Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hmm, Gatso Deaths

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Originally posted by TiG
    I drive a Octavia Vrs, 180bhp turbo mate, i understand the problem but i don't agree with the way its the looking at the speedo constantly arguement works in this case.

TiG
    OK, say they went nuts and started putting cameras everwhere. Specifically hidden where you would possibly least expect them. You go 2mph over the limit and 'BANG!', a NIP turns up on your doorstep. You will find that everyone drives around looking at their speedo. NOBODY can drive at exactly 30 without looking at their clock.

There are already some places like this.

Thanks
    I drive a Octavia Vrs, 180bhp turbo mate
    Philz drives a 300bhp MR2

i think a HUD is the best solution to this problem - why where they only fitted to the JDM 200sx's
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    I still disagree tho, i tried it at lunch time, driving in 5th through a 30 limit requires no adjustment in throttle once i set myself as i applied the breaks coming from the national speed limit zone.

You just sit your foot on the floor and keep it still, my village isn't the smoothest of roads and during the checking throughout the village it was always at 30.

Maybe my foot just weighs enough to counterbalance the pedals but. Driving at 30mph means that you would have much more time to check your speedo, the body having been up to 60 or 70 produces lots more adrenaline which allows you to work much quicker. Checking your speedo at 30 is at lot safer than checking at 60 or 70, as the distance you travel at 60 is going to be double that at 30.

Look to the future if they put a GPS unit in everyones car to monitor speeding to get rid of gatzo's you'd have to pay a lot closer attention to speed then. All the time constantly....

You wouldn't sit at 30, 60, 70 etc, you'd sit just below the limit to ensure you didn't speed.

If you are unable to keep a constant speed while driving a car i'd say i'm slightly concerned about you driving.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    define constant :

if this "big brother " GPS system you suggest comes into force , every time you go 31 miles an hour in a 30 zone, you get fined.

driving at 25 miles an hour will cause more accident than it fixes due to the impatience factor it will cause.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Originally posted by TiG
    I still disagree tho, i tried it at lunch time, driving in 5th through a 30 limit requires no adjustment in throttle once i set myself as i applied the breaks coming from the national speed limit zone.

You just sit your foot on the floor and keep it still, my village isn't the smoothest of roads and during the checking throughout the village it was always at 30.

Maybe my foot just weighs enough to counterbalance the pedals but. Driving at 30mph means that you would have much more time to check your speedo, the body having been up to 60 or 70 produces lots more adrenaline which allows you to work much quicker. Checking your speedo at 30 is at lot safer than checking at 60 or 70, as the distance you travel at 60 is going to be double that at 30.

Look to the future if they put a GPS unit in everyones car to monitor speeding to get rid of gatzo's you'd have to pay a lot closer attention to speed then. All the time constantly....

You wouldn't sit at 30, 60, 70 etc, you'd sit just below the limit to ensure you didn't speed.

If you are unable to keep a constant speed while driving a car i'd say i'm slightly concerned about you driving.

TiG
    I'd say that if you can keep a constant speed accurately on an undulating road then you are obviously super-human!

Thanks
    Originally posted by Big RICHARD
    I'd say that if you can keep a constant speed accurately on an undulating road then you are obviously super-human!

or use crusie control

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Moby-Dick
    define constant :

if this "big brother " GPS system you suggest comes into force , every time you go 31 miles an hour in a 30 zone, you get fined.

driving at 25 miles an hour will cause more accident than it fixes due to the impatience factor it will cause.
    Impatience isn't a factor if you get booked for doing 31 in a 30 using a big brother system. But it can't work like this, the way i'd say it would work would be for the system would be to penalise anyone doing say 10% more than the speed limit for 10 seconds.

Overtaking would also need to be factored in, overtaking someone doing 45 mph in a 60, i wouldn't just go up to 60 to overtake, i'd take it to whatever speed was required to make the pass quick and safe, the system shouldn't penalise you for making that sort of increase.

