Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New shape corsa - anyway to improve lights?

Registered+
    Thanks
    got the new bulbs from halfords, guy fitted them for me. Nice and easy. Still waiting till it gets dark to see improvment. Thanks for everyones help

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon
    Now don't take this the wrong way, but women can't fit a bulb better than 75% of men.

Reasoning? brake light bulbs go in ONE WAY and one way only - they have little pips so you can't get em in wrong. Now a woman, on discovering the bulb won't go in, take it out and has a look, and eventually gets it right.

A man? "Ug, Bulb not fit! Must want turning harder..." Ever seen car sidelights come on when someone brakes? Or brake lights coming on with sidelights? Thats captain caveman fitting the bulb.
    have to point out here Jiff, that my brake lights can go in upside down... then again they are just a small household bulb... twin contact bayonet stylee... put mine in upside down and the brake lights come on when you turn the lights on, and the tail light comes on when one presses the brake pedal

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    I have been told from many sources that putting higher wattage bulbs in is BAAAADD !!! The wiring is designed for 55W bulbs so putting in 80W ones will melt the wiring, have spoken to several people who have had it happen. It can take anything from hours to months but when it goes you will have a mighty bill to replace chunks of the wiring loom. Of course this depends on the car in question, some people use higher wattage bulbs with no problems, and usually this is from putting >100W bulbs in, but personally I wouldn't chance it, overloading wiring causes electrical fires.

The best bulb brightness increase you can get without spending the sillly money of a Xenon conversion are the Osram Silverstar bulbs £25 a set from http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ everyone I know who fitted them cannot praise them enough.

As for the distance of the beam, as standard UK cars are adjusted a couple of degrees lower than the required level. If you find a willing mechanic you can get them adjusted to point slightly higher - i.e. further. But if you do - Please, Please remember that you must use the little dial thingy to adjust them down if you have anyone or anthing in the backseat or boot, or in queueing traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yea, i removed the 80w bulbs, and fitted 55w brighter bulbs instead. As you said, putting 80w bulbs in a 55w car can actually mean you need new headlight sets - because of wiring damage and is hazardous, and wont last as long. I bought just higher quality bulbs, which were more expensive, at about £24 from my local car shop, and he even gave me £4 off because he said i was a good customer, which really meant, that i was a good customer for listening him talk about ghosts for half an hour.
    Anyway, driving on back roads in the dark isnt hazardous (so much) anymore! I even managed to fit them myself. I did have the 80w in my car for a few days, and the change back to 55w brighter bulbs havnt changed the improvment in visibility i got from the 80's. So all in all, im a happy bunny. Thanks for all the help

Thanks

Smile Corsa

I live in South Africa (ex pat) i have just bought a new Opel Corsa for the trouble and strife, over hear, they put 3 engines in them my one a 1400cc puts out 88.5 bhp. The diesel is turbo charged 1700cc puts out 70bhp and the 1800cc petrol 104 bhp. Oh and do you know that they are releasing the new shape one next month. I have also bought the Corsa utility I get it in three weeks cannot wait same engin. if you go to the address you will get the phots as i do not know how to in sert a picture hear.

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...icleId=2130357

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information