Thread: 1995 Accord EX Brakes

Thanks

1995 Accord EX Brakes

Ok so recently my brakes began to squeak. Big deal I know the drill, lube it up maybe put some new brake pads or something. So I take a look and see that its all nicely lubed and the pads have plenty of life left in them. I also notice that there was a weird metal plate/spring thing that was a little bit messed up looking. I do not know what the part is but it is a metal spring (not like a spiral spring but like a flexible sort of H shaped metal piece). It looks like it is supposed to rest around the outer circumference of the brake disk in between the disk and the actual brake clamp part (excuse my dumbed down lingo I'm really not a car buff). The spring was supposed to rest on TOP of the brake pad and on the outer circumference of the disk but instead it was crammed into the side of the brake pad and on the circumference of the disk. I moved it back to what looked like how it was on the other side (This is the rear left wheel by the way). Unfortunately I am still getting the sound.

Ok I will take a moment to describe the squeaking because it is different than most squeaky brakes. When I am driving along (NOT exclusively when I am braking, actually usually when I am NOT braking) it will make random squeaks and sounds like something is dragging a little or something (think a cross between a nail tied to a string dragging under the car and normal brake squeaking). Also, when in reverse and only when in reverse, I hear a much louder, lower and deeper sound. It is more of a moaning sound or a whining sound. Almost like when a dog howls but a little lower and sharper. I tried to go to kragen and get the spring piece because i figured it might still be a little bent even though it is now in the right place but they did not have any and I do not know what it is called. I have no idea what to do and all this squeaking and such is driving me insane, not to mention how embarassing it is to have my car moan at 100000dB every time I pull out of a parking spot. Please Help!

Thanks
    Does the squeaking stop if you dab the brakes? and is it worse going round corners? If so, it's probably a wheel bearing on the way out. Not a great deal of difficulty to fix

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    Yes it does get worse around corners, especially if I use the brakes around the corner but even if I don't even touch the brakes as I round the corner. Dabbing the brakes does sort of stop it some of the time (it usually at least changes it somewhat) but it doesn't completely eliminate the problem usually. How might I go about fixing it? Or is that a job for someone far more experienced than I ?

Thanks
    • BenW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Dual SATA2
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 3500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB Crucial DDR
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Samsung 8MB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 3850
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 17" Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8Mb
    Could be that something is stuck in the pad. We had a stone get stuck in a rear brake on an old mondeo, made a whopping great gouge in the disk.

Thanks
    I checked out the disk surface and there wasnt anything obviously wrong with it so I don't think anything is stuck in there

Thanks
    Sounds like it will be the bearing then if there's no damage on the discs... It's not a difficult job to do, but if you are unsure about it, it's worth taking it to a garage and get them to have a look - it's no bigger a job than changing the brake discs - most places will be able to do a bearing for you. If it does turn out to be a bearing, get both sides replaced - just like you tyres.

Thanks
    Will it be expensive? (goin off to college in a few months....definately pretty broke)

Thanks
    I have no idea sorry... your best bet is to have a shop around and see what you can get - it shouldn't be a big job.

Thanks
    Alright thanks alot man

Thanks
    One more thing I forgot that would probably help diagnose the problem. Ever since a few days ago both my emergency brake light and my abs light have been on. I noticed that the left rear brake that was being problematic had what appeared to be the e-brake on it. Is it a safe assumption that the problems are related? Also I do not know why the abs light would be on but i assume if my brakes are messed up the abs system would probably be too right?

Thanks
    /bump

Thanks
    The clip you refer to in your first post sounds like the retention clip that is used to hold the pads back in the caliper so they dont scrape along your disk all the time.

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like the clip is either loose or broken, which is causing the pad to catch the disk, making the unusual scraping sound. If thats the case it should be an easy fix, you can buy retention clips from halfords. On some brake pads the clip is attached to the pad itself, if this is the case you may need a new set of pads for the rear (dont just replace one side, it could be dangerous).

You may have already sorted this by now, but if not, I hope its of some help. :-)

Cheers
    Deep fried mushroom ears dipped in chocolate

Thanks
    So my dad said he would just pay for it and we took it to pep boys. They replaced the whole thing or whatever i think it cost like $150. Seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the help guys!

Thread Information