Its never as easy as it seems but i'm amazed we've got this much concern over the ability to keep a constant speed.
    TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID
    Originally posted by TiG
    Overtaking would also need to be factored in, overtaking someone doing 45 mph in a 60, i wouldn't just go up to 60 to overtake, i'd take it to whatever speed was required to make the pass quick and safe, the system shouldn't penalise you for making that sort of increase.
    Sad fact is doing that is illegal, and you'd get fined for that. Common sense says you should minimise your exposure time to danger, i.e on the other side of the road.

This is a known tactic of the Scamera vans. Sit on a single carridgeway NSL road where lorries are only allowed to do 40mph, then pick off all the overtaking cars that breake 60mph.

Sickening..

Thanks
    As Lowe said, Gatso's dont take account of overtaking ( though most gasto sites are not places you would want to overtake to be fair )

I have no doubt to in my ability to drive a reasonably constant speed to a given degree of accuracy. However I do know that I'm more aware of my speed when in a known Gatso'd area. Being more aware of my speed implied that I woudl "notice " the speedo more often , which also implies I'd spend less % of concentration on the road ( allowing for peripheral vision )

by forcing a mindset of speeding being akin to child molesting , the media , government & police have sidlined more serious problems such as tailgating and not driving at a suitable speed (sadly this can only be calculated by common sence - a trait 90% of british motorists seem to lack)

They have been clamped down so tightly to the limits , they will still to them , even if its dark, wet and foggy etc. If driver intellegence was used then they would be driving suitably slower and lees likely to cause an accident.

JUST BECUASE THE GATSO DONT FLASH DONT MEAN THAT IT ISN'T WRONG

aaaaand breathe.....

Thanks
    Originally posted by Lowe
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by TiG
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sad fact is doing that is illegal, and you'd get fined for that. Common sense says you should minimise your exposure time to danger, i.e on the other side of the road.

This is a known tactic of the Scamera vans. Sit on a single carridgeway NSL road where lorries are only allowed to do 40mph, then pick off all the overtaking cars that breake 60mph.

Sickening..

Tig this is exactly the point most here are trying to make, it's not about all of use doing 60 through a 30 limit. I'm sure that most of the people reding this wouldn't ever wish to do that and especially at danger times like school end etc. but if you had to overtake a slower vehicle you'd want to do as lowe sais and minimise your potential risk by getting it done promptly BUT legally your commiting an offence. Under your reaconing of zero tolerance (which I've taken from your posts and this may not be your view actually from reading your last post it probably isn't ) then you should have already had your nip and possible points !!

A police officer standing with a gun would recognise this, may pull you over, but from talking to a few police they would be more likely to warn you to be careful. Unfortunately the camera sees everything in 1's and 0's, there is no room for tolerance and we all know that this world is not black and white.

Unfortunately the issue is not as small as just speed cameras, it's the general attitude of this government and the establishment to supress any dangerous activity that could cause them to loose money, while continuing to allow such activities as smoking & drinking, I'm sure these cause as many deaths and are just as dangerous to people in general but at the end of the day both smoking and drinking generate huge amounts of revenue !

Speed cameras have only been widely taken up as they are far more efficient at producing revenue than a bobby on the beat etc, they may help improve safety levels but only if positioned correctly and if used in conjunction with proper police activity such as a crackdown on illegal drivers and dangerous drivers, aswell as better education of children into the dangers of the road. Accidents are NOT all the motorists fault and we can't continuing to motorist bash as is currently happening now !

Thanks
    On the subject of knowing your speed I used to have a Citroen that would wiggle between 25 and 35 all the time, and it wasn't a car problem - that was just how it worked at that speed, above 40 it would sort itself out. I guess when they manufactured it speed cameras weren't as big an issue, you used to have to watch the wobble and read it as the speed in the middle.

Thanks
    My current Peugoet does that aswell, it tends to wobble at around 30mph so theres no real way of me telling exactly 30mph on my speedo !!

Not even staring at it for ages would help me do that

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID
    Wobbily speedo is a French thing, they all do it. It's a knackered speedo cable in 99% of the cases, but some like mine still do it.

Thanks
    I had mine changed and it still did it

I've seen it in a few of the cars that we've part x'd over the years and yeah they're mainly french

Thanks
    And the moral of the story is stop buying french muck

Thanks
    I didn't buy it I got given it to use

but yep I'd agree with the french muck comment for my car

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information