• TJ07 / PCV700
      • Operating System:
      • 10 64/ 10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 30” 3090 + ASUS 27 144HZ 1440p IPS
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre pro

D50 v D70 Buying Advice

Right I have just been down to my local Jessops and had a look at the Canon 350D (which although just about to order I have now discounted because I don't like the feel of it!! - thanks for the tip Noah)

So now the choice appears to be between the two Nikons.

Main reason because the D70s seems to come with a significantly nicer Lens (and its glass over plastic) and the price difference with both cameras with the 18-70mm lens is 100pounds.

D50 + 18-70mm is 500
    D70 + 18-70mm is 600

Now 600 pounds is stretching my budget a bit really, but I don't mind if i'm gonna see the benfit - what do you think guys

BTW thanks for all your input so far I REALLY appreciate it, Im gonna keep this camera for 3-5 years so I wwanna get it right

Dianeal/Extraneal/Physioneal hoodmeister's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

There's not a massive amount between the two. The D70 has a few extra features.

I ripped this from KenRockwell's site. Perhaps don't pay too much heed to the comments, just take note of what the differences are :

What's missing compared to the D70 and D70s that I'd miss a little:

1.) No White Balance fine-tuning. You can do this through bracketing, but that's cumbersome. If you care about this as I do get the D70s; 99% of people will never miss this.

2.) No front (secondary) command dial. That's OK, the D50 also lacks the WB fine tuning you adjusted with this dial. To adjust the aperture in manual exposure you hold the aperture button (same as the exposure compensation button) while turning the command dial. I prefer this in A and S modes since I never can remember which knob to turn on my D70; on the D50 it's always the one command dial that does it.

3.) No ability to use the built-in flash for remote control of external flash. To do this you'd need to buy an SU-800 or SB-800 for a few hundred dollars, which makes no sense. If you use this feature (I do) just get a D70 or D70s. I have a whole page explaining this here.

4.) No viewfinder grid. I would miss this, most people won't.

5.) SD vs. CF memory cards. Again, better for a tyro whose point-and-shoot probably took these. Bad for pros since we all have pockets full of CF cards, in fact, for a pro the price difference between the D50 and D70s is about the price of a few new SD cards.

6.) No ability to set the lowest shutter speed used with flash in P and A modes. I do set my camera to 1/15 or 1/8 instead of the usual defaults of about 1/60.

7.) No AF area selector lock button. I rarely use this and it bugs me when I do, so no big deal.

8.) Won't work with MS-D70 battery holder for disposable CR2 batteries. Even though the D50 uses the same EN-EL3 rechargeable, there is a pin on the MS-D70 that corresponds to a hole in the D70 and D70s. To jam it into the D50 you'd have to take a pair of dykes to the MS-D70, but don't do that since the MS-D70 puts out a higher voltage than the EN-EL3 for which the D70 and D70s can compensate and the D50 can't. The EN-EL3 makes 7.4V while the MS-D70 pumps out 9V. I do keep an MS-D70 in my bag if my rechargeable ever dies on me, which has never happened in over a year of use.

9.) 2.5 FPS compared to D70's and D70s' 3 FPS.

10.) No prophylactic LCD cover. I suggest using a conventional stick-on one cut to size like these here so you simply may replace the cover, and not the camera, when you scratch it up.

11.) No illumination of top numeric LCD panel. In the dark use the menus and see them on the rear color LCD.

12.) No depth-of-field preview button. No big deal, 99% of photographers don't even know what this button does even if the D50 had it.

13.) No two-finger FORMAT CARD buttons. You have to go into a menu. Pros refoprmat a card every time they use it. We don't just erase the images. We reformat because it eliminates any potential for data errors and other weird things that can accumulate over time without reformatting.

What's missing that I never used on my D70 anyway:

1.) Only 1/4,000 top shutter speed compared to 1/8,000. Not important; I've never even used 1/4,000 on any of my cameras.

2.) The D50 loses the hard button for bracketing. One has to use a menu instead.

3.) No custom function for setting exposure compensation without having to press the +/- button. No big deal, the default is just hold the +/- button and turn the command dial like every other Nikon DSLR.

4.) No ability to change the diameter of the center weighted meter (Note to Nikon: specs on page 130 claim this feature however there is no way to set it in the menus on page 96).

5.) No ability to set the order of bracketing.

6.) No ability to allow your selection of AF areas to wrap around when you go off one end.

7.) No ability to turn off the "use flash" symbol in the viewfinder.

8.) No meter mode button. I never use center or spot meters, but if you do you now have to go find them in a menu. The meter button of the D70 and D70s is now the self timer and remote control button on the D50, which I prefer.
    Some of those are minor, some less so - but it's hard to say what you would and wouldn't miss, because it's all down to personal preference. Personally, I use the metering button often to change metering without even looking away from the viewfinder. You couldn't do that on a D50, but you may never want to..

It's a toughie, but I'd say go for the D70. That's simply because you intend to keep the camera for so long. Doing that means that you're likely to "grow into" the extra features, and also get to know the camera very, very well (something which requires lots and lots and lots of use).

edit : Just for comparison, I'm going to re-quote the stuff from Ken's site below, adding my own comments. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm not saying Ken is right - It should just help to portray that every photographer is different.

