Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2x4GB Corsair TWIN2X 6400C5DHX & ASUS P5B Deluxe?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: 2x4GB Corsair TWIN2X 6400C5DHX & ASUS P5B Deluxe?

Don't you have to have memory re-mapping on in the BIOS for the P5K to recognise more than 3GB with 4GB installed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Subi75 View Post
    Refer to section 2.4.2, on pages "2-13" onwards, specifically pages "2-15" & "2-16" which gives the QVL for the 3 types of RAM supported (DDR2-533, DDR2-677 & DDR2-800).
    The QVLs for memory are always very incomplete. All that indicates is what memory ASUS has actually tested which is very little. That's why the lists are so incomplete. You are much better off to check with the RAM manufacturer to see what memory has been tested with the board.

Here is what I was actually asking about:
    I put 4 x 1Gb PC-6400 Rambo ram on my board, and it only detects 3Gb.... which sucks big time..... seems the board manufacturer had a marketing agreement with specific ram manufactuers.... no offense to Corsair, as I'm now looking for the required 4 x 2Gb Corsair RAM for the board to get it to 8Gb but my current problem is that ASUS dont provide the details of the supported RAM modules for 8GB.
    This is not correct.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tetras View Post
    Don't you have to have memory re-mapping on in the BIOS for the P5K to recognise more than 3GB with 4GB installed?
    I'm not sure, you may want to check with ASUS on that. However, this thread is about the P5B MOBOs, not the P5Ks.

Registered+
    Thanks

Oops sorry I misread but afaik it equally applies to the P5B / P965.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tetras View Post
    Oops sorry I misread but afaik it equally applies to the P5B / P965.
    Yeah, easy to do. I'll try to get my P5K back on the bench and find out.

Also:
    I have 4 x 1Gb Rambo brand ram, and it only recognises 3Gb... I've tested all slots and also all RAM modules to confirm no faulty parts.
    You may want to contact ASUS or RAMBO then as this section is for supporting Corsair products. Good luck with your issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    You may want to contact ASUS or RAMBO then as this section is for supporting Corsair products. Good luck with your issue.
    Yellowbeard, I'm all fine, I was just making a statement that I knew the memory and motherboard itself wasnt faulty...

Anyhow, thanks to the comment from Tetras, I realised I hadn't enabled the memory remap feature in the BIOS. I've since done that and can now both see and access the full 4Gb RAM. Once I update the RAM to 8GB, I'll be interesting to see if I can run 8Gb worth of 800Mhz RAM, or if I have to backgrade to 677 or 533MHz ram.

Before you ask "Why 8Gb", its cause im running a Win2k3 server with mutliple VM's, and so I need the RAM for them to run adequately...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Subi75 View Post
    Before you ask "Why 8Gb", its cause im running a Win2k3 server with mutliple VM's, and so I need the RAM for them to run adequately...
    I never ask that and it has become annoying to see how many people reflexively use "why so much RAM" or "you'll never use that much" or "you are stupid cuz nobody needs that much" etc etc etc as their standard replies to RAM inquiries. Some of them tend to criticize without knowing anything about the user on the other end. Virtual machines are becoming more popular and are a great use for "too much RAM". Glad to see you got 4gb sorted, have fun with 8.

Thanks

I currently use 4 GB on this system (ASUS Striker Extreme) I started of will 4 x 1GB DIMM's and changed to 2 x 2GB DIMM's because it was impossible to keep it stable. I use 64bit Linux and am happy with 4 GB, but at work my desktop has 8GB in 1GB DIMMS and 2 CPU's. So yes it can work, but you are moving into server quality equipment. People will complain if a motherboard cost over £150, but that would only buy you a dual port Intel NIC, so to get to use 8GB reliably you might have to get a new high quality motherboard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information