Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safety

Thanks

Talking Safety

All road users are safe for a few days....

Cambelt snapped earlier when I was hoofing it down queens highway after an Audi TT...

Best thing is I had it changed 1st thing I did on the car, at a Vauxhall Main Dealer...

16,000 miles ago......
    Anyone think I can go tin there and whip them with whats left of the cambelt n get something outta them, presuming of course I dont tell them I drive like a c00nt

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    I can cross the road without the fear of being mown down now?

W00t
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    cam belt? ouchy.... have you bent much? JC's cambelt fell off his Passat and it totally lunched the motor, bent valves, con-rods. Proper nasty. Mind you it was a diesel.... are petrol ones as bad?

He got a whole brand-fire new engine out of the dealer, cos the nugget had forgotten to tighten the lower cambelt pulley, which i believe he had to remove to get the clutch out or something...

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Trig....I think you should have a damn fine go at them.

Cos if they did it all at there place, then you should lead with a nice phone call, then a visit.

That engine, as you know, is NOT prone to cambelt failure. Not even tensioners are known to fail a lot.

Its an old car tho...so what else did they change.

And I dont wanna urinate upon an already "ging out" fire, but that is gonna be hellishly expensive to rebuild. We have Sodium filled exhaust valves, hollow cam shafts, very high grade pistons and con rods etc in that engine.

Gawd....fingers crossed mate

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: Safety

Originally posted by [GSV]Trig
    presuming of course I dont tell them I drive like a c00nt
    Frankly that aint relevant. Its a GSi...its supposed to be driven fast. It has a rev limiter on it.
    Its within tolerances.

The problem is the AGE of the car

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Thanks
    Thats exactly the reason the 1st think I did was have the belt changed, the car was pushing 100k when I bought it and there was no proof of a recent belt change, that was 16000 miles ago...

Pay main dealer prices n get YTS monkeys doing the job, niiiiiice.....

Thanks
    I have "spoken" to Archie Moss the Vaux dealer where the work was done, there saying take the car in and they'll strip it down and look at it and speak to Vauxhall on my behalf.

I've already taken the belt cover and rocker off and the inlet manifold and most of the exhaust manifold so I could take it to bits and look at it myself, I'm going to send them a letter saying that theres more chance of Saddam Hussein going for dinner with George Bush than my car touching there forecourt again...

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks
    Originally posted by [GSV]Trig
    I have "spoken" to Archie Moss the Vaux dealer where the work was done, there saying take the car in and they'll strip it down and look at it and speak to Vauxhall on my behalf.

I've already taken the belt cover and rocker off and the inlet manifold and most of the exhaust manifold so I could take it to bits and look at it myself, I'm going to send them a letter saying that theres more chance of Saddam Hussein going for dinner with George Bush than my car touching there forecourt again...

So if ya not gonna take it down to there forecourt? surely they wont do the work, and your car will still be knackered?

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

Thanks
    I'm doing it myself, I've already sourced 3 heads, 2 new engines and 3 new cars and enough valves to build abot 5 engines

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    HOLD UP Trigster

1st: If its less that 1 year since it was done, AND if its proven to be the belt failed, NOT an old water pump or similar siezed and CAUSED the failure..... then Vauxhall Motors in Luton will pay for the rebuild at a Vaux dealer or even a new engine if its needed. All Vauxhall parts come with a 1 year warranty if put on by a Vauxhall dealer.

If its taken apart and proven to be summit else failed, such as an item NOT swapped on that cambelt change, then you aint gonna get a bean.

Get the receipt out from your files and check the date and parts used. Its worth a try....it might generally be a bad cambelt, SO its not the dealers fault and therefore they might be trusted to sort it all for FREE

Just a thought.

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks
    it must be more than a year, Trig's had his cavalier a while from what i can remember. and to do 16000 miles from fitting a new cam belt, i'd place my bets on it being more than a year ago, unless Trig's a sales rep and constantly up and down the motorway. But if that was the case he would have an Astra

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

Thanks
    Well I've had the car a touch over a year so it was done about a year ago, the car had just cracked 100k by the time I had it done, the mileage is standing at 116086 as we speak..

I could take the car back to Archie Moss, they said they'll strip it down find out what was the cause and then talk to Vauxhall on my behalf, no idea how long this will take and I NEED a car...
    This would also mean I'd have to take the car in myself and I've already taken the rocker cover ant the cambelt cover off, dunno if this'll make any difference to them or not..

Or, I could finish stripping it down 2nite, get a replacement head and valves 2moro and get it back on the road myself by Sunday nite....

I dont trust them with my car, they changed my pads and disks on another car, 3 months later I needed new pads as the front left caliper had seized, the covers hadnt been put on properly and the cali got all shyte up n stopped working..

This Cav they fixed a fuel leak and had to drop the tank, when they put the tank back they didnt connect soemthing properly or something, result the fuel comp says 75 miles, guage says 1/4 of a tank, tanks empty I run outta fuel , not a biggy but hey it all adds up...

Then this....

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks
    bundle all that in a letter to them and do the job yaself.

Thanks
    Aye, I'll write them a nice unabusive letter and kindly inform them that will no longer be using them

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Originally posted by Howard
    I can cross the road without the fear of being mown down now?

W00t
    fraid not matey there are still plenty of rude boy NOVAHH!! drivers on the road. that reminds me its boy racer night where i live and they are all gona be round the local muck donalds and shopping centre impressing the cough ladies

Thanks
    All 16 valves are bent, the pistons ahve bits of broken valve stuck to them, the bores look alrite but I dont have the time or the money for a rebuild, so its new engine or car time, feelers are out for a decent running XE or a Cav GSi....

Thread Information