Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmm new black xbox360 or PS3

Thanks
    I would go for the 360, for the games

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    The Optical Drive is but the fans are the same. Does it really matter, surely not the deciding factor on a games console. My PC is louder, definitely.

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Thanks
    • longbow360's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI neo-f (soon to be upgraded)
      • CPU:
      • e6400
      • Memory:
      • 2gb 800mhz XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250gb hitatchi TK's, 1 x 320GB seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800Gts OC 640MB
      • PSU:
      • 750watt thermaltake
      • Case:
      • jeanteck phong 2
      • Monitor(s):
      • nec 19" 4:3
      • Internet:
      • sky 16mb unlimited
    I would go for the 360 jst now. I love my 360 and all it's online goodness. Can't understand ehy they don't build in the HD-DVD drive to the elite, but never mind.

As it is, i've seen the PS3 in motion now, and it's mighty impressive, it really is, but does not have the amazing games that the 360 has in PGR3, Forza 2, Gears of War etc.

Come 6 months down the line though and the case for the 360 might be not be so good, given that metal gear solid and gran turismo will be out or released soon after.

I think both systems need original killer games though, cause they all seem to be sequels! Other than Gears of war, can't really think of anything original.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeTuk View Post
    The Optical Drive is but the fans are the same. Does it really matter, surely not the deciding factor on a games console. My PC is louder, definitely.
    Having a noisy console in itself doesn't seem quite right to me. :| Optical drives spinning up and down is one thing, but constant noise? A lot of PCs aren't set up well enough to be quiet, but all PCs can be (within reason) - mine is barely noticeable, for example, and a heck of a lot quieter than my mate's 360. Console noise, be it silent or jet-engine-esque, is something you're stuck with.

For the 360/PS3 debate, the HD format war has to be a consideration (even if only a minor one - games obviously must be *most* important). Having a noisy HD-DVD player or a quiet Blu-Ray player is not a favourable comparison for the 360.

When the 360 is quiet/silent (and Microsoft stop insulting me by calling me a child), I'll be considering one again. And I'll be considering a PS3 once they're under £100!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Black 360 looks kool, I would still prefer a PS3 though. Good games will come out soon. ANyone seen the trailer for GTAIV for example

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bfbf View Post
    Black 360 looks kool, I would still prefer a PS3 though. Good games will come out soon. ANyone seen the trailer for GTAIV for example
    The one thats also on the 360?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    The one thats also on the 360?

yep still think it will be better on the PS3 though, GT also looks very good

I think fighting the case of the PS3 in the Microsoft Gaming section was a bad idea

Flying prans are the flalalum Veles's Avatar
    Thanks

I think fighting the case of the PS3 in the Microsoft Gaming section was a bad idea

It'll be the same game, on a better control pad.

Veles on: Xbox live, My Halo stats
    Veles343 on: Xfire, Steam, BF2, BF2142
    My Blog

Thanks

OK...

It will look almost exactly the same because the engine that drives the game will be the same it always is for cross-platform games.

Methinks you may be a little blinkered in your views of the PS3/Xbox360.

Having a noisy console in itself doesn't seem quite right to me. :| Optical drives spinning up and down is one thing, but constant noise? A lot of PCs aren't set up well enough to be quiet, but all PCs can be (within reason) - mine is barely noticeable, for example, and a heck of a lot quieter than my mate's 360. Console noise, be it silent or jet-engine-esque, is something you're stuck with.

For the 360/PS3 debate, the HD format war has to be a consideration (even if only a minor one - games obviously must be *most* important). Having a noisy HD-DVD player or a quiet Blu-Ray player is not a favourable comparison for the 360.

When the 360 is quiet/silent (and Microsoft stop insulting me by calling me a child), I'll be considering one again. And I'll be considering a PS3 once they're under £100!
    I can see the noise is an annoyance to you but to be honest anyone with a gaming PC its either loud or expensive (for watercooling). Unfortunately for you they choose some sound over price. I have plenty of PCs here at work which are near silent in low noise conditions but these would never handle current games or anything more than some image editing and usual office work.