What's missing compared to the D70 and D70s that I'd miss a little:

1.) No White Balance fine-tuning. You can do this through bracketing, but that's cumbersome. If you care about this as I do get the D70s; 99% of people will never miss this. Doesn't bother me - I use it on occasion but always shoot RAW, so can fine tune in pp anyway

2.) No front (secondary) command dial. That's OK, the D50 also lacks the WB fine tuning you adjusted with this dial. To adjust the aperture in manual exposure you hold the aperture button (same as the exposure compensation button) while turning the command dial. I prefer this in A and S modes since I never can remember which knob to turn on my D70; on the D50 it's always the one command dial that does it. This would drive me nuts, but that's because I tend to shoot fully manual a fair bit.

3.) No ability to use the built-in flash for remote control of external flash. To do this you'd need to buy an SU-800 or SB-800 for a few hundred dollars, which makes no sense. If you use this feature (I do) just get a D70 or D70s. I have a whole page explaining this here. Remote flash is extremely handy, and more than just a gimmick. It's a serious outlay to get it with the D50, and more gear to carry around. I'd miss it

4.) No viewfinder grid. I would miss this, most people won't.Mega mega handy feature. I always have it on - great for landscape horizons and as a general composition aid

5.) SD vs. CF memory cards. Again, better for a tyro whose point-and-shoot probably took these. Bad for pros since we all have pockets full of CF cards, in fact, for a pro the price difference between the D50 and D70s is about the price of a few new SD cards.Horses for courses.

6.) No ability to set the lowest shutter speed used with flash in P and A modes. I do set my camera to 1/15 or 1/8 instead of the usual defaults of about 1/60.I change mine a fair bit, but I could live with not being able to change it

7.) No AF area selector lock button. I rarely use this and it bugs me when I do, so no big deal.Ditto what Ken said

8.) Won't work with MS-D70 battery holder for disposable CR2 batteries. Even though the D50 uses the same EN-EL3 rechargeable, there is a pin on the MS-D70 that corresponds to a hole in the D70 and D70s. To jam it into the D50 you'd have to take a pair of dykes to the MS-D70, but don't do that since the MS-D70 puts out a higher voltage than the EN-EL3 for which the D70 and D70s can compensate and the D50 can't. The EN-EL3 makes 7.4V while the MS-D70 pumps out 9V. I do keep an MS-D70 in my bag if my rechargeable ever dies on me, which has never happened in over a year of use.Never used the thing. CR2's are expensive

9.) 2.5 FPS compared to D70's and D70s' 3 FPS.I rarely use continuous drive, but that's because of what I shoot. seems like a minor difference to me though

10.) No prophylactic LCD cover. I suggest using a conventional stick-on one cut to size like these here so you simply may replace the cover, and not the camera, when you scratch it up.Very handy bit of kit - those plastic sheets tend to bubble and scuff at the edges

11.) No illumination of top numeric LCD panel. In the dark use the menus and see them on the rear color LCD.Would irritate me like cray-zee in low light, which is quite often

12.) No depth-of-field preview button. No big deal, 99% of photographers don't even know what this button does even if the D50 had it.Very handy feature - most handy for macros

13.) No two-finger FORMAT CARD buttons. You have to go into a menu. Pros refoprmat a card every time they use it. We don't just erase the images. We reformat because it eliminates any potential for data errors and other weird things that can accumulate over time without reformatting.I reformat a card every time I use it, so pretty much what Ken said. Minus the Pro stuff

What's missing that I never used on my D70 anyway:

1.) Only 1/4,000 top shutter speed compared to 1/8,000. Not important; I've never even used 1/4,000 on any of my cameras.Would irritate me. That's a whole stop faster you can shoot, which when you're using a fast lens for shallow DoF in reasonable light, is a life saver

2.) The D50 loses the hard button for bracketing. One has to use a menu instead.Handy for HDR, otherwise I don't really use it

3.) No custom function for setting exposure compensation without having to press the +/- button. No big deal, the default is just hold the +/- button and turn the command dial like every other Nikon DSLR.Not a very good description. All you can do with the D70 is set exposure compensation to be the "off" command dial in S, A or P modes. The D50 doesn't have this because it doesn't have a second command dial. I tried using this, but found I accidentally dialed in exp. compensation too often.

4.) No ability to change the diameter of the center weighted meter (Note to Nikon: specs on page 130 claim this feature however there is no way to set it in the menus on page 96).I leave centre weighted metering at 8mm. Not something I'd miss

5.) No ability to set the order of bracketing.Very minor

6.) No ability to allow your selection of AF areas to wrap around when you go off one end.Again, very minor. It's nearly as quick to press the AF area selector one more time going back to the other side

7.) No ability to turn off the "use flash" symbol in the viewfinder.Minor irritation. You'd live with it

8.) No meter mode button. I never use center or spot meters, but if you do you now have to go find them in a menu. The meter button of the D70 and D70s is now the self timer and remote control button on the D50, which I prefer.I change metering lots, and on the fly. Would annoy me.
    Last edited by hoodmeister; 24-06-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    ken rockwell + the entire amount of salt in the world's seas = sound advice.