• Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Kalniel's first impressions: The Witcher

The Witcher starts with a very impressive and lengthy CGI introduction - up to Blizzard standards. But importantly it’s not merely eye candy - it sets the scene for some of the things that make The Witcher such a unique game. Atmosphere, action, style, moral greyness, consequences and even a touch of humour are all present and so far it looks like they remain so throughout the rest of the game.

You play Geralt of Rivia, one of a number of people called ‘Witchers’. Witchers are legendary monster slayers, but their unique powers, and perhaps some of their inadequacies, cause them to be feared by even their own people. This sense of isolation and distrust is very well portrayed through the many interactions in the game, and understanding facets such as this are quite important in justifying events that happen or have the possibility of happening with Geralt.

But first, some lighter things. Graphically The Witcher looks like a cross between NWN 2 and Gothic 3. The artwork and quality of textures is amazing - excellent lighting adds to the atmosphere, and high quality character models enhance things further. While the engine may not be as technically capable as NWN 2, it looks better, more of the time. There’s very good use of shaders too - the drunk effect is very good Also of particular note are the character animations, which depict fantastically fluid and realistic motions for a wide variety of situations. The world is large and wide open/continuous after the prologue.

The graphical splendour does not come at a cost to performance either - the game runs very smoothly at maximum settings, including AA and AF, displaying on 1680x1050 on my system. Early reports suggest even lower spec systems are running this game just fine as well.

Sound is equally capable - the musical score is far superior to most other RPGs (with the possible exception of Gothic 3), and is presented with a high fidelity. Sound effects are likewise of very high quality. The voice acting may have been a cause of concern, with both translations and quality of actors in doubt… but these can be laid to rest - it’s of a much better quality again than most other RPGs and while some fragments may be a little be awkward they don’t affect enjoyment in the slightest so far.

You can control Geralt in a number of ways - a high isometric view, a low isometric view, and an over the shoulder (OTS) view. The OTS view seems to have the best framerate of the lot for me, which is interesting as it’s also the view which allows you to see the most of the game world. Movement in this mode is made with the WASD keys and mouselook. At the moment I’m usually using the low isometric view, which is a slightly zoomed out third person perspective, allowing either WASD or mouse clicks for movement.

Combat in The Witcher is pretty unique. Each click of the mouse on an opponent causes Geralt to swing, however he then takes some time to finish the swing - clicking again before he’s finished interrupts the swing, while clicking just at the end of it causes him to chain together swings in a combo. There are lots of indicators as to the right moment to click, and in practise it works really well. Combat is involving, very satisfying, yet not a click fest. There are also different styles which can switched between at any time - strong attacks, fast attacks and group attacks. So you might be set upon by a group of bad guys; start of in the group mode which damages several people at once but for less damage, then when only one is left switch to another mode depending on whether your opponent is light and nimble or heavy and slow.

Different skills can be unlocked as you level to allow you to add more combos or chances to knockdown or stun an opponent etc. Clicking on a stunned opponent allows Geralt to perform more deadly attacks and sometimes ‘finishing moves’. You get all the fun of more dedicated fighting games, but without any annoying co-ordination demands. It’s hard to say more other than ‘it really works!’

One thing that has been missing from RPGs of late, especially from Europe, is a general level of polish and balance. The Witcher quashes such concerns - overall polish is fantastic, the balance also appears spot on. I have had one crash to desktop so far, but already there is a patch due on day of official release which should improve things. The only area I think could use a little more work is the save system, which while being your standard PC affair of unlimited user saves, plus quicksave and autosaves, has currently no means of naming save games, and they are dated by real world date and time. This means it’s almost impossible to keep track of things if you’re running parallel games.

