Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My 6600K DELID steps and overclocking results! (With advice from Hoonigan)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: My 6600K DELID steps and overclocking results! (With advice from Hoonigan)

The colour doesn’t matter - you need a neutral cure compound (not an acetoxy cure)

This is one https://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/Pro...alants/HAN2499

However I have not used it for sealing electronic components and make no recommendations for or against its use! (But it doesn’t liberate acetic acid!)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Ravens Nest

Thanks for the all the comments, and suggestions.

At this moment i am settling with 4.5ghz at 1.235V, seems stable so far, to be honest i do not see a massive improvement in performance from 3.5-4.5ghz so i am not really interested in trying to get to 5ghz.. now the lower temperatures are what have impressed me the most no game or benchmark goes above 52c @ 4.5ghz much better than i started at 3.5ghz failed overclocks and stock temps of 82c on OCCT.

Getting my DDR4 2400mhz ram on either tighter timed or higher frequency or both is the next thing i am going to focus on.. i did get it to 2800 and 3000mhz and had a couple of post errors but when it worked it was noticable in games and windows (Windows loaded quicker and games low FPS were better)

And then re-applying thermal compound on my Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970 and overclocking it is my next mission.
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 11-05-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Changed Voltage from 1.23V to 1.235V due to POST error :(

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

The overclocking bug has well and truly infected Raven here. He'll be looking at LN2 and ice boxes next!

Ravens Nest

Goes to start googling the names...
    Actually tempted to replace the Gigabyte G1 970 thermal compound with Conductonaut liquid metal, but seen horror stories about it reacting with aluminum but still researching the idea.
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 09-05-2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: errors

Ravens Nest

Just a quick update on things.. as you may have notice on another forum post I tinkered too much and broke my Asus Z170 pro gaming motherboard, I changed to a Gigabyte GA-Z270-Gaming K3 so all in all cost me £113 instead of £53 oh well.

Another nightmare i had was I decided to make a more permanent job with the IHS using Loctite superglue gel one blob on each corner, came back to install it (After letting it dry for an hour and a half.) and it was still wet got all over my hands and while I was cleaning them decided to dry on the i5 IHS(Wonky) in that small amount of time so had to use the Die-mate to remove the lid again..

So please please everyone attempting this don't use Loctite superglue gel.

Also i took my gigabyte g1 gaming 970 apart cleaned the heatsink and changed the thermal compound to thermal grizzly kryonaut temps dropped from 72c to 68c small drop but every little helps!

But the good news is now my PC is running beautifully, every game seems to run better as I guess it never seems to throttle due to the lower temperatures.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

@Ravens Nest - the advice I was given was to use an activator if you're using super glue. You want it cure as quickly as possible when reapplying the lid.

My 7700K is still doing really well at 5.0GHz, topping out at around 80°C when the room gets warm at full load.

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    @Ravens Nest - the advice I was given was to use an activator if you're using super glue. You want it cure as quickly as possible when reapplying the lid.

My 7700K is still doing really well at 5.0GHz, topping out at around 80°C when the room gets warm at full load.
    An activator? always thought superglue especially loctite drys very very quickly.. so i guess the advice is Please please everyone attempting this don't use Loctite superglue gel (unless you use an activator)

80c at 5ghz is very good

Banned
    Thanks

The delid is responsible for most of the temperature drop, 15-20 degrees is regularly seen on Skylake and newer chips.

That being said, lapping does still does offer 3-4 degrees of improvement with some CPU coolers. IMO, it is better to just a flat pure copper IHS for $20 though, same effect with no time or sandpaper.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information