Thread: Yesterday I went for a ride.....

Thanks

Talking Yesterday I went for a ride.....

Now when a friend says "I'll get you a ride in my mates..." it's not likely it'll ever happen. After all friend-of-a-friend stories never work out.

Until now that is. Mind you I was in disbelief. This little gem was meant to happen 2 months ago!

Last night TiG and I were while innocently ambushing US Marines as any worthwhile NVA would do. Meanwhile we were in the midst of frustrated phone calls from my t'other half who was doing battle with the Glastonbury ticket hot-line.
    Bring, bring, lo lov... evening mate what's up? In in 45min...yeah, mate's over, 612bhp.......612bhp!

A little over an hour later the sound of knuckles on wood signifies the arrival of an over-excited version of my affore mentioned friend. The cause of his excitement glistened under the lamp light at the end of the drive.

It's amazing how new cars have an extra glow about them, something that no later cleaning can really bring back. This though was something even more special (and I'm assured it'll always look that way due to the ceramic bonding in the paintwork), low and sleek, clean smooth lines, slightly fussy 19" rims, protruding quad-pipes oh and the small matter of the "V12 Bi-Turbo" badge nestling discretely on each wing aft of the front arches.

What we have here is a "proper" car. This is a hair-dresser free zone in no uncertain terms despite it being a full 4-seat coupe.

"We only got five minutes, just back from a sprint to Northampton."

I needed no more prompting. The fantastic seats hug just enough as the door does a double take and shuts us in. It's a strange place, the cabin of this car, a bit like being hermetically sealed inside futuristic pod designed to transport its occupants in leather-lined luxury from A-to-B-to-C and then a bit further still. Friend-of-a-friend leaps in, the seat and steering wheel move to meet him and we're away. Smoothly.

I soon realise we 'approach' and 'arrive' everywhere. The sense of occasion is fantastic, the size and bulk of this two-tonne beast are telling but the great view out and beautifull composure make it all feel insignificant.

Then the engine makes EVERYTHING feel insignificant.
    It's night and the local dual-carriage ways are quiet so a little flexing of the right foot is not the usual danger-ridden nightmare. I soon learn a slight twitch will change 80mph to three figures, instantaneously. From there the 17" brake discs are gob-smackingly good. The time to stop and distance travelled makes a mockery of anything the highway code could think of for cars at 40mph.

Then we waited for an empty stretch of carriageway to present itself.

I've spent all day trying to pin down how this cars engine operates. Its twin-turbos are parallel and not sequential like many seriously fast motors (last generation Porsche 911 Turbo for one). There is 612bhp available with 737lbft of torque. The torque is limited because the (automatic) gearbox needed to handle more is not yet available. It has electronic gizmos all over the place to keep you on the straight and narrow but in this car they're tweaked to allow the driver those hooligan sideways moments.

Take-off is smooth but forcefull, a slight chirrup from the rears, engine uttering a muted roar. Another chirrup as the 'box allocates second and we really begin to advance. No lag, just serine progress. Power delivery is totally linear and while the seats caress you the road is being sucked into the front intakes and hurled out those quad pipes.
    This car acquires speed like an airliner. Remember the last time you sat were thrilled when the pilot on your last flight opened the throttle and raced along the runway on takeoff? It's the same here, the same gathering of momentum, same shove from head-to-toe and not just in the small of your back like lesser automobiles might manage.

I'd guess we accelerated for about 15secs and the numbers showing would make it an eminently acceptable way of trouncing lesser machinery at the pod, four-up.

The pootle home was full of discussion about the toys onboard, the 3d sat-nav and settable speed limiter (for the more conscientious amoungst us).

Back at base we all got round and discussed the nitty gritty. The lack of any fuses (circuit-breakers instead), the intelligent lighting system that can switch functions around the car if the LEDs should fail and the affore mentioned paint. Under the bonnet resides 'the beast' but there's little evidence of the working gubbins.

And then they were gone. Until then I been immensely impressed by everything about the car and could forgive the wheels as something with a £150k price tag deserves a little fuss.
    As they pulled away friend-of-a-friend gently flexed his right foot once again and all TiG and I could do was grin. Inside it might be all comfy and subdued but outside there is a guttural roar of vehemence. It’s pure music to my ears.

