Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unsafe drivers

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Unsafe drivers

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
    I find it's usually cabbies and the elderly that pull stupid stunts on the roads around here. Cutting people up, tailgating, no indicating and generally not having a clue on roundabouts (usually the elderly). I've had to use my horn plenty of times, but I recently bought a Skoda Octavia and was a bit embarrassed when I first had to use the horn... It sounds quite "lady like" .
    Cabbies, especially self employed tend to be more careful because loss of the vehicle for repair results in lost income.

If you have had to use your horn plenty of times, then I would suggest you are either failing to anticipate what other drivers are doing, and letting them get on with it while keeping you and your vehicle out of harm's way, or using it inappropriately.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    I think I've only used the horn in my car twice and one of those was accidental while reversing in a car-park and 'palming' the steering.
    I've done that before!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    I've never had an incident with an uninsured driver, the only incident I have had is someone reversing into the rear quarter in a car park while I was stationary. He seemed a tad bemused as to how he'd done it as I have a bright orange car...
    Something similar happened to me before. I was sat in a car park waiting for someone to go so I could get their space, and I noticed another car to my right that was parked reversing out of the space; into me! At the time I was driving a military Land Rover 110, so it's not small. And I know they are painted dark green for camouflage reasons, but I don't think it's that effective in an Asda car park! The irony in this story? That was a good time to have used the horn, but by the time I found it, they had already hit me (it was on a stalk rather than in the steering wheel). No damage was done though.

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Bravo taktak

I have used the horn a few more times, but it's the same circumstance - namely to let someone know I was there when they obviously hadn't seen me and were about to move into where I was. Used in such a manner it's never yet been greeted with anything other than thankfulness by the other driver!
    Last time I used mine was on Sunday, to strongly suggest to another driver promptly get out of the way as I was trying to pull over onto the hard shoulder for an ambulance with blues and 2's on and they were sat at the lights playing on their phone, stopping me from being able to safely move out of the way

Time before that... honestly can't remember
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

In the case of uninsured person hitting you.......if they have lapsed their insurance, the insurance company has to be able to prove they received the policy back from the insured within 30 days of the policy lapsing. If they cannot prove this, they are liable for the duration of the policy.

I had a very kind lawyer chase this for me and the company paid out without complaining.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • PowerPie5000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 + Noctua NH-U12A Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (4X8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 NVME SSD + 3TB Toshiba P300 SATA HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB AMD Radeon RX 5700 - PowerColor Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 750W Riotoro Enigma G2 Modular PSU (Seasonic Focus Plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P400A
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B - 144Hz 1440P Nano IPS
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 76Mb

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Cabbies, especially self employed tend to be more careful because loss of the vehicle for repair results in lost income..
    Most of the cabbies in the Blackpool area are part of a fleet and there are a few of them. I'm not saying they're all bad, but if I have someone up my backside or almost taking the front end off my car then it's usually a cabbie from my own personal experience.

If you have had to use your horn plenty of times, then I would suggest you are either failing to anticipate what other drivers are doing, and letting them get on with it while keeping you and your vehicle out of harm's way, or using it inappropriately.
    If I use the horn then it's for good reason and I don't use it inappropriately. It's always to let other drivers know i'm actually in the car that they've either almost banged in to or are about to. Someone just earlier today went to pull away from the lights while in reverse gear!!! I was behind them and tooted the horn to let them know (I had no way of getting out the way) and was greeted with a ****** gesture from the elderly female passenger of that car... Not something you'd expect. I'm sure it's just this town.

You can't always anticipate what other drivers are going to do, it's impossible.

Thanks

Most of the cabbies in the Blackpool area are part of a fleet and there are a few of them.
    Fair enough, although even if part of a fleet, loss or damage to the car might lead to loss of earnings.

If I use the horn then it's for good reason and I don't use it inappropriately. It's always to let other drivers know i'm actually in the car that they've either almost banged in to or are about to. Someone just earlier today went to pull away from the lights while in reverse gear!!! I was behind them and tooted the horn to let them know (I had no way of getting out the way) and was greeted with a ****** gesture from the elderly female passenger of that car... Not something you'd expect. I'm sure it's just this town.

You can't always anticipate what other drivers are going to do, it's impossible.
    lol! Well, perhaps more Blackpool than St Anne's! Maybe they were from Southport!

/fetches coat and prepares to dodge rotten tomatoes from any Southport natives!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

OilSheikh

Had two interesting encounters within the last week alone!

I turn into a side road and there's a car parked in the middle of the one way ( with cars parked on both sides ) road. A group of Asian kids ( the type that get the weird haircuts that's in between spikes and a crew cut ) and a group of East European men are talking next to the car. They are so involved in their talks that they didn't even notice me. Curious to find out what's going on, I wait 5 mins and then honk. The kids notice me, get in their car and drive off.
    Hello Drug dealing!

