• Operating System:
      • Windows 7 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW
      • Internet:
      • UPC cable 200MB/s

Re: What's your favourite game of all time

Final fantasy, all of them but especialy 12 , master of orion 2/3
    Battle goddess Verita(Jap.) and Kamidori Alchemy meister(english) (J.hentai with awesome RPG game play lolz)

Registered+
    Thanks

hmm i started really paying good games on the ps2
    GTA san andreas - had the best of everything
    tekken - them times when you get your friends over, not like now
    and yakuza on ps3- strangely enjoyed it aster i figured it out

Thanks

Shining force 2. My first RPG. Amazing classic.

Thanks
    • walibe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67B Pro
      • CPU:
      • iMac 2017
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig Corsair Vegence
      • Storage:
      • 10 T.B Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvida GTX 755M
      • Operating System:
      • Mavericks / Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Of all time you say.... Hmmm... Street Fighter 2 Turbo probably. Other candidates - The Settlers, Theme Park (original), Canon Fodder and Skidmarks.

Last edited by walibe; 18-04-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Haven't added anything to this at all over the last few month but with getting a few new machines since Christmas and playing around with them quite a bit going to add to it.

Last Ninja 2 on Atari ST, reason I like this version over the Amiga is that it has the soundtrack, souped up 16 Bit version of the C64 tunes. Plays just as well as its 8 Bit counterparts. Amiga version has no music at all and just doesn't feel right.

Knights of the Sky also on Atari ST (Also available on Amiga & DOS), closest thing to Wings on the Amiga. Highly playable and you don't need half the keyboard to control your plane. Very addictive with some great missions from WW1

Wings on Amiga, absolute Cinemaware classic, great storytelling, nice mission interludes, great music. All round superb game start to finish and well worth checking out.

Their Finest Hour on Atari ST (also available on Amiga & DOS), this time WW2 Spitfire sim, once again doesn't need half the keyboard to play, more of a point and shoot mechanic like previously mentioned games.

The Goonies on C64 is an absolute fantastic game, back in the day I had no idea what to do on it. Now all grown up and after watching a few Youtube vids on it so know what I am doing its a very addictive, challenging and fun game. This also has a REALLY fast multi load system, few seconds for each level on tape is not to be sniffed at!

Auf Wiedersehen Monty on Amstrad CPC, love these games on all formats regardless. C64 version looks like the Spectrum version but with no color clash with monochrome sprites etc. Amstrad version however has a great tune similar to the C64 version but they went all out and Monty is multicolored, same goes for the environments and enemy sprites. One thing I did appreciate on this game is that you don't have to select a few items at the start of the game like Monty on the Run, if you selected a wrong combination you would get stuck and have to start again.

Turrican on Amiga & C64, great sound, highly playable, looks amazing. Turrican is one of the most iconic games of the late 80's and early 90's. Shame the Atari ST version is a bit lacking, scrolling isn't as smooth as it could be and the music just doesn't sound right, I do wish that the capabilities of the STe machines were used in more games.

Interphase on Amiga & Atari ST (also available DOS), first person flight / shooter type thing. This game did use the extra features of the STe so is equally as good as the Amiga. Its a bit hard to explain this game as it is also a puzzle type game. You have to break into a building and get to the top floor to steal documents, you are flying in cyberspace through the buildings systems, you also have someone in the real world who has to get to the lift on each level. You have to work out the route via the buildings blueprints, find locked doors in cyberspace and open them, disable cameras and the likes so the person in the real world can get from point a - b. Later in the game you really have to think about what you are doing, purposely activating cameras to attract the guards so the person in the real world can slip past them while they do their round and things like that. Its an amazing game and well worth checking out.

After typing all this I've decided I'm going to do a proper retro thread with everything I have over the weekend, going to start getting photos of all my stuff, not just a C64 & Megadrive anymore!!

Thanks
    • walibe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67B Pro
      • CPU:
      • iMac 2017
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig Corsair Vegence
      • Storage:
      • 10 T.B Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvida GTX 755M
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

I forgot about Interphase! That game blew me away and yes Turrican - that was brilliant. Was also trying to think back a little. How about Roland on the Ropes (cpc 464) and the dizzy series plus I remember Cisco heat fondly and how could I forget the much later UFO Enemy Unknown!

