Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4K monitors going cheap - what's the catch?

Registered+
    Thanks

4K monitors going cheap - what's the catch?

OK, I'm about to switch to a high res display in few months time and have been researching for some time. Last time I was looking there were 27 inch 2560x1440 for around 400-500 and now I see 28 inch 4K monitors for the same price. I know prices go down but this seems to be too good to be true so what's the catch?

Also I was thinking 2560x1440 could result in some very tiny icons and stuff so 4K could go even further. How do you overcome this?

Spreadie

Re: 4K monitors going cheap - what's the catch?

The cheap 4K monitors use TN panels, and the 1440p 27" monitors in that price range are IPS.

TN doesn't automatically make them bad, of course, but they are cheaper to manufacture.

See Jim's thread: clicky

3. Received thanks from:

explorer (13-07-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the clicky - I'm on it now.
    Well, I've been using TN for some time so I guess i can live with it.
    What about the tiny icons and letters - how do you cope with that?
    Also are there any games that will play that resolution /Starcraft 2/?

Spreadie

You can resize icons/windows elements.

Don't know enough about 4K and old games to answer intelligently, but many games will scale, and some can be made to with simple config tweaks.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have tried this resizing in the past /Windows Vista 64 fully updated/ and ditched it up every time because there were always some programs showing funny/incomlete menues, etc. I don't know whether it was me not doing it properly or if it just the way it is?
    Anyone else had this problems and is there a way to correct it?

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

If you are planning on gaming at 4k then I would look at the power of your GPU, you need to make sure it is capable of driving a 4k display, plus it would need a 4k ready output such as a Display Port option otherwise you wouldn't be able to get your PC running at the highest resolution.

8. Received thanks from:

explorer (13-07-2014)

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

I've not yet come across a game that won't run at 4K. Years ago when I had a 2048*1152 monitor, games would scale to that as well - they tend to be fairly dynamic.

Tiny icons and letters is a bit of a conundrum. Simply put, you have two options:

1) Embrace it. Yes, it's small, but I can still read it just fine. 1080p on 22" looks like Fisher Price monitor to me now, by comparison, because everything is huge. This means that you get bucketloads of usable space - because it's effectively four 1080p panels. I can put two entire webpages side by side and read them top to bottom, which is great.

2) Use DPI scaling. This means that UI elements are enlarged to whatever size you like, but they're smoother because there are more pixels available. Windows 8.1 by default adjusted the DPI scaling so that the icon sizes etc were the same on my 1080p and my 4K monitors, so it's easy to do. However, there are two downsides: firstly, DPI scaling doesn't work in a lot of software, so it just screws up the GUI (you'll see a lot of complaints about this on the web). Secondly, I don't see the point in buying a 4K monitor if you then blow up all the text to be the same as it would look on a 27" 2560*1440 monitor. I bought this monitor because it would fit mountains of text on one screen.

10. Received thanks from:

explorer (13-07-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    If you are planning on gaming at 4k then I would look at the power of your GPU, you need to make sure it is capable of driving a 4k display, plus it would need a 4k ready output such as a Display Port option otherwise you wouldn't be able to get your PC running at the highest resolution.
    I never thought of a 4K monitors until the prices matched the prices of 2560x1440 in what seems to be a very short period of time so I thought why not go 4K. Also I have not made my mind with regard to the video card /I am thinking nvidia 760-770 range/ but I am about to buy a new one and will have this in mind when the time comes will check the maximum resolution of the card and output connections and will buy the necessary cables if they are not supplied with monitor.

P.S. When I think of it now 760 might not be able to cope so I might need to add a second one later on which raises the SLI requirement for the motherboard. I might need to leave 2560x1440 into consideration. The more I think the more unsolvable it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I've not yet come across a game that won't run at 4K. Years ago when I had a 2048*1152 monitor, games would scale to that as well - they tend to be fairly dynamic.

