Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hmm, Gatso Deaths

Tally Ho
    Thanks
    mine wobbles like crazy lol can never really tell wat speed im doin

(pug btw)

Thanks
    Originally posted by Lowe
    Wobbily speedo is a French thing, they all do it. It's a knackered speedo cable in 99% of the cases, but some like mine still do it.
    your own fault, buy Jap, you never see wobbly rice ;p

Thanks
    Originally posted by fraggie
    mine wobbles like crazy lol can never really tell wat speed im doin

(pug btw)
    Another french car, anyone starting to see a bit of a theme developing here?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Russ
    your own fault, buy Jap, you never see wobbly rice ;p
    Speedo in my MR2 wobbles a bit. Still it's old, I can't complain.

What you should remember is that until recently all the money from speed cameras went direct to the government, the police forces who paid to install them didn't see a penny of the revenue. Quite why the hell they put them in such random and useless places in general then I will never understand, but then I guess that's the nature of the public sector, there are a lot of ****ing morons working for the government (me included). Now if a police force wants to keep the money they have to paint the camera yellow and ensure it's visible from 100yds away (or something like that).

I dislike speed cameras but I've never been caught by one, so I'm not that bothered. What really pisses me off is that if I was a copper in an unmarked car I could nick someone every 5 minutes driving around London for stuff like undertaking, not indicating, double parking, poor lane discipline, complete failure to observe box junctions, jumping lights etc. etc. etc. In fact though, the only time I ever see a copper stopping someone it's novaboys being done for having a small number plate or noisy exhaust. When I was 16 I got pulled 3 times while riding my moped for spurious stuff as an excuse for them to do a name and address check to make sure I hadn't pinched the bike. 8 years later there are hundreds kids on scooters riding around here cutting people up and I have never once seen a policeman stop one of them. I used to regularly see a bike copper with a gun pull up and check the speed people were doing down the road next to mine (a rat run and site of a few accidents). I haven't seen one doing that for ten years or more, and it seems every other car going up the road outside my wife's parent's house is going dangerously fast.

I don't know why I started this, I've just made myself angry when I should be going to bed. Damn I'm sounding like the moany old git I've become.

Rich :¬)

Edit: Those ABP statistics are a load of BS btw. Sure if you extrapolate the trend from before '93 things look better than they are now, but who says the death rate would have carried on falling? Sure, if cameras hadn't been introduced then deaths would have fallen to zero by 2005, and from 2006 people would have started coming back to life in car accidents
    Last edited by Rave; 15-10-2003 at 12:41 AM.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Originally posted by [GSV]Myocardial
    Tig this is exactly the point most here are trying to make, it's not about all of use doing 60 through a 30 limit. I'm sure that most of the people reding this wouldn't ever wish to do that and especially at danger times like school end etc. but if you had to overtake a slower vehicle you'd want to do as lowe sais and minimise your potential risk by getting it done promptly BUT legally your commiting an offence. Under your reaconing of zero tolerance (which I've taken from your posts and this may not be your view actually from reading your last post it probably isn't ) then you should have already had your nip and possible points !!

A police officer standing with a gun would recognise this, may pull you over, but from talking to a few police they would be more likely to warn you to be careful. Unfortunately the camera sees everything in 1's and 0's, there is no room for tolerance and we all know that this world is not black and white.

Unfortunately the issue is not as small as just speed cameras, it's the general attitude of this government and the establishment to supress any dangerous activity that could cause them to loose money, while continuing to allow such activities as smoking & drinking, I'm sure these cause as many deaths and are just as dangerous to people in general but at the end of the day both smoking and drinking generate huge amounts of revenue !

Speed cameras have only been widely taken up as they are far more efficient at producing revenue than a bobby on the beat etc, they may help improve safety levels but only if positioned correctly and if used in conjunction with proper police activity such as a crackdown on illegal drivers and dangerous drivers, aswell as better education of children into the dangers of the road. Accidents are NOT all the motorists fault and we can't continuing to motorist bash as is currently happening now !
    I see your point, and i'm not arguing with the reasoning behind the cameras, i know its just a con and i'm certainly not pro speed cameras, but i do believe that 30mph means 30mph. In built up areas i will always obey the speed limits, its the most likely place to get caught speeding and the least likely place you would be to get away with a speeding offence.

I believe that modern cars are more than capable of larger speeds than the 70mph law that was introduced years ago should be allowed. But again i would then want 0 tolerance above those limits.

The thing that i think people miss here is that minority rules, those who are small and shout loudest get what they want. Its the way of the government at the moment.

And as for peoples speedos i think you should get them fixed if they wobble by that much at 30mph.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    I believe that modern cars are more than capable of larger speeds than the 70mph law that was introduced years ago should be allowed. But again i would then want 0 tolerance above those limits.
    The 70mph limit was introduced after they caught an AC cobra doing over 150mph up the M1 IIRC When motorways where first introduced they had no speed limit.

Thankfully most places allow the 10% + 3 mph rule ( as will most courts ) because even if your speedo says 30 mph , the chances of it actually being 30 mph are slim.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Originally posted by Moby-Dick
    The 70mph limit was introduced after they caught an AC cobra doing over 150mph up the M1 IIRC When motorways where first introduced they had no speed limit.
    I heard it was 187mph.

Rich :¬)

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    It was the oil crisis in the 70's that caused the 70 speed limit.

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID
    Speedo's always under read unless you do something daft with your wheels.

So driving smack on the nose at 30 means you shouldn't get done..

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    lorries are allowed to do 50 on single carrage way roads. if you cant control a powerful car properly then you simply shouldnt be driving one. keeping to 30 or below is no problem at all, and if you obayed the law then gatsos arn't a problem. you wont get fined for doing 33 - it has to be 10% + 3mph iirc. this is because a gatso can be about 3 or 4 mph out when reading a cars speed, due to prevailing winds, weather conditions and calibration, and your speedo is allowed to be up to 10% out.
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    the moterway speed limit was set by a cobra (iirc - i dont think they made them that long ago) trying to do a record-breaking run. it was set in 1965 as a temporary limit then permanentized a few years later. the nsl was reduced to 50 for a while in the 70s to reduce fuel costs but this was just temperary

Thanks
    I have a 306, and the speedo doesn't wobble.

Regarding, looking at the speedo when you see a speed camera, I can imagine it causing alot of accidents, I dont particularly like looking at it :/

Thanks
    Just as a thought, how are you meant to know if ur speedo's acurate?

I know that the one on my new cav runs about 10mph over at 30mph, now that means that if I were driving at 30 I'd really be doing about 19mph...

Speedo's arent tested at MOT time so how the hell are we meant to know...?

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    my mates ZX's speedo wobbles +/- 15 mph. rather shocking.

i think they are tested at mot but im not sure. failing that go up to one of them speedo things that displays you speed and see how far out you are

Thanks
    I spend half my time looking at the speedo when I'm in camera zones

When I first learnt to drive (9 years ago) I spent my time looking at the road. I've never had a ticket. I dont drive a fast car. I dont really speed - I'm a bit of an old granny actually.

I'm really not a good driver. If a kid jumps in the road these days at the worng time and I'm busy watching my speedo, then he'd better start praying to whatever god his parents claim to worship, is all I say.

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    trickle : is that 'stunt driver' or something under your name?? looks like an old geoff crammond game i vaugly remember

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information