The one sad note was the lack of time for TiG to get the same treat. However a deeply appologetic friend-of-a-friend promised to be back. Maybe with the same car de-limited from 155mph. Or maybe an SLR.

Do we believe him? After all he is a friend-of-a-friend and we know how successfull those stories are.....

------------------

Can you tell what it is yet?
    We're talking Mercedes CL65 AMG. The engine is lifted from the Maybach and is a masterpiece of totally bonkers proportions. This particular example had only 75miles on the clock and looks like it's going to get one hell of a run-in.

I've had a quick scrounge for official links but Merc 'only' have the CL55 AMG on their site:
    http://www.mercedesbenz.co.uk/pc/pc_...class/nav.asp?

I did have a little google success however:
    Top Gear Review
    EuropeanCarWeb.com
    Specs & Pics @ SuperCarSite.com
    An owners 1/4mile stats
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    /me nods little more that i can add, apart from if i was able to drive it i'd likely kill myself in ten minutes tops!.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    FANTASTIC

Is all i can say

That post is about the longest i have ever read and glued me totally for the whole of it In all honesty i was keeping my fingers crossed it was a Lamborghini...but hey-who, that Merc is f-ing sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That has just cheered my night up no end, so thankyou
    tom@meangasoline.co.uk | RIP Zoltan

Canon 350d | 50 F/1.8 Mk II | 70-200 F/4 L | 1Gb Sandisk Ultra III

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    Damn. You make me sad

Very nice writing though. What can i say. You lucky sods.

And TomWilko... Lambo?.. With 4 seats?..
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dkmech
    Damn. You make me sad

Dont worry - he's just obsessed! ;-)

Great story there, I too wish to experience the same thrills as you.... hopefully my own car, but I will certainly hope one of my mates get a car like that.... so good you can't write it down in words!!!

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    very very well written indeed

jut googling some of those phrased sentences to see who you nicked them off

An AMG is already a thing of engineering beauty, and a May'd engined version of anything is a true monster.

The best thing here is to understand Vimeous's description of acceleration with no force......of braking with do drama, or riotous amounts of torque being delivered with such poresence and style that you could so 0-100 timed runs with your Grandma and she wouldn't realise you weree going fast...let alone drag racing.

Very very few cars do it well.......Bentley, the occassional Merc or BMW, a single Jag in my experience......to be shielded from the authority of the power and speed and yet still proceeed at such pace.

Un real

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yup, totally agree with you Zak - Luxury barges can do stupid speeds without the occupants realising. Was once taken out in my ex-Boss's Millionaire mates Bentley. Boss was driving and described the feeling as like playing a video game - you put your foot down and the scenery just speeded up; Inside the car, nothing changed.

Fab read Vimeous; you should have made a detour to mine though

Thanks
    Sounds very very nice thought they only did a CL55....but 65 is just silly! I thought it was going to be some sort of street racer or soemthing....until you got to the 150k bit

Also, very nicely written post, good job.

Will
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Thanks
    I was thinking Merc all the way though but I was thinking CL55

Apart from getting there faster ... whats the point in a car you can't feel the speed in Get a Mini or an Elise and you feel like your doing about 120 when your crusing under the speed limit around 70!

Nice car btw ... any pictures of the actual car?

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dkmech
    Damn. You make me sad

I was tired Please forgive me!
    tom@meangasoline.co.uk | RIP Zoltan

Canon 350d | 50 F/1.8 Mk II | 70-200 F/4 L | 1Gb Sandisk Ultra III

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Quote Originally Posted by TomWilko
    I was tired Please forgive me!
    Always for give you mate....always

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    exelent post fella... tbh.. when ya said V12.. and 737 lbfoot torque.. my mind went "Humvee" for some reason....

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    Thanks the kind comments guys, it was a fun post to write and there was no way I could let you miss out! The one thing I regred not doing is letting the windows down at full noise as we went up through the gears, I suspect it may have been even more unreal
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thread Information