Thread: Lost Audio on Abit IX38 QuadGT after adding a new hard disk

Thanks

Exclamation Lost Audio on Abit IX38 QuadGT after adding a new hard disk

After I added a new hard drive a couple days ago, I lost audio (both from the FP and the rear connections). When I plug in the speakers or the headsets, they are detected by Windows (Am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit), but I don't get any sound. The same setup was working fine before adding the hard drive.

I am not sure how to diagnose the issue (if I broke something on the motherboard when adding the hard drive .. I checked the cables from the FP-Audio headers and looked for signs of any damage .. I didn't see any). Any help in troubleshooting and diagnosing the issue - much appreciated.

Thanks,
    NK

Thanks

Re: Lost Audio on Abit IX38 QuadGT after adding a new hard disk

Your speaker's sterio jack cable should be in the green socket of the 6 on the rear mobo socket plate.
    You should have checked with multiple apps. You should check for mute options. And check the universal volume control options (find the volume control in the system tray icons and double click it).

You should have a 'high definition audio' device entry (plus a couple of others) in the 'sound' option within control pannel.
    Likewise there should be a 'high definition audio' option (or two) in device manager.

If there isnt, perhaps it got switched off in the bios, though I dont see how adding a hard drive could do this, as it defaults to being on. Hit the delete key when the post screen dispays (before Windows starts to load after you turn the machine on) to get into the bios. The option is round the on chip devices bit where you can dissable the network socket and the JMB chip (IDE socket) iirc.

Thanks

Re: Lost Audio on Abit IX38 QuadGT after adding a new hard disk

Thanks much for your help. The BIOS settings were somehow incorrect. I reset that as you suggested and it worked.

Appreciate your help.

Thread Information