Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Only a day old and she's already been hit :(

Thanks

Unhappy Only a day old and she's already been hit :(

I picked up my brand new Golf R32 yesterday morning and absolutely love it.

On my way over to my parents place this morning I stopped off at a petrol station to check the tyre pressures. Whilst I was waiting (with the car in park and the handbrake on) someone who by their own admission wasn't looking reversed into me The guy was reversing and turning at the same time so the rear drivers side corner hit the front grill of my car.

Some pics:

I don't suppose the damage is too bad, the grill will be replaced and I'm sure the bonnet can be sorted easily enough.

Even so, I'm gutted. The car only has 150 miles on the clock

Thanks

Re: Only a day old and she's already been hit :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tell me where to find them - ill slap them up for you.

I dont know what to say...I'm so sorry.

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

Thats a crying shame, R32 is a lovely bit of kit.

Thanks

I was quite willing to give him a slap myself, but thought better of it

As far as the claim goes, I'm undecided if I should go through my insurance company (Elephant), VW Insurance (who I have 7 days cover with) or Helphire.

I know a couple of people who used Helphire because they would be getting a better hire car while theirs was being repaired. I don't see why I should drive around in a crappy 1.2 Corsa while my R32 is being sorted.

Thanks

If the other driver accepts fault then their insurance will be paying for a courtesy car. This being the case, you should be given an equivalent vehicle

Thanks

In an ideal world, yes. In reality they'll palm me off with some cruddy 1.2 thing. I've seen it happen time and time again.

Thanks

Something similar happened to a friend of mine, they offered him a pants car when someone hit his parked car. He kicked up a fuss about it and he got a very nice alternative vehicle. Worth a try?

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit

If you know of a decent bodyshop, don't let the insurance company choose. We made that mistake with my mum's car and she ended up being without it for about 5 weeks. They were constantly lying to us and fobbing us off.

Fortunately that damage looks pretty superficial, new grille and either a new bonnet or that one straightneining out, should be a couple of days' work at the right place. IMHO not worth the effort of fighting for a superior hire car. Unless they give you a Perodua Nippa
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks

Ha ha similar thing happened to me when I picked my new car up, woman drove into the back of me while I reckless waited to come out of a t-junction

I was insured with elephant as it happens and they were excellent. The garage I'd bought the car from did not have their own bodyshop but they recommended a trade bodyshop in town, who were great, looked at my car straightaway and gave me a quote (not sure I wanted an accident repair on my brand new cars history, so was considering settling for cash). Unsurprisingly this was loads so I went through elephant - importantly their suggested bodyshop was the same one the garage recommended, car fixed as new and my excess repaid to me before the end of the week. Can't complain at all. Although yes I did get a 1.2 Corsa for a couple of days.

For a brand new car, don't settle for anything other than complete replacement of every damaged panel and fitting. Silver is the toughest colour to match though, so seek advice (although since your car is itself brand new your paint hasn't been in the sun too long, maybe that makes it easier). Anyway could be worse, they might have been uninsured or you could have just returned to your car to find it damaged and no note.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Thanks

The only decent body shop I know closed down a couple of years ago so I'll have to ask some people for their recommendations. I know a few people nearby who are almost as fussy as me when it coems to car repairs so I'll trust their opinion

If I were just going to and from the office then I wouldn't be too fussed about being in a 1.2 thing, but I'm going to be going to and from Heathrow a lot in the next couple of weeks and I won't go on a Motorway in anything smaller than a Golf, I've been blown all over the place from passing lorries before and that ain't happening again.

Professional Bum
    Thanks

When you speak to the insurance company (whoever it is) make sure you kick up a fuss if they try to palm you off with something that isn't equivalent. One of my friends drives a Porsche C4S (utterly beautiful car) and some woman reversed into him in a car park and dented a few panels.

He's a business man who does a lot of miles and meetings so he insisted on something equivalent because it wouldn't look good turning up in a Corsa 1.2 compared to a £70K Porsche They gave him a brand new porsche C4S because he told them he needed it for meetings etc. Either way, don't let them fob you and and if they won't budge, always ask to speak to their supervisor/manager.

Thanks
    • piggeh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS AiLife IP35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 (5-4-4-18)
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900 Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" SM2494HS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable

as long as it is definitely their fault, then get a hire car equivalent to what your car is. There are some firms which will do these for you and then chase the TP insurers for the cash.

Thanks

It couldn't be any more his fault - I was stationary with the handbrake on and the gearbox in park. He admitted when he got out of his car that he hadn't looked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wombar View Post
    When you speak to the insurance company (whoever it is) make sure you kick up a fuss if they try to palm you off with something that isn't equivalent. One of my friends drives a Porsche C4S (utterly beautiful car) and some woman reversed into him in a car park and dented a few panels.

He's a business man who does a lot of miles and meetings so he insisted on something equivalent because it wouldn't look good turning up in a Corsa 1.2 compared to a £70K Porsche They gave him a brand new porsche C4S because he told them he needed it for meetings etc. Either way, don't let them fob you and and if they won't budge, always ask to speak to their supervisor/manager.
    Sounds like an extrodinary case..

Sorry to hear that, as said they are a lovely bit of kit and no1 wants to see it get broken.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Gonna sound like a stupid question but where there any other witnesses? Even though he has admitted it was his fault if he was to suddenly say otherwise its your word against his?

But yeah very unfortunate but I suppose it could have been worse.

Good luck getting it sorted

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by burble View Post
    It couldn't be any more his fault - I was stationary with the handbrake on and the gearbox in park. He admitted when he got out of his car that he hadn't looked.
    It's an automatic? Who cares then? Lols, jokes. Although why would you get an R32 in automatic, seems like a bit of waste to me.

Anyway, good luck getting this thing all sorted. If you went through VW would they not 100% be able to get you an equivalent car? After all it's not like they'd give you a Corsa, lol.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information