Thread: PSU Always on

Registered+
    Thanks

PSU Always on

I bought a HX520 a while back and it has almost always had this problem...

When I first installed it in my system (check my system on the left) it was fine. After flashing the BIOS once, the power supply always stays on...

When my mobo is in standby I see a mix of blue & red lights on the board. My fans are powered and so are all my SATA devices... I hit the power button and it works fine but now I can't turn it off unless I use the switch on the power supply.

Any ideas and how would I go about using my warrenty for this?

Thanks

NOT Banned
    Thanks
    i'd say before you go and rma the psu test it out with another board to see if it still stays on, otherwise it maybe your mobo at fault.

Thanks
    It does not sound like a PSU issue. If it was fine before your bios flash then the problem is most likely related to the board and bios. You may want to clear CMOS and test it again. The switching on the board controls the status of the PSU.

Also, you may want to check your power and reset switch wiring to make certain it is connected properly. You could also have a bad case switch. You can test it by disconnecting the case PSU and reset leads. Then, use a jumper block from a HD or a small screwdriver to start the system. Start the system this way, boot to the OS, and shut down and see what happens.

Registered+
    Thanks

Unhappy Finally did a small test...

Well I tested it last night...

I pulled out everything (including the PWR/RST switches) apart from the ATX and double 12V to my board and well... It still has the same problem!! I switch it on from the back and the mobo is in a half powered state (denoted by a mix of red and blue lights).

I also found out that one of my XMS2 paired modules is corrupt as windows refused to start when it was in the first slot...

I had to try and run the Windows CD to get the repair console but got nothing but corruption issues in the loading phase. Just left the other half in with one of my old ones and everything was back to normal.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    I have this PSU with an Asus P5B Deluxe, is the PSU still spinning? when I switch my PC off it shuts down but the Mobo light is still on and the keyboard lights are, it has never bothered me to get it swapped but could it be a problem?

I have not bothered updating Bios.

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rezen View Post
    Well I tested it last night...

I pulled out everything (including the PWR/RST switches) apart from the ATX and double 12V to my board and well... It still has the same problem!! I switch it on from the back and the mobo is in a half powered state (denoted by a mix of red and blue lights).

I also found out that one of my XMS2 paired modules is corrupt as windows refused to start when it was in the first slot...

I had to try and run the Windows CD to get the repair console but got nothing but corruption issues in the loading phase. Just left the other half in with one of my old ones and everything was back to normal.

Any other suggestions?
    Do you have a friend or local shop that can help you post some of your components and make sure they are working. My first guess is bad MOBO but, if you can, test the memory and CPU in another system.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulm@scan View Post
    I have this PSU with an Asus P5B Deluxe, is the PSU still spinning? when I switch my PC off it shuts down but the Mobo light is still on and the keyboard lights are, it has never bothered me to get it swapped but could it be a problem?

Paul, I can't see where that could be the PSU doing that. However, you know our return policy so, if you conclude it is the PSU, we'll be happy to replace it. Also, flashing the bios and resetting CMOS could not hurt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    Paul, I can't see where that could be the PSU doing that. However, you know our return policy so, if you conclude it is the PSU, we'll be happy to replace it. Also, flashing the bios and resetting CMOS could not hurt.

True as I said though its not faulty works a dream best PSU I have used. I will flash the Bios when I have chance and double check those connectors.

Thanks

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulm@scan View Post

My exact problem is as follows. The whole machine is off - there is no power running through anything. I switch on the PSU using the switch on the back and the fans starts immediately (molex and header fans) and seems to half power the P5B Deluxe as well. This is shown in 2 ways.

1) The lights for detecting a power source is on but both BLUE and RED lights are on at the same time meaning its in sleep but is power on as well (?? It should be just blue right now). They are both on when the machine is active as well (which I'm guessing should be just RED at this point.)

2) As soon as I switch on the PSU, my SATA devices and all fans are just running whether the PC is active or not.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    Do you have a friend or local shop that can help you post some of your components and make sure they are working. My first guess is bad MOBO but, if you can, test the memory and CPU in another system.
    I will have to do this in a few weeks time as I do need this machine running as well. When I get a chance to, I will definately post up my results.

Thanks for the great support!

Thanks
    Sounds like a bad MOBO to me. Do you have a friend or local shop that could help you isolate the issue? I'd suggest testing your system with another PSU or, testing your PSU on another system.

its all clear now
    Thanks
    • No.72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • commando
      • CPU:
      • e6300 3.50ghz artic 7
      • Memory:
      • 4gb corsair red tracers
      • Storage:
      • 320gb RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870XT
      • PSU:
      • 620 watt corsair
      • Case:
      • coolmaster 831 SE orange
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407WFP AO4
      • Internet:
      • 10 meg virgin
    Mine does the same, with my HX620 my commando lights are on after I power off and so are my keyboard/mouse lights, but its not big deal is it?

Also it might be some sort of clever thing that keeps a small amount of current running through the hardware. A way of keeping the computer 'well oiled' so it does not ware out. (a clever type of stand by)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by No.72 View Post
    Mine does the same, with my HX620 my commando lights are on after I power off and so are my keyboard/mouse lights, but its not big deal is it?

Also it might be some sort of clever thing that keeps a small amount of current running through the hardware. A way of keeping the computer 'well oiled' so it does not ware out. (a clever type of stand by)
    it's perfectly normal for a PSU/mobo to have 5VSB power on when the system has been soft powered off by Windows - it allows for "wake-on" events (LAN, by keyboard etc.).

However, things like fans shouldn't be on in that state so it sounds like for whatever reason that the mobo & PSU aren't communicating properly or 1 of them is faulty.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    • ukengineer's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS A8N-SLi DELUXE
      • CPU:
      • AMD 4600 X2 S939 @ 2.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB GEIL ULTRA PLATINUM DUAL CHANNEL DDR PC3500
      • Storage:
      • 1.2TB OVER 4 FAST SATA DRIVES
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi X1950XTX GDDR4 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Mesh
      • Case:
      • Mesh MatriX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" DVi LCD 6ms
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbit Blueyonder/Telewest now Virgin
    If its doing all this only since you flashed the bios, my bet is the Flash changed some things to default, pop in your bios and go through every setting.
    I got a Gigabyte board upstairs that can be in this state, it allows charging of USB devices, it can also be used for many other things.

Thread Information