Now a little about the story/setting. The game has a much lower fantasy setting than your average American RPG - the medieval world is very well represented, warts and all. A lot of different social situations can be encountered, from poverty to racism. Combine this with Geralt’s own background/situation and you might be a bit surprised by some of the options you are presented with - or are not presented with at all. Players expecting saccharin sweet romances or the ability to project cushy developed-world morality into their choices might be very disappointed. Some of the decisions are hard too - much has been talked about the choices you get to make, and in many situations there is no ‘right’ answer. There will be consequences whichever way you choose. This means you have to stop using decisions to try and ‘win’ and just make them based on the situation as it presents itself. That may look a bit daunting on paper, but you are always well informed as the characterisation and voice acting clearly portrays emotion, allowing you to asses somewhat possible demeanours and motivations. These, together with race, location, background and exact circumstances help give you things to make an informed choice based on how you are playing Geralt. I’ve yet to see many consequences as a result of big decisions, more play time is needed to see how much effect they have on the game world.

It’s not all dark stuff though - there are plenty of moments of humour which caused me to snigger. There are also mini-games such as a version of Yahtzee, pub brawling and drinking competitions.

So far I’m really enjoying this game and finding it hard to put down once I start a session. It ticks several boxes from enjoyment of action to great story telling, characterisation and a fantastic world setting.

Last edited by kalniel; 01-11-2007 at 09:17 PM.

2. Received thanks from:

!nfil (06-11-2007),acrobat (29-10-2007),Barrichello (25-10-2007),Blademrk (29-10-2007),Dakaras (01-11-2007),dangel (25-10-2007),DevilMayCry42 (27-10-2007),digit (14-11-2007),Dooms (31-10-2007),Mithrandir (25-10-2007),pauldarkside (02-11-2007),pollaxe (25-10-2007),Steven W (25-10-2007),TiG (25-10-2007)

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks

Re: Kalniel's first impressions: The Witcher

Well sold

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks

Great review id only heard of this a few days ago but i will deffo get it now. This or the orange box tho tuff one. Either way it sounds right up my street

Permanently confused

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB

Sounds really good - think i will have to check this out. Thanks for the review.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TiG View Post
    Well sold
    qft
    - Cantankerous -
    - GSV - MarlinsUK - TNGC -

Thanks
    • Mithrandir's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45-HP
      • CPU:
      • C2D e4600 (w/ Xigmatek Red Scorpion)
      • Memory:
      • OCZ ReaperX (2x2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition
      • PSU:
      • Xigmatek NRP-MC651
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cavalier 3 silver (windowed)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens SCALEOVIEW D22W-1

Been following this game in video games mags over the past year or so and it does look splendid back then. Hopefully, it'll live up to the expectations.
    Cavalier-X: Biostar TP45-HP ¦ E4600@3.1ghz - Xigmatek Red Scorpion (OCZ Freeze) ¦ OCZ ReaperX 2x2gb (792mhz @ 4-4-4--12) ¦ Xigmatek NRP-MC651 ¦
    Palit 8800gt ¦ X-fi Fatal1ty Gamer ¦ Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (Silver/Windowed) ¦

Poseidon Magma: MSI P45 Zilent ¦ E6300@3.0ghz - Coolermaster Hyper 212 (MX-2) ¦ Corsair 2x2gb (880mhz @ 5-5-5-15) ¦ Corsair HX450w ¦
    xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition (780/1950/1000) ¦ X-fi Gamer ¦ Gigabyte Poseiden ¦

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Added a few very quickly taken screenshots

Thanks
    • Mithrandir's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45-HP
      • CPU:
      • C2D e4600 (w/ Xigmatek Red Scorpion)
      • Memory:
      • OCZ ReaperX (2x2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition
      • PSU:
      • Xigmatek NRP-MC651
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cavalier 3 silver (windowed)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens SCALEOVIEW D22W-1

Nice screenshots. This looks like Oblivion for 2007
    Cavalier-X: Biostar TP45-HP ¦ E4600@3.1ghz - Xigmatek Red Scorpion (OCZ Freeze) ¦ OCZ ReaperX 2x2gb (792mhz @ 4-4-4--12) ¦ Xigmatek NRP-MC651 ¦
    Palit 8800gt ¦ X-fi Fatal1ty Gamer ¦ Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (Silver/Windowed) ¦

Poseidon Magma: MSI P45 Zilent ¦ E6300@3.0ghz - Coolermaster Hyper 212 (MX-2) ¦ Corsair 2x2gb (880mhz @ 5-5-5-15) ¦ Corsair HX450w ¦
    xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition (780/1950/1000) ¦ X-fi Gamer ¦ Gigabyte Poseiden ¦

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

Thanks for the review!

