Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 6600K DELID steps and overclocking results! (With advice from Hoonigan)

Ravens Nest

My 6600K DELID steps and overclocking results! (With advice from Hoonigan)

I kept reading about deliding Intel sky lake CPU's and the more videos i watched the more confident i got.

So i bought a Delid Diemate 2 (For taking the lid off),
    Conductonaut (for replacing the thermal compound under the lid),
    liquid metal applicator (Crap black ear buds),
    Kryonaut (Thermal compound for under the Heat-sink),
    Surgical spirit from Superdrug (for cleaning the old thermal compound off)
    Cotton balls, ear buds, toilet roll, kitchen towel, sellotape,plastic card and clear nail polish.

Quite a list..

I didn't know Conductonaut came with 2 applicators with it and 2 alcohol wipes, so i didn't need the surgical spirit or separate applicators.

Well anyway the Diemate was soo easy to use took the lid off with ease, i put the CPU and lid on some kitchen towel.

I cleaned the thermal compound off with toilet tissue, scrapped the silicon off the CPU and lid with my nail lightly, then used an old plastic card (like a credit card) to get the rest off.

Used the alcohol wipes to clean the CPU and lid and then put sellotape around the core of the CPU and sellotape around the inside of the lid then applied the tiniest drop of Conductonaut to the CPU core and spread it with the applicator once i was happy with that i used the excess on the inside of the lid then took the sellotape off carefully.

Then i applied a tiny amount of nail varnish to the gold contacts on the CPU as i did not want liquid metal touching those not good

then i put the CPU back into the socket on the motherboard matching it up with the arrow, then put the lid carefully on top. i then put the CPU retention clamp down slowly putting two fingers onto top with a little pressure as the lid can move..

Once clamped i applied a pea size drop of Kryonaut into the centre of the lid after cleaning the heat-sink and top of lid first of course.

then put the PC back together and it booted and straight away i noticed how much quieter it was, i tested with the rise of the tomb-raider benchmark and then temperature has dropped from 68c to 48c and OCCT went from 67c to 56c and whereas it used to get very noisy it is quiet now.

I have had it like this a few days and decided to overclock, i have the 6600K upto 4.5ghz at the moment and also my DDR4 ram is up from 2400 to 2800mhz voltage on CPU is 1.3V and DDR4 is 1.35V

Rise of the tomb raider benchmark temperatures are 51C!(happy with that) and OCCT is 73c which seems a little high..

I will try lower voltages by small increments to get the temperature down, but all in all i am very happy i have done the delid and it is quiet in intense gaming and strangely it seems smoother even without the overclock less spikes in FPS I am guessing.

P.S. also a thank you to Hoonigan for his advice,pm's and support.
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 07-10-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added photos

2. Received thanks from:

Blaineoliver (02-05-2018),CAT-THE-FIFTH (18-04-2018),Corky34 (19-04-2018),DR (18-04-2018),Millennium (02-05-2018),Output (18-04-2018),peterb (02-05-2018),Pob255 (03-05-2018),virtuo (18-04-2018),Zak33 (19-04-2018)

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Re: My 6600K DELID steps and overclocking results! (With advice from Hoonigan)

Nice to see a success story, what was the price breakdown of all the parts & equipment?

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by virtuo View Post
    Nice to see a success story, what was the price breakdown of all the parts & equipment?
    Around about £53, even if the overclocking wasn't successful getting the temperature down from roughly 70c to 50c in most games is amazing by itself.

Fallout 4 which is quite heavy on CPU and used to get the fans spinning high (and noisy) is below 49c now with the 4.5ghz overclock.

Ravens Nest

Forgot to mention this is on air using a thermaltake contac 21 heatsink with has two 120mm fans, and there are 2 inlet fans on the front of the case one outlet at the back and one outlet on top all 120mm inside a Corsair spec01 case..