Today, I am about to turn right into a side road from a main road and a car is approaching me but is miles away. So, my right indicator is blinking and I start my turn. Suddenly, the car brakes hard few inches away from me. How the hell did this car warp in front omy car so quickly. Yup, after careful Google analysis, I came to the conclusion that she was speeding and definitely going way over the 30mph speed limit.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post

Today, I am about to turn right into a side road from a main road and a car is approaching me but is miles away. So, my right indicator is blinking and I start my turn. Suddenly, the car brakes hard few inches away from me. How the hell did this car warp in front omy car so quickly. Yup, after careful Google analysis, I came to the conclusion that she was speeding and definitely going way over the 30mph speed limit.
    If they were going that fast, you ought to have been able to tell they were really flying, and not pulled across. And for that matter, kept one eye on them. If a car suddenly brakes hard inches from you, that speaks to either poor situational awareness, poor judgement of speed, or both

And ftom a pragmatic point of view, if they hadn't braked in time, you're going to gave the devil's own job explaining it away and avoiding liability, because it looks for all the world as if you turned across the path of on-coming traffic, because you did. I wouldn't be shocked to see you done for due care and attention, if there'd been an accident. After all, road positions and damage will show you pulling across his path, and good luck proving his speed.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    If they were going that fast, you ought to have been able to tell they were really flying, and not pulled across. And for that matter, kept one eye on them. If a car suddenly brakes hard inches from you, that speaks to either poor situational awareness, poor judgement of speed, or both

And ftom a pragmatic point of view, if they hadn't braked in time, you're going to gave the devil's own job explaining it away and avoiding liability, because it looks for all the world as if you turned across the path of on-coming traffic, because you did. I wouldn't be shocked to see you done for due care and attention, if there'd been an accident. After all, road positions and damage will show you pulling across his path, and good luck proving his speed.
    A friend got hit in just that sort of situation, and was charged with due care and attention; the police were uninterested in claims of the other car speeding.

10. Received thanks from:

Saracen (03-04-2015)

Thanks

Highway Code paragraph 180 refers. You should not make the turn until there is a safe gap. If the other car had to brake hard, you did not wait for a safe gap.

That said, it can be hard to judge what is a safe gap, particularly if you are inexperienced, so you need to take extra care to ensure you keep yourself safe.

Of course, the other driver should have slowed down in case you decided to make the turn despite the fact that you were approaching. However, they might not have seen the car, or not judged the speed correctly, because they were inexperienced too.

Two incorrect actions do not make a correct one, but they may lead to a collision that could otherwise have been avoided had just one of them acted correctly in the first instance.

But in general terms, the car travelling on the main road has an expectation of right of way, the car turning should give way to oncoming traffic.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

They are so involved in their talks that they didn't even notice me. Curious to find out what's going on, I wait 5 mins and then honk. The kids notice me, get in their car and drive off.
    Hello Drug dealing!
    Or they were just politely getting out of your way - sounds like they couldn't do that without driving off

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Peoples ability to judge speeds are often widely inaccurate.

Even if they're over the limit or going far too fast for the times and conditions, you've got no proof and even the words and statement of a traffic officer alone wouldn't be sufficient for a conviction on said third party.

14. Received thanks from:

OilSheikh

Highway Code paragraph 180 refers. You should not make the turn until there is a safe gap. If the other car had to brake hard, you did not wait for a safe gap.

That said, it can be hard to judge what is a safe gap, particularly if you are inexperienced, so you need to take extra care to ensure you keep yourself safe.

Of course, the other driver should have slowed down in case you decided to make the turn despite the fact that you were approaching. However, they might not have seen the car, or not judged the speed correctly, because they were inexperienced too.

Two incorrect actions do not make a correct one, but they may lead to a collision that could otherwise have been avoided had just one of them acted correctly in the first instance.

But in general terms, the car travelling on the main road has an expectation of right of way, the car turning should give way to oncoming traffic.
    The car was a dot in the distance and on this road, speed limit is 30mph. Hence I decided to start turning. My car was already on the right-hand side of the left hand lane. From this point to turn into the side road takes only 5 seconds.If it was indeed travelling at 30mph, it would not have been able to come up so quickly.
    Moreover, even though it was dark, headlights were not lit!

I need to invest in a dashcam!

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

Had an interesting one last week on the way home from work.
    Heading out of one of the local villages you drop down a smallish hill and across a valley (60mph limit) of open farmland, with a single lane bridge crossing the small river (on uphill bend), priority is for traffic coming from my direction. Its very flat with open views across the fields and up the hill the other side of the bridge. Car about 50 yards in front of me is going a bit faster than me so crosses the bridge with a bit of a gap, car from other direction (stationary) decides it can make the gap, accelerates, then driver changes her mind and stops in the middle of the bridge. I end up doing an emergency stop from 40, whilst cornering and going up the incline to the bridge, stop with 4ft between us, other driver has closed their eyes and is ducked down behind steering wheel hiding. Although I had priority, I made an iffy decision, this was not to slow down more before reaching the bridge, I had decided to maintain speed to clear the bridge quicker so that those waiting from the other direction could get on their way. If its clear the bridge can be done at 50, I tend to drive that bit at 40, but will in future drive a bit more defensively.

Thanks

The car was a dot in the distance and on this road, speed limit is 30mph. Hence I decided to start turning. My car was already on the right-hand side of the left hand lane. From this point to turn into the side road takes only 5 seconds.If it was indeed travelling at 30mph, it would not have been able to come up so quickly.
    Moreover, even though it was dark, headlights were not lit!

I need to invest in a dashcam!
    Ah, more information! If the other cars lights were off and it was dark, that would be in your favour in any court case or police proceedings. Not that that helps if you are seriously injured, or have to do without a car while it is fixed, plus the paperwork etc.

So the lesson really is to be always alert and try to expect the unexpected.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

18. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Someone just earlier today went to pull away from the lights while in reverse gear!!! I was behind them and tooted the horn to let them know (I had no way of getting out the way) and was greeted with a ****** gesture from the elderly female passenger of that car
    Now, that would have been an interesting one, given that usually shunts to the rear are treated as the fault of the driver behind...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information