• Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 36" LED TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60mb cable

MacBook

Hi all,
    I'm contemplating getting myself a MacBook, and I need some advice. I have a few questions.
    1. My impression is that with windows laptops, they go wrong a lot, and that this isn't the case with Apple laptops. Correct?
    2. I'm a medical student, who is also into photography. I need to use word processing software, data analysis, browsing, and photoshop. Is the entry level MacBook suited (2ghz, 1gig RAM, 80gig HDD, 13in screen)?
    3. Refurb models on the website are nearly 20% off, and have the same warranty (apparently), anyone have any experience of apple refurb kit?
    4. I am a PC user and builder/modder, and have never used a Mac OS for a significant period - will I get it quick?
    5. I have the impression that, for the money, you could get a higher spec laptop (excl. OS package) am I right?
    6. If so, what makes the MacBook worth it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and please let me know any of your thoughts on the matter,
    Million

Splash

Re: MacBook

Quote Originally Posted by Million View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm contemplating getting myself a MacBook, and I need some advice. I have a few questions.
    1. My impression is that with windows laptops, they go wrong a lot, and that this isn't the case with Apple laptops. Correct?
    Define "they go wrong a lot". Mac OS is designed to run on very specific hardware, and as such is generally accepted to be pretty stable, but if you're the type to tinker I'd say it's every bit as susceptible to user error as any other OS.

2. I'm a medical student, who is also into photography. I need to use word processing software, data analysis, browsing, and photoshop. Is the entry level MacBook suited (2ghz, 1gig RAM, 80gig HDD, 13in screen)?
    Photoshop will benefit from more RAM. Always. Also put some thought into that screen size - is it going to be large/high resolution enough to work comfortably on? This is something that only you can answer really. Personally if you were looking to get a Mac for photo work I'd be looking at a desktop variant.

3. Refurb models on the website are nearly 20% off, and have the same warranty (apparently), anyone have any experience of apple refurb kit?

Generally their service is pretty decent, but bear in mind that non-vendor support is a lot more thin on the ground (though I believe even PC World do some form of Mac support these days).

4. I am a PC user and builder/modder, and have never used a Mac OS for a significant period - will I get it quick?
    Dunno, a different OS is something that some people can pick up easily and others struggle with. It's generally fairly user friendly, but if you're set in the Windows mindset (as a lot of people are) you may struggle. Why not try some flavour of Linux on your current PC - if you find it easy enough to get used to then chances are you'll not struggle too much with the differences in Mac OSX. Please bear in mind that I'm NOT saying that OSX is like Linux, merely that Linux is a free way to see how easy you might find the change.

5. I have the impression that, for the money, you could get a higher spec laptop (excl. OS package) am I right?
    Generally this is the case, yes. Have a look at the low end Dell kit, then compare prices with a low end MacBook.

Not sure. Personally I can't see the point in spending the extra on what could be potentially a less high performance machine from a portable point of view, but then I don't really see the appeal of the iPod either, and they sell by the boatload.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and please let me know any of your thoughts on the matter,
    Million
    No problem. Again, this is just my opinion, and the biggest thing to think about from where I'm standing is going to be the size of the screen rather than the OS or anything else, but your mileage may vary.

3. Received thanks from:

Million (20-01-2008)

Thanks

You won't have to worry about new drivers etc, whereas a Dell laptop has the option for XP other brands may not, XP is better for laptops as Vista can slow down occasionaly.

With a Macbook you wont have to worry about defragmenting, viruses, spyware, updates asking you to restart, these are annoying when you are using your laptop when not at home.

Splash

Hmmm... the common myth about Mac's being immune to viruses (virii?). They're a lot less targetted by malware writers, but this is expected to change as the Mac gains market share (which it's certainly doing). And don't forget about the infamous firmware upgrade that they charged for.

I think in terms of the Mac if you're looking at the OS as a silver bullet to answer all your problems with an OS you're possibly slightly misguided, but it's certainly not a bad one.

Thanks
    • artaxerxes's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • Intel
      • Memory:
      • Kingston
      • Storage:
      • Intel / Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia
      • PSU:
      • Enermax
      • Case:
      • Lian Li
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple

15% of laptops fail in year one... pretty much regardless of the manufacturer. Apple's Laptops are no exception. [ failure rates]

As a student you should be able to get a new Macbook with 17% off - just by buying from this link Apple Edu Store
    You have to be on your university's network to use that page however.

Refurbished is cheaper but you cannot choose your load out.
    Last edited by artaxerxes; 23-01-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: edited so links actually show the f*** up
    artaxerxes
    INTEL THERMALRIGHT PANAFLO GIGABYTE KINGSTON OCZ NVIDIA CREATIVE MAXTOR LITE-ON ENERMAX LIAN LI APPLE RAZER SPEEDLINK JBL LACIE

Thanks

million - you seem like a savvy guy, do you have any reason to own a macbook (e.g. uni/work/other reason)?

If not, you would do a lot better with your money in a Windows based laptop

my opinion -
    apple is great if you like everything to work from the box and dont mind buying premiums
    apple is not good for modders, people who want to be more "creative" with computers

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro

I wouldn't say that, price premiums? At the time when I bought my macbook nobody had anything as good at the same or close to the price point.

Apple's can be modded just as much as anything else really, it depends on how much you want to get into it.