I think you may need to wait a while on both fronts for this generation to meet your high standards. For a start MS have only ever discussed the possibility of reducing the fabrication process for the Xbox360 processor (and even then they haven't spoken openly about it, its community conjecture) however as its PowerPC based thats more difficult as they are not the sole company involved in its manufacture. It would require more than many people think, its not like flicking a switch in a factory and hey presto 65nm come out of the end. As for the PS3 being £100 you are simply being unrealistic, at £499 I doubt it will ever reach that price before the next generation.

I think you should get a console of your choice and enjoy since at the moment you seem to be worried about minor annoyances which are spoiling your chances to enjoy some ace games and some even better ones upcoming.

Also when did MS call you a child? Not sure what you meant there?
    Last edited by GeorgeTuk; 03-04-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Methinks you may be a little blinkered in your views of the PS3/Xbox360.
    Yep methinks that too

Even if the game engine is the same won't it be better on the PS3 as it has slightly higer specs?

Thanks
    Yep methinks that too

Even if the game engine is the same won't it be better on the PS3 as it has slightly higer specs?
    That's rather debatable...

"I have a car with a 8000cc, V16 engine. It's awesome!"

"Yes, but it only outputs 126bhp. With a top speed of 96mph. It's an awesome engine, implemented badly."

At the moment we can't tell which machine has better specs. It will come down to how they are able to be implemented. The PS3 has a worrying high memory/core overhead for OS when compared to the Xbox.
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming. i5-6500. 16gig Ripjaw 2400. Samsung 950pro NMVe 250gig+ 1tb Intel 660p. GTX Titan. Corsair TX650M.

939 3800 X2 | 2gig corsairXMS 3200C2
    1950XT | 500gig,320,200,160
    Plextor DVD burner | Yamaha CRW-F1 CD-drive
    Thermaltake Xaser 3 w 480W FSP | X-fi fatal1ty

Things have moved on since I first joined...

Thanks
    I can see the noise is an annoyance to you but to be honest anyone with a gaming PC its either loud or expensive (for watercooling). Unfortunately for you they choose some sound over price. I have plenty of PCs here at work which are near silent in low noise conditions but these would never handle current games or anything more than some image editing and usual office work.
    Really? I never seem to have a problem choosing quiet components for my gaming rigs. Arctic Freezer 64 Pro and a VGA Silencer cost... £20 total? I can still hear my PSU, though. Still, at least it's quieter than a 360.

But I think you missed the point somewhat. As I mentioned in my previous post (which you quoted), the noise is an issue when using the 360 for HD-DVD movie playback. It would therefore be more apt to compare the 360 in this situation with a quiet/silent SFF PC, designed for living room use. It would also be fair to compare it against a standalone DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player. As I also said in my previous post (which you quoted), this is less of an issue for consoles than *quality gaming* (which should always be a games console's priority and primary selection criteria), but it nevertheless is an issue if HD-DVD playback is one of the reasons you are purchasing the console.
    I think you may need to wait a while on both fronts for this generation to meet your high standards.
    Not really. I have a Wii. Least loud and most fun.

And even last-gen, such as the PS2, wasn't exactly loud, either. Or... any console, really, besides the original X-Box. Out of all of the consoles through history, only the two X-Boxes really seem to generate that much noise. And it's only just become an issue with the last two generations, as they both had some aspiration for living room movie-playing (PS2 and X-Box for DVD, PS3 and 360 for HD). As it stands, the 360 offers Gears of War, Dead Rising, and HD-DVD playback over my PC. As it's too loud for a living room HD-DVD player, and Gears of War is coming to PC anyway, I can't really justify spending £200 to play Dead Rising.

Hence why my interest in the 360 will dramatically increase again once they sort out the noise level.
    Also when did MS call you a child? Not sure what you meant there?
    Back in October/November, a European Microsoft exec said he wasn't worried about the Wii because it was just for children.

Then... was it last week? Earlier this week? A Microsoft chap said that people are happy with the Wii... until they turn 14 and want something more.