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
    Around about £53, even if the overclocking wasn't successful getting the temperature down from roughly 70c to 50c in most games is amazing by itself.
    I'd definitely say knocking about 30% from your temps is a success - if your chip isn't a good clocker then it just isn't, no big deal.

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by virtuo View Post
    I'd definitely say knocking about 30% from your temps is a success - if your chip isn't a good clocker then it just isn't, no big deal.
    It seems stable now, couldn't get the CPU voltage below 1.3 without instability, i was able to drop the DDR4 Voltage to 1.3 from 1.35 so that helps with temps a little.

Was shocked how easy it was to be honest, obviously i could have messed it up but i researched and researched before attempting and actually the clear nail varnish on the gold contacts was a last minute thought.

it hasn't been relidded by the way but most people say you do not need to unless your selling it lol..

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Very interesting to read about.

I'd still never risk trying it myself though if I had a CPU that would benefit from it.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Thanks for sharing how you did it - it might be worth stickying it??

Fallout 4 which is quite heavy on CPU and used to get the fans spinning high (and noisy) is below 49c now with the 4.5ghz overclock.
    BTW,a quick tip for improving FO4 performance - make sure you have it running off a suitably fast SSD. Its also very I/O bound too.

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    Very interesting to read about.

I'd still never risk trying it myself though if I had a CPU that would benefit from it.
    Thanks i hope i made it easy to read and follow, if anyone wants to attempt it themselves.

Made me on edge when i attempted it as i do not have a lot of spare money and could only afford the parts i needed from birthday money i had received so if i had failed then a new i5 or i7 skylake would have been an expensive and financially painful fail for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Thanks for sharing how you did it - it might be worth stickying it??

BTW,a quick tip for improving FO4 performance - make sure you have it running off a suitably fast SSD. Its also very I/O bound too.
    I do not mind you stickying it as i put the post on here to help anyone if they had ever had thoughts of delidding, That is a good tip about FO4 i have it on the SSD already and Witcher 3 benefits from that as well.

I just need to find a way to attach photos now.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Glad you got the results you wanted man

12. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I do not mind you stickying it as i put the post on here to help anyone if they had ever had thoughts of delidding, That is a good tip about FO4 i have it on the SSD already and Witcher 3 benefits from that as well.

I just need to find a way to attach photos now.
    Some pictures would be useful too! Yeah,but interestingly enough if you do notice more recent jumpiness in performance its down to the spectre/meltdown patches which can be temporarily deactivated AFAIK(but means you should avoid using the internet).

Ravens Nest

I have just added photos (Sorry there quite blurry)

15. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (18-04-2018)

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

It's really odd that on a £190 processor, Intel won't spend a couple of extra pence on a proper solder thermal compound under the IHS. Why would they deliberately shackle the performance of the product, especially now that AMD are actually competing with them again?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    It's really odd that on a £190 processor, Intel won't spend a couple of extra pence on a proper solder thermal compound under the IHS. Why would they deliberately shackle the performance of the product, especially now that AMD are actually competing with them again?
    Apparently its for environmental reasons IIRC.

Thanks
    • Firejack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus PRIME X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • TG Dark Pro "8pack Edition"
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 250GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD, Samsung 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire RX VEGA 56 8GB Pulse
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic Focus Plus 650 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2719DGF
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

Up until Ryzen the main reason as I saw it was Intel didn't want to go into competition with itself. For example nobody would buy a more expensive i7-6700 if you could easily overclock an i5-6600k to similar or better performance.

You'd hope Intel will now change its ways to compete with AMD. Really doesn't matter if they lose sales on their more expensive premium models if they can at least snatch some sales back from AMD by sell more Intel CPU's lower down the stack by soldering on the IHS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Apparently its for environmental reasons IIRC.
    That along with a few other reasons, sourcing material from conflict free countries, mechanical strain from thermal cycling, wasn't, and probably still isn't, a need to push for higher clock speeds, and easier/quicker to assemble the final package to name a few. That's not to say price doesn't come into it just that it probably features pretty low on the list of reasons why.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information