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Updated impressions

Thought it might be useful to update people on how I'm finding it now I'm further into the game.

In general, the game has only been getting better and better. We bought another copy so the GF can play and neither of us has been able to stop playing practically every spare minute of free time that we have.

Performance with a different computer spec.
    So first of all a note about performance on a different computer. Hers is a Core 2 Duo 6300, 2gb RAM, Leadtek 6800GT 256mb system, running at 1280x1024. It is capable of running the game at maximum settings, but it slows down occasionally, so she dropped to medium and it's completely smooth again. Medium settings still look stunning - the only difference of note is hard edged rather than soft shadows. The view distance is also reduced a little, however the fog effect at the edge is so good that I'm considering dropping mine to medium as well as it seems to add to the atmosphere.

Whether a consequence of the TWIMTBP program from nVidia, or the lowered settings, her cutscenes look better than on my computer as well. Mine have a dept of field post-processing effect which sometimes can look a bit blocky (the developers have already stated they are looking into this blockiness effect). Hers, on the other hand, are crystal clear, and look almost as good as if they had been pre-rendered. I'm confident her system could actually handle higher custom settings (ie max, with AA and/or AF disabled, maybe drop shadows to hard) but she's so happy with the preset she's keeping it there!

Sound on her Realtek ALC-888 HD chip is of comparable quality to my Audigy 2ZS.

Opinion changes
    So have I discovered anything that lessens my opinion as I play? The loading times when exiting buildings are certainly very noticeable. They're not yet affecting my enjoyment, but it's something that could be improved. Part of the problem is that the game auto-saves on a loading transition every time your quest/journal status changes. Again the developers have said they are looking into making auto-saves optional in the next patch.

The game world isn't quite as wide open as I initially thought, but each act takes place in quite a large region. Boundaries seem to be quite appropriate and are traversed by forwarding the plot. I feared this would lead to a sense of having to finish up everything before moving on, but actually a surprising number of characters and quests move forward with you. Quests themselves are beginning to feel a bit more polar and it's becoming very apparent that your choices carry a lot of weight. You will be shutting yourself off from things by the choices you make, but you just have to accept that and make a mental note to try it differently on your next play through.

More details
    Some of the details in the game are becoming more apparent over time as well - when it rains the NPCs run for shelter and stand there cursing the weather. At other times they'll be engaged in pretty convincing schedules and their passing comments and conversations with each other are amusing. On the downside there are a limited number of NPC models and you do see the same models time and time again, even for some of the named characters.

I didn't mention the journal very much before, but it's another example of polish and attention to detail. Rather than just recording quests, it acts as an encyclopaedia of all the knowledge you learn through the game - from knowledge about the characters you've met, to locations, monsters, ingredients, potion formulae and more. It's not just great for lore buffs - knowledge you pick up can help indicate specific weaknesses and tactics for foes for example. Quests themselves are organised by quest series name, within which the current phase can be described. There is the option to track a particular quest on the map if you wish - this highlights a location on the map and puts a direction indicator on the mini-map. It's helpful, but not overly hand-holding.

Alchemy is another fun aspect of the game. You can create potions for drinking, oils to apply to weapons, and bombs to throw into combat. Ingredients can be purchased at various merchants, or if you have the right skills, harvested from plants or monster remains. To harvest from plants and animals you need to have some knowledge about that plant/animal, and this can be obtained from either speaking to people or reading books. Potions (and similarly oils/bombs) are then made by mixing various ingredients together with a base material such as strong alcohol. You are actually extracting key active components from the ingredients - so different combinations of ingredients are possible for the same effect, and these effects can be boosted/altered by secondary effects. It sounds quite complicated, but the game does the hard work for you - known potion formulae are only highlighted if you have the requisite ingredients, and when you pick a formula the game will try and select those ingredients that are the most favourable. You can then mix the potion as is, or swap out ingredients for ones of your own choosing. While you can learn formulae from NPCs and books, you can experiment to make up your own potions.

