quickly power off with a POST CODE of [8.3]. However, after this initial unexpected power down, when powering on the system again it would successfully boot.

A couple of weeks later when attempting to power on my system it would again straight away power off with the POST CODE [8.3]. However, this time around it took 2/3 attempts to power on the system successfully (after the initial unexpected power down). These symptoms started becoming more and more severe and after monitoring it I noticed that prior to each time my system powered down the fan on my Graphic Card would spin and make a loudish noise.

After a few more weeks passed and each day my system would need 2/3 attempts to power on I decided to look at the Abit Support Forum and also other online resources to see what I could do. The first thing I looked into was the POST CODE [8.3] which stated that there was an issue with my PSU. I wasn’t too sure about this because if my PSU was faulty then how could it power on my PC the times it worked? I therefore moved on from here and read a topic about boot failures for my MB. It stated that the CMOS Battery could be depleted and thus would not hold the correct BIOS Settings for my machine to boot correctly. I also noticed that my Motherboard was running on BIOS version 10 and the most recent version was 15.

I decided to update the Bios and after I did this the computer powered on and I was able to jump straight into the BIOS Settings. I set the BIOS up correctly and restarted the computer and it booted first time... Just to be on the safe side I decided to format my HDD and reinstall Windows... This all worked fine on the day I carried out the BIOS update and the reinstall of Windows. However, that night I powered off the PC and the next morning when I came to turn it on it went bad again!

This time the symptom the system was encountering was slightly different... When I powered on my system it would power on and ‘stay’ powered on. When looking at the POST CODE it was now saying [A0]. There was also no signal being sent to my monitor... Previously the symptom was that when powering on the system it would power down with the POST CODE of [8.3]. However, this time round the system stayed powered on but the POST CODE was [A0].

After many attempts to boot up my computer, nothing would work. I tried resetting the CMOS and constantly attempting to power on my system, but nothing was successful. During this time I also noticed that the Motherboard would randomly report the POST CODES [A0], [8.3] and also [25]...

Also, I’ve tested all my PC Parts on a different MB and everything works fine i.e. CPU, GPU Card, Sound Card, PSU & Memory... However, please note that my Abit MB took 2xCPU power connections and (i.e. ATX12V1) but the Motherboard I tested the PSU on only took one of them.

Can anybody help me with this please
    I really want my lovely MB back up and running as it looks so good and so easy to use – never had any problems with it until these passed few months

Please Help, Cheers

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Abit IN9 32-MAX MB Dead!!!

I know next-to-nothing. But if I recall - I can't check because my system with same board has just been RMA'd - probably for something else) but doesn't the manual say something about it being unstable if the full (24-pin (?) power connector isn't used? Or is that nothing to do with it?? Just that it could be your PSU isn't 'firing on all cylinders' but was enough for the other board you tested.

It seems to make sense to completely exclude the PSU (how/where can he get it tested anyone?) before trying to RMA the board, under the Abit circumstances.

Apologies if this is just more noise....

Thanks
    • 32-Maxed Out's system
      • Motherboard:
      • IN9 32X-MAX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 1GB OCZ CL3 FlexXLC 6400 / 800MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SAMSUNG HD501LJ
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800 GTS OC 320MB DDR3
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 850W GameXStream
      • Case:
      • Antec Performance ONE
      • Operating System:
      • XP SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • DL: 24Meg UL: 1Meg

Hey Clanger, thank you for posting... The ATX 24 Pin Power Connector is to power the Motherboard and my PSU has one of these For the past year its been successfully powering my whole system without any problems, up until now.

Just to clarify, in the first post I mention that I have tested my PSU on a completely different system (i.e. different Motherboard etc) but the only thing I could not test from the PSU is the ATX 12V 8-Pin Power Connector (i.e. the one that powers the CPU). Main reason being because the Motherboard I tested the PSU on only had a 4-Pin Power Connector for the CPU... But please note that the CPU has been tested iteself and is working fine.

Anyway, I'm glad someone other than me has this motherboard as there are not many Threads on this forum about it. Maybe not many people liked the Motherboard to begin with huh

Also, Clanger, how long did it take for you to get a response for the RMA and did you direct this via Netherlands? Since you say you've RMA'd it, how much did it cost you to send out, hahaha

Registered+
    Thanks

Sorry for delay, just seen your message.

No, my system's been RMA'd to Scan - it's probably just the graphics card, but they're checking the whole thing. If it is the board I'll let you know.

Doesn't bode well though does it with no Abit back up here. And I had a different board that was changed for the Abit too.

Sorry for (all) the confusion.

Thread Information