Thread: Dominator SPD Question

Thanks

Dominator SPD Question

Hi,
    I have purchased the above pair of Dominators recently to use them with my XFX 790i Ultra board and they are working fine however I have a query regarding the product name I see when I run Utilities such as CPU Z.
    It shows a memory part number: CM3X2G1600C9DHX and the max bandwith is showing as: PC3-8500F (533 Mhz).
    Can you shed any light in this?
    Many thanks
    Raging Blade

Thanks

Re: TW3X4G1600C9D RAM on P55 GD65

Ps:

I have the same issue as the person who wrote the review within the link below.

ncix.com/products/index.php?mode=productreviewread&product_id=40069&review=1

Why isn’t this clear when I visit the Corsair website to check the memory sticks. It feels as though I have purchased a repackaged memory

Of course this may be me jumping the gun due to my ignorance thus I seek your advice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Blade View Post
    It shows a memory part number: CM3X2G1600C9DHX and the max bandwith is showing as: PC3-8500F (533 Mhz).Can you shed any light in this?
    Many thanks
    Raging Blade
    This number is part of the default SPD timing. This low default timing and frequency is necessary for the system to be able to boot the memory at default settings or after a CMOS clear. It has nothing to do with the actual tested settings for your memory.

If the memory will run 1600 at CAS9, it is meeting the listed specification. As noted the SPD has no bearing on this and it is not repackaged RAM. However, it does appear that you may have a module that has been programmed with the wrong SPD. If you would like for us to replace it, we will. This is much like a car having the wrong badge on it and will not affect performance but we certainly have no issue replacing your memory if you like.

Thanks

Re: Dominator SPD Question

Thread split for clarification from other thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    This number is part of the default SPD timing. This low default timing and frequency is necessary for the system to be able to boot the memory at default settings or after a CMOS clear. It has nothing to do with the actual tested settings for your memory.

If the memory will run 1600 at CAS9, it is meeting the listed specification. As noted the SPD has no bearing on this and it is not repackaged RAM. However, it does appear that you may have a module that has been programmed with the wrong SPD. If you would like for us to replace it, we will. This is much like a car having the wrong badge on it and will not affect performance but we certainly have no issue replacing your memory if you like.
    Thanks for the prompt reply and explanation.

As I understand it the SPD has no bearing on the performance, it is there as a label.

How would I go about exchanging my memory? I bought these from Amazon.

Many thanks

Thanks

Use this link below to RMA with Corsair. We are sorry you had this issue.

RMA LINK

Thanks

Thanks Yellowbeard,

I've completed the form and I await a reply from Corsair.

Do you think they might send me the correct memory before I take these out of my system? Otherwise I will have no access to my computer whilst this is resolved.

Thanks

Hi,
    It seems like a long time but I still haven't been able to resolve the issues with the memory modules. I've received an advance RMA set that was wrong (2x1GB sticks), then I received the correct ones but still with the same SPD setting as the original.
    Another email has been sent to request resolution.
    Can you she any light in this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Blade View Post
    Hi,
    It seems like a long time but I still haven't been able to resolve the issues with the memory modules. I've received an advance RMA set that was wrong (2x1GB sticks), then I received the correct ones but still with the same SPD setting as the original.
    Another email has been sent to request resolution.
    Can you she any light in this?
    Of course it is going to have the same SPD as the original modules. I'm not sure what you are asking of me at this point. You have not explained anything that is an issue per se.

Please understand that I am not trying to be insulting but, you clearly have not yet gotten an understanding of what the SPD is or what it does. And perhaps it is my limitation or inability to explain it to you. But, simply exchanging the modules is not going to do any good unless the first set of memory was defective. The SPD is going to be the same.

Thanks

Angry Re: Dominator SPD Question

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    Of course it is going to have the same SPD as the original modules. I'm not sure what you are asking of me at this point. You have not explained anything that is an issue per se.

Please understand that I am not trying to be insulting but, you clearly have not yet gotten an understanding of what the SPD is or what it does. And perhaps it is my limitation or inability to explain it to you. But, simply exchanging the modules is not going to do any good unless the first set of memory was defective. The SPD is going to be the same.
    Thanks for the effort not to insult me however I asked at the outset about the SPD readings I obtained using CPUZ and you stated that the modules I had may have been programmed with the incorrect SPD setting hence your suggestion to RMA the memory. You even stated that it was like buying a car but with a wrong badge in the example above.
    Well, why would anyone in their right minds buy a car with the wrong badge? In this case if my memory modules have got the wrong badge then I want the memory with the correct badge, that's all, nothing more, nothing less.
    Having stated that perhaps the incorrect SPD may have been used to program my memory modules you are now saying that the SPD is going to be the same - So, if this is the case what made you suggest that it was incorrect in the first place?
    I there another set of memory modules that is compatible with XFX790i Ultra SLI motherboard within the Dominator range?
    I might be unhappy at present but I do appreciate the response from people that know much more than I do about memory modules.
    Thank You.

Thanks

Note that I said you "may" have the incorrect SPD. You have not posted any screenshots or additional system specifications so there is no way to be sure.

When I said the SPD would be the same, I meant that the correct SPD on replacement modules would of course be the same on new modules. My point is, the SPD programming will have absolutely no effect on the performance of these modules. It's merely a starting point when you first boot.

So, if you exchange the modules and they have the correct SPD, the performance would be the exact same as the other modules if the BIOS is set the same. An RMA in this case will not change any performance characteristics.

What CPU are you using and can you please clarify what system you are using them with? What CPU are you using? Also, CPU-Z screenshots of the SPD tab AND the MEMORY tab would be helpful.

Thanks

ok im going to help been as you 2 seem to have got your wires crossed your RAM settings are all correct and as for yellowbird you did give the impression to send his RAM back as it was wrong, but it isnt its all spot on as i have the same set of RAM bought brand new from SCAN so i know them to be correct. as for why CPU-Z doesn't pick up the right facts im putting it down to the simple reason you cant expect much from free software.
    and now im done im going to bed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vm1990 View Post
    ok im going to help been as you 2 seem to have got your wires crossed your RAM settings are all correct and as for yellowbird you did give the impression to send his RAM back as it was wrong, but it isnt its all spot on as i have the same set of RAM bought brand new from SCAN so i know them to be correct. as for why CPU-Z doesn't pick up the right facts im putting it down to the simple reason you cant expect much from free software.
    and now im done im going to bed
    What other program would you suggest? (that isn't free, if it makes any difference!??!)
    Thanks

Thread Information