Tiny icons and letters is a bit of a conundrum. Simply put, you have two options:

1) Embrace it. Yes, it's small, but I can still read it just fine. 1080p on 22" looks like Fisher Price monitor to me now, by comparison, because everything is huge. This means that you get bucketloads of usable space - because it's effectively four 1080p panels. I can put two entire webpages side by side and read them top to bottom, which is great.

2) Use DPI scaling. This means that UI elements are enlarged to whatever size you like, but they're smoother because there are more pixels available. Windows 8.1 by default adjusted the DPI scaling so that the icon sizes etc were the same on my 1080p and my 4K monitors, so it's easy to do. However, there are two downsides: firstly, DPI scaling doesn't work in a lot of software, so it just screws up the GUI (you'll see a lot of complaints about this on the web). Secondly, I don't see the point in buying a 4K monitor if you then blow up all the text to be the same as it would look on a 27" 2560*1440 monitor. I bought this monitor because it would fit mountains of text on one screen.
    Well, I am trying to do the impossible, i.e. to build a computer for everything and do it in a certain budget.
    I can not live with small letters as I get tired very fast so I'll have to scale it to 150% probably. I see the benefit of fitting a lot of things in one monitor but it just doesn't work that well for me in some scenarios. On the other hand 4K in Starcraft will be an eye candy I assume and that's what attracted me in that resolution. After all higher is supposed to be better /more detailed and so on/?
    Last edited by explorer; 13-07-2014 at 11:51 AM.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Yeah, it is much more detailed. But as you say, you need to have the right graphics card. My GTX 760 has dealt with everything I've thrown at it thus far though.

13. Received thanks from:

explorer (13-07-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Yeah, it is much more detailed. But as you say, you need to have the right graphics card. My GTX 760 has dealt with everything I've thrown at it thus far though.
    I'll assume that this includes 4K /as in your thread you have expressed your opinion on a 28 inch monitor/ so I guess I'll just have to see for myself.

Thanks

Lots of 4k monitors seem to have a little small print thing. They might say "60Hz", but check carefully - that is likely to be only 60Hz when using lower resolutions, but cuts to just 30Hz for 4k gaming.

You can get much better speed from WQHD models now, such as ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q: a 27" 1440p monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate and G-Sync. The price tag might put you off, but look around. [edit] Sorry, I just added a link to what appeared to be three used PQ278Qs at £400, but they're actually a very similar model number - not the same! I have seen ex-demo ones for £400 though, so keep an eye on that. As tempting as 4K might be, this is the monitor I would buy right now.

I haven't needed to change icon sizes on my 1440p monitor, having made the switch from 1080p last week. I love the extra screen space though, and I can finally read digital magazines without having to zoom in or drag the view around at all. My GTX770 OC 4GB is coping fine with High/Very High settings on games at 1440p so far, but I wouldn't fancy its chances with 4K. That's another consideration in the 144Hz ASUS monitor's favour; if you've got one (or more) absolutely top of the line GPUs that you'll need for 4K gaming, why not stick with 1440p and get a high framerate and better effects?
    Last edited by Otherhand; 13-07-2014 at 01:18 PM.

16. Received thanks from:

explorer (13-07-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Otherhand View Post
    Lots of 4k monitors seem to have a little small print thing. They might say "60Hz", but check carefully - that is likely to be only 60Hz when using lower resolutions, but cuts to just 30Hz for 4k gaming.

You can get much better speed from WQHD models now, such as ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q: a 27" 1440p monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate and G-Sync. The price tag might put you off, but look around. [edit] Sorry, I just added a link to what appeared to be three used PQ278Qs at £400, but they're actually a very similar model number - not the same! I have seen ex-demo ones for £400 though, so keep an eye on that. As tempting as 4K might be, this is the monitor I would buy right now.