Edit: I did say in this post that the Wii is most fun, but I should probably point out that I only use it a couple of times a week, when I have friends over. I use my PC a lot more. Heck, I only purchased a Wii because it offered something different and more sociable than PC gaming.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    the dreamcast was a noise bugger. and the optical drive on the gamecube makes some real loud clunking noises at times

Registered+
    Thanks
    • ThunderBolt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • K8v SE Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • AMD
      • Memory:
      • 2Gig
      • Storage:
      • 200Gig Seagate SATA, 200Gig Maxtor SATA, 160Gig Maxtor IDE, 500Gig Iomega Ext (2)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 128meg
      • Case:
      • Mesh MidiTower
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17"LCD NEC
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 2meg
    Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    ps3 only has like 11 games and their all average IMO.

seriously if your soul purpose in buying a console is to play games than dont even consider a ps3.
    Blimey... Give it a chance!

XBox 360 has one thing that puts me off and that is the controllers. Maybe it's just what you get used to but I find them awful to use. Come summertime and PS3's games will be equal in number to the 360 I reckon.

That said... Most people here seem to be backing the 360 so perhaps it's just me!?!
    Hanging around in a marquee...

Isn't that loitering with-in-tent?!?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderBolt View Post
    Blimey... Give it a chance!

XBox 360 has one thing that puts me off and that is the controllers. Maybe it's just what you get used to but I find them awful to use. Come summertime and PS3's games will be equal in number to the 360 I reckon.

That said... Most people here seem to be backing the 360 so perhaps it's just me!?!
    I think everyone backs the existing leader because that way you are winning, and with the internet you can always swap sides easily and nobody can remember!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinJim View Post
    Really? I never seem to have a problem choosing quiet components for my gaming rigs. Arctic Freezer 64 Pro and a VGA Silencer cost... £20 total? I can still hear my PSU, though. Still, at least it's quieter than a 360.

But I think you missed the point somewhat. As I mentioned in my previous post (which you quoted), the noise is an issue when using the 360 for HD-DVD movie playback. It would therefore be more apt to compare the 360 in this situation with a quiet/silent SFF PC, designed for living room use. It would also be fair to compare it against a standalone DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player. As I also said in my previous post (which you quoted), this is less of an issue for consoles than *quality gaming* (which should always be a games console's priority and primary selection criteria), but it nevertheless is an issue if HD-DVD playback is one of the reasons you are purchasing the console.

Not really. I have a Wii. Least loud and most fun.

And even last-gen, such as the PS2, wasn't exactly loud, either. Or... any console, really, besides the original X-Box. Out of all of the consoles through history, only the two X-Boxes really seem to generate that much noise. And it's only just become an issue with the last two generations, as they both had some aspiration for living room movie-playing (PS2 and X-Box for DVD, PS3 and 360 for HD). As it stands, the 360 offers Gears of War, Dead Rising, and HD-DVD playback over my PC. As it's too loud for a living room HD-DVD player, and Gears of War is coming to PC anyway, I can't really justify spending £200 to play Dead Rising.

Hence why my interest in the 360 will dramatically increase again once they sort out the noise level.

Back in October/November, a European Microsoft exec said he wasn't worried about the Wii because it was just for children.

Then... was it last week? Earlier this week? A Microsoft chap said that people are happy with the Wii... until they turn 14 and want something more.

Edit: I did say in this post that the Wii is most fun, but I should probably point out that I only use it a couple of times a week, when I have friends over. I use my PC a lot more. Heck, I only purchased a Wii because it offered something different and more sociable than PC gaming.
    Sorry my bad. You are right about the noise when in home theatre use. I am now of the mind that Blu-Ray could be the dominant format but having said that I am not risking £500 or even £200 on it, I will wait until a player is £175 and get that, but it won't be a console it will specific for the job.

I have a Wii also and it is pretty quiet but it does get hot to touch and I think its close to needing an extra fan having said that they seem to managed it pretty well. I think the outer casing acts as kind of secondary heat sink explaining the heat.

I like the Wii, neigh, I love the Wii and I MS are wrong about the kid aspect but how often to hear a company of MS size come out and say the other product is a real rival. They barely even acknowledge the PS3 as a rival when we all know it is. I don't think these companies know how to take the Wii yet, all they can see is its selling alot more than they were expecting, when questioned so just say the first thing that comes to mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information