Reminds that despite all the technology we have now, very few games offer as good gaming experiences although games like system shock, half life and theif were superb.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

I have 2 Roland games on my Amstrad, Roland in the Caves and On The Ropes. Caves is ok, bit hard to control though Roland on the Ropes though is awesome, it did get converted to C64 & Spectrum and was called Fred on those machines.

Roland got his name from the Amstrad codename before the CPC was launched and named as such which was Arnold so its an anagram of that

The Dizzy games are great, first one was extremely hard with only having one life, they did start out on the Spectrum but got ported to other 8 Bits, 16 Bit ST & Amiga and also he did get an outing on the Megadrive believe it or not. I personally prefer the Amstrad version when it comes to 8 Bit, use of color on that machine is awesome, I always found the C64 color palette was a bit dull (that is coming from a dedicated C64 fanatic from the early 80's), Amstrad on the other hand is always nice and vibrant. Another thing I like about the Amstrad version is that Dizzy does actually have the red boxing gloves on, character looks better which is the same with the Monty game I mentioned.

Hats off though to Ocean with quite a lot of their film tie ins, Batman the Movie, Robocop Trilogy, The Untouchables to name a few highlights and not forgetting Batman : The Caped Crusader which is based on the comics and each screen is drawn like a comic book frame. Those games mentioned there are awesome in their own right and very memorable for me, I have been buying them on tape for Spectrum & Amstrad so I have them on all 3 8 Bit computers I own.

9. Received thanks from:

walibe (18-04-2014)

Thanks
    • walibe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67B Pro
      • CPU:
      • iMac 2017
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig Corsair Vegence
      • Storage:
      • 10 T.B Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvida GTX 755M
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

My 464 had a green scale screen so never saw the colour which is a shame. I then went the Amiga route for 10 years and only collect Amiga stuff now as moving around a lot means I can't keep too big a collection.

Have you looked at that fpga arcade? There's a Atari and Amiga core for it amongst others.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

I hadn't even heard of fpga arcade.

You can buy Mini Migs and even brand new Amiga 1200 systems from AmigaKit, however I am going to trade my 600 in for a 1200 I've decided somepoint later in the year, the 1200 also has the PCMCIA slot on the side so I can still use EasyADF with the PCMCIA Compact Flash Adapter for writing the emulator disk images back onto a floppy. Then for older games that won't run on Kick 2.0 or above use Relokick to soft downgrade the Kickstart to 1.3.

Another great thing about the Amiga 1200 is that it has the AGA chipset which was far superior to the graphics on PC's back in the day, you can also switch between ECS & AGA chipsets if you have something that won't go on AGA.

I have been watching the Armiga Project. Think if I was going to get something modern that is an Amiga hybrid it would be this :

http://www.armigaproject.com/

Going back to the Amstrad I only got mine a month ago and it has a color screen and also an MP3 TV Analogue tuner came with it, I had to do a mod on it for power though as it was designed to be used by the 644 color screens and mine is a 640. Difference here is the 644 has an extra 12 Volt output on the front of it that the MP3 power connects into. It was easy enough to modify thankfully, I found an old router plug with the circular 12 Volt and on it, clipped the end off and soldered it to the connector inside the MP3 and now it can take mains for power.

Granted now you can't get any TV on it with Analogue getting turned off. It does have another use though, I can hook up any of my machines that have RF output and tune it into them, already had my 520 STe and SNES running on the Amstrad Monitor and its just like the old CRT screens, was quite pleased with myself!

I have also upgraded my STe to 4 Mb ram and have the UltraSatan Disk, this is an external hard drive solution that accepts SD cards with your games on them. I did have to buy a specific driver for it which was only a tenner. Then the trouble I had was getting Windows to see all the partitions on the SD card as the STe only sees up to 512Mb on TOS 1.62.

I have had to create a virtual XP 32 Bit machine and hack the USB card reader I have driver, now XP thinks it is an external hard drive instead of a flash card. Only took 20 minutes or so to setup the virtual machine and then around an hour to transfer across all the hard drive adapted games. I also stuck JayMSA on there and apparently you can write the emulator images back onto proper disks, haven't worked out how to do it yet though.