I haven't needed to change icon sizes on my 1440p monitor, having made the switch from 1080p last week. I love the extra screen space though, and I can finally read digital magazines without having to zoom in or drag the view around at all. My GTX770 OC 4GB is coping fine with High/Very High settings on games at 1440p so far, but I wouldn't fancy its chances with 4K. That's another consideration in the 144Hz ASUS monitor's favour; if you've got one (or more) absolutely top of the line GPUs that you'll need for 4K gaming, why not stick with 1440p and get a high framerate and better effects?
    Well that is confusing.

AOC does state minimum frequence of 50Hz in the specs:
    http://www.aocmonitorap.com/root/hk_...lay.php?id=556

Asus state 60Hz:
    http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/PB287Q/

Both state 10 bit which is tempting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by explorer View Post
    Well that is confusing.

AOC does state minimum frequence of 50Hz in the specs:
    http://www.aocmonitorap.com/root/hk_...lay.php?id=556

Asus state 60Hz:
    http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/PB287Q/
    The ASUS one - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-pb287q-review

"The brand new PB287Q is a 28-inch display capable of handling full-fat 60Hz 4K signals via a DisplayPort 1.2 connection, also featuring dual HDMI ports (limited to 30Hz in 4K, but full 60Hz at 1080p)"

So that one's okay, as long as you use DisplayPort. I guess any graphics card you'd consider pairing with a 4K monitor ought to have that connection anyway!

But Dell gets a lot of love on these forums, and deservedly so, but their 28-inch 4K P2815Q is simply 30Hz at 4K no matter what:

"By far the Dell’s biggest limitation, however, is that it only supports a 30Hz input via DisplayPort or HDMI.

Read more: Dell P2815Q review | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/monitors/389176/dell-p2815q#ixzz37LpQeTGk"

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

I have seen ex-demo ones for £400 though, so keep an eye on that.
    I'm confused, are you saying you have seen ex-demo PG278Q monitors as ex-demo units? As far as I'm aware these haven't actually launched yet and there are a very limited number of units in the channel, those that are available are being sent around to various reviewers and most stockists aren't expecting stock to come in until the end of the month, which knowing Asus will probably end up being later than that, bearing in mind that the original launch date was supposed to be around April/May.

Registered+
    Thanks

The ASUS one - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-pb287q-review

"The brand new PB287Q is a 28-inch display capable of handling full-fat 60Hz 4K signals via a DisplayPort 1.2 connection, also featuring dual HDMI ports (limited to 30Hz in 4K, but full 60Hz at 1080p)"

So that one's okay, as long as you use DisplayPort. I guess any graphics card you'd consider pairing with a 4K monitor ought to have that connection anyway!

But Dell gets a lot of love on these forums, and deservedly so, but their 28-inch 4K P2815Q is simply 30Hz at 4K no matter what:

"By far the Dell’s biggest limitation, however, is that it only supports a 30Hz input via DisplayPort or HDMI.

Read more: Dell P2815Q review | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/monitors/389176/dell-p2815q#ixzz37LpQeTGk"
    Well that means it will get Display Port then even if I have to buy it separately. Nvidia 760 has it /as per nvidia site-
    One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One HDMI, One DisplayPort/:
    http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/de...specifications

I will also check the branded actual card before purchase when I reach that point.

Also I haven't yet thrown 2560x1440 out of the equation I am considering all the options /but 4K is just so tempting/.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    I'm confused, are you saying you have seen ex-demo PG278Q monitors as ex-demo units? As far as I'm aware these haven't actually launched yet and there are a very limited number of units in the channel, those that are available are being sent around to various reviewers and most stockists aren't expecting stock to come in until the end of the month, which knowing Asus will probably end up being later than that, bearing in mind that the original launch date was supposed to be around April/May.
    Ah, I'm mixed up then. There was definitely a very high refresh rate monitor that I nearly bought but missed my moment with an original price and at least some specs similar to this one, so I thought it was the same one. Apparently not!

What's happened here is that I spent about a week chasing Google searches, eBay, Amazon, and all the tech shop sites searching for any kind of bargain. So I went from not even looking at these things because I wasn't in the market for one, to having to cram details of hundreds of different models into my head at once.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information