Drinking potions isn’t that straight-forward either. Each potion is in fact toxic, of varying intensities dependant on the type of potion. Geralt can stand a certain amount of toxicity, but it builds up and you start to suffer negative effects if you do not allow it to clear or purge your system with an antidote. Many potions have very long lasting effects, and the toxicity is a great game tool to keep them in balance.

Combat is even more fun than ever - the moves Geralt can pull off are getting ever more lavish as I put skills into them. I honestly laughed out loud in one fight when I pulled off a group combo - Geralt dummied, making them draw closer, before springing up with a two-handed roundhouse type movement; the result: six heads suddenly flying off in various directions. Some of the fights are getting tough now as well, requiring use of potions or oils to get through without a lot of hassle. It’s also a bit more tactical due to some of the effects. ‘Pain’ for instance is a debilitating effect that distracts Geralt and prevents you from attacking - a counter: there’s a skill which makes Geralt immune to the effects of pain.. only while he’s drunk though! Double clicking or double tapping the movement keys causes Geralt to roll or dodge, and sometimes this is useful to get a better angle or to get out of trouble.

Ladies
    Okay, why haven’t I mentioned the ladies yet? Well, while they might cause a ruckus in some more conservative countries, I think it’s really not anything to be all that excited about either way. Geralt, being the charming, rugged, handsome chap he is (GF agrees), does on occasion find that ladies wish to express their gratitude or affections in a particularly amorous manner. The fact he’s infertile and immune to disease doesn’t hurt either. If you allow Geralt, said amorous scenes play out with suggestive, and at times very humorous, cutscenes which might show for example the space beneath a bed with items tumbling to the floor either side. The game then displays an artist ‘card’ representation of the lady Geralt has just bedded. There is no nudity in the cutscenes, while the cards are 2d, static, pictures that look like fantasy artworks, some of which do contain nudity (in the UK version).

There’s nothing explicit or titillating about anything - certainly it is far milder than anything you’d see in a film. Instead the situations just seem like part of the world setting, while providing a few moments of comedy along the way.

Extras
    To finish up, some notes on extras. Firstly the Collectors Edition that we ordered - you get a double sided poster/map, a soundtrack CD, a making of DVD and a 204 page artbook. The DVD isn’t anything to write home about, the soundtrack is quite cool for atmospheric stuff, but the other two items are good. The map is large and fairly detailed - one side contains the same map as you see in game, the other sets this area into the context of the wider world setting that The Witcher takes place in, thus great for lore buffs. The artbook is even better - it’s simply stunning. It’s A4 sized, and very high quality printing, containing notes and lots of artwork from various stages of the game. In my opinion it makes even the exorbitant price for the CE (only available from Game) good value.

Secondly game owners can register to get extras from The Witcher website. At the moment there’s not a lot there - some videos, mp3 etc. However an exciting future section is the ‘game extensions’ which promises to add things into the game to increase your enjoyment - they are also taking suggestions from players as to what they’d like to see. A game editor is also in development which should provide the ability for players to modify the game and create extra content, extending longevity.

Conclusion
    So in conclusion, I’ve still got a long way to go with this game, but while some of the flaws are becoming exposed, they’re very minor, and in all other respects the game is just getting better.
    Last edited by kalniel; 31-10-2007 at 06:21 PM.

12. Received thanks from:

DevilMayCry42 (01-11-2007),Dooms (31-10-2007),Mithrandir (31-10-2007),Steven W (01-11-2007)

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

for me this game and just poped out of no-where but does sound good and very nice review, thank you for spending the time on it.

I may have to pick it up and I need something to kill 22 days till Mass Effect is out

Thanks

so many games so little time

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Just some more screenies

Thanks

Looks like quite good graphics!

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Yup. Not quite Oblivion standard, but nice in a different way.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

some of those graphics are amazing

I cant wait for this game! I'll get it next week probably. I'm going to be poor after buying all these new games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information