I'm so happy with my MacBook, the next time I'm looking at refreshing my PC hardware, I'm probably going to buy a Mac Pro
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

sorry what i said was misleading

i think what i mean is a pc is more configurable than an apple - both can be modded in any way you like...

as for the price premium - last time i checked i could get something cheaper in a windows laptop than a macbook...but obviously, this is only based on hardware configs only

i would love to get apple macbook (especially air) becoz they look so cool but unfortunately it is a bit limiting and expensive for me but each to their own!

edit - i really think this macbook air will be like the cube...
    Last edited by usxhe190; 23-01-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Mac's Just Work BroadbandPlacey's Avatar
    Thanks

You just can't compare the two - yes you could buy a dell laptop but will it have a built in i-sight? will it come with an IR remote and sensor? what about 4-5 hours battery life? Will that acer laptop that you buy get people going "ooooooo what's that laptop?"

I built my own computers for years, enjoyed tinkering, but just the constant problems with windows OS - it never just worked consistently. Always went wrong at the wrong time.

I've been using mac now for 3 1/2 years and I won't go back - most people don't that's why their market share is growing.

Splash

I stand by my initial response. I'd hate to be Photoshopping or doing anything involving data analysis on a 13" screen, regardless of the OS, or how pretty the casing is. I'd be looking at my reasons for wanting a new machine, and if a laptop is really the best tool for the job.

As for BroadbandPlacey's comments - I'm pretty certain you can pick up Windows based laptops with IR sensors. Is the i-sight the built in webcam? If so then yes, you can get Windows based laptops with them (though they won't be called i-sight of course). All of this brings it down to the aesthetics and while I won't deny that the MacBook Air is looking very attractive it just costs too much to appeal to me.

Thanks

as i said in another thread,

comparing macbook air vs a standard windows laptop is like comparing a lamborgini countach vs a 5 series bmw (or 7 series merc (i.e. a business laptop), one is a more of a looker vs the other that is easier to live with...

Thanks
    • Million's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5G41T-M LX2/GB/SI LGA775 mATX
      • CPU:
      • Core2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 6Gb Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb OCZ Octane SSD, 3Tb Seagate HDD, 250Gb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4850 1Gb
      • PSU:
      • xClio 700w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Arc Mini (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 36" LED TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60mb cable

This is all good input, thanks everyone.

The Air is not an option - way too expensive. I'll be looking at entry level.
    What does load out mean?
    The reason i'm contemplating the macbook is largely recommendation from my brother. He does similar things to me, and loves his.
    Splash, I want a portable new machine, not a new one to replace my current system (which I am VERY happy with right now). I've never had a laptop.
    I like the remote and the general 'media-ness' of it, but i'm not that fussed.

Does anyone have any more to add on the refurbished kit?

Thanks
    • artaxerxes's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • Intel
      • Memory:
      • Kingston
      • Storage:
      • Intel / Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia
      • PSU:
      • Enermax
      • Case:
      • Lian Li
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple

This is all good input, thanks everyone.

What does load out mean?

Does anyone have any more to add on the refurbished kit?
    If you buy refurbished you have to buy what is on the refurbished page - you cannot choose to have a larger Hard Disk Drive as you order, for instance - the machine is as listed (though on occasion it has more). If you bought from Apple's main page you can change the spec.
    artaxerxes
    INTEL THERMALRIGHT PANAFLO GIGABYTE KINGSTON OCZ NVIDIA CREATIVE MAXTOR LITE-ON ENERMAX LIAN LI APPLE RAZER SPEEDLINK JBL LACIE

Thanks

there doesn't seem to be much point in buying a refurb when you get 15% or so student discount on a new one bud.

and don't worry about the hdd you can change that yourself with 4 screws and 10 mins for much less money.

1280x800 is fine for photoshop, not perfect but acceptable for a portable. lets face it it's not gonna replace your 20 inch monitor just yet is it!

p.s. they do go wrong... rach's battery just died and kunal's screen spontaneously broke in the corner. nothing's perfect but they are a far more enjoyable experience than a windows laptop in my opinion.

oh and a rather entertaining quote from ceri that dad works with: 'if you need to ask why, you don't deserve one' - made me laugh!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artaxerxes View Post
    15% of laptops fail in year one... pretty much regardless of the manufacturer. Apple's Laptops are no exception. [ failure rates]

As a student you should be able to get a new Macbook with 17% off - just by buying from this link Apple Edu Store
    You have to be on your university's network to use that page however.

Refurbished is cheaper but you cannot choose your load out.
    14% for edu discount

Registered+
    Thanks

I switched to my macbook a year and a half ago.

Im a network engineer so work 95% on windows OS all day. I run boot camp on my macbook (2.GHz, 2.5GB RAM) with Vista no problems. Runs a lot better than a lot of Sony laptops same spec with Vista. But thats probably because the Sony bloatware not playing with Vista well.

I found switching to OSX no problem. American keyboard was the hardest bit and the mouse takes a little getting used to.

The battery life of my mac is still great, Leopard has knocked it down to 4hrs now (Vista is more like 3hrs). You'd be lucky to get that on Dell/Sony/Tosh laptops.

I personally feel when you get to 15/17" screens, your laptop should be your main computer. As they arent as portable.

I still have my XP shuttle. Mainly used as a file server (to my flat of Mac laptops now) and media centre.

Thread Information