Thread: Water Cooling Upgrade Help - MCW30 and Asus Ramage 2 Extreme

Thanks

Water Cooling Upgrade Help - MCW30 and Asus Ramage 2 Extreme

Well in a moment of madness yesterday I decided to spend a lot of cash on the following:
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
    3x2GB Corsair 1600 MHZ memory
    Core i7 950 (I know I should have gotten the cheaper one but im lazy)

My Existing setup is a Q6600 on Asus Blitz Formula 2, with 4 GB running Water Cooled using a H20-APEX Ultra Plus water cooling kit from Swifttech.

Basically long story short, the water cooling I added about a year ago and the rest of the computer is 2 years old. The Asus Blitz Formula 2 has in built water cooling blocks which are 1/4 inch, the H20 is 1/2. I used the converter supplied for the Blitz Forumla but didnt like it as it felt flimsy.

Well I was right, it split at that junction and covered my motherboard in cooling fluid. I then took it upon myself and cut the existing waterblock (it cant be removed since it has pipes to the south bridge [heat pipes not water pipes]) from the motherboard and installed the MCW30 onto the motherboard instead.

Thankfully it worked after I got it cleaned up, but I have always hated the sight of those two cut tubes on the motherboard.

Now with windows 7 on its way this week and 2 years from the last upgrade I thought it would be a good time to upgrade the mb and cpu.

Unfortunately I forgot to check about the CPU and MB cooling block. I am happy to buy the APOGEE GTZ CI7 to replace my existing GT block. And I know there is a block designed for the ASUS Rampage 2 Extreme but I can find no where in the UK which has it in stock (MCW-NBMAX is impossible to find).

So the question is can I install my current MCW30 onto the ASUS Rampage 2 Extreme (believe me I have searched the internet for this answer)?

And if not what other waterblocks would people recommend for this board?

EK-FB RE2 Rampage II Extreme Block looks very nice, but after the last time I dont want to be going from 1/4 barbs to 1/2 tubing again.

Help please, I love how quiet my current PC is and want to keep my watercooling system.

Thanks

Re: Water Cooling Upgrade Help - MCW30 and Asus Ramage 2 Extreme

Quick question on top of this.

If and when I replace the CPU and MB block do I need to replace the tubing going into them?

My tubing is 7/16 ID onto 1/2 barbs so it can be diificult to get on and off, Im worried about it stretching.

Thread Information