Anyhow, back to the games!!

System 3 had to be my favorite developer for the C64, Myth and Tusker are still awesome games to this day. Myth is one of my all time favorites, starting in Hades after escaping you go through Isle of sirens onto Medusa then take out the 3 headed hydra with the bolts from Medusas eyes, next set of levels were Norse Mythology, then Egyptian before the final battle. Only downside is the controls on Myth are a bit weird, they are ok and quite intuitive once you get used to them, initially though a little confusing.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

A bit old school, but a toss up between Dungeon Keeper II and Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    • walibe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67B Pro
      • CPU:
      • iMac 2017
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig Corsair Vegence
      • Storage:
      • 10 T.B Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvida GTX 755M
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    I hadn't even heard of fpga arcade.

You can buy Mini Migs and even brand new Amiga 1200 systems from AmigaKit, however I am going to trade my 600 in for a 1200 I've decided somepoint later in the year, the 1200 also has the PCMCIA slot on the side so I can still use EasyADF with the PCMCIA Compact Flash Adapter for writing the emulator disk images back onto a floppy. Then for older games that won't run on Kick 2.0 or above use Relokick to soft downgrade the Kickstart to 1.3.

Another great thing about the Amiga 1200 is that it has the AGA chipset which was far superior to the graphics on PC's back in the day, you can also switch between ECS & AGA chipsets if you have something that won't go on AGA.

I have been watching the Armiga Project. Think if I was going to get something modern that is an Amiga hybrid it would be this :

http://www.armigaproject.com/

Going back to the Amstrad I only got mine a month ago and it has a color screen and also an MP3 TV Analogue tuner came with it, I had to do a mod on it for power though as it was designed to be used by the 644 color screens and mine is a 640. Difference here is the 644 has an extra 12 Volt output on the front of it that the MP3 power connects into. It was easy enough to modify thankfully, I found an old router plug with the circular 12 Volt and on it, clipped the end off and soldered it to the connector inside the MP3 and now it can take mains for power.

Granted now you can't get any TV on it with Analogue getting turned off. It does have another use though, I can hook up any of my machines that have RF output and tune it into them, already had my 520 STe and SNES running on the Amstrad Monitor and its just like the old CRT screens, was quite pleased with myself!

I have also upgraded my STe to 4 Mb ram and have the UltraSatan Disk, this is an external hard drive solution that accepts SD cards with your games on them. I did have to buy a specific driver for it which was only a tenner. Then the trouble I had was getting Windows to see all the partitions on the SD card as the STe only sees up to 512Mb on TOS 1.62.

I have had to create a virtual XP 32 Bit machine and hack the USB card reader I have driver, now XP thinks it is an external hard drive instead of a flash card. Only took 20 minutes or so to setup the virtual machine and then around an hour to transfer across all the hard drive adapted games. I also stuck JayMSA on there and apparently you can write the emulator images back onto proper disks, haven't worked out how to do it yet though.

Anyhow, back to the games!!

System 3 had to be my favorite developer for the C64, Myth and Tusker are still awesome games to this day. Myth is one of my all time favorites, starting in Hades after escaping you go through Isle of sirens onto Medusa then take out the 3 headed hydra with the bolts from Medusas eyes, next set of levels were Norse Mythology, then Egyptian before the final battle. Only downside is the controls on Myth are a bit weird, they are ok and quite intuitive once you get used to them, initially though a little confusing.
    The FPGA is the only one with an AGA core at the moment buts its still not released. I hand built a MIST board as I found the Minimig to be a bit limiting but fun none the less. I have one of the new AMIGA Magic Packs from Petro, they are awsome.

Anyway I'm making you go off topic!

Best adventure game - Simon the Sorcerer or maybe Flight of the Amazon Queen.

Registered+
    Thanks

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. I have constantly gone back to this game and continue to play it now on ForgedAllianceForever. A community driven project that has created a wonderful lobby to play the game through. Supcom is a brilliant RTS with a flux economy that requires you to think. Its not just about micro but primarily about macro/strategy. Its normally on offer somewhere so well worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ne...LZOMxMIFwtf2bw Gameplay cast by a Supcom commentator amid many others

I've probably gone overboard with my praise for this game but it is an underrated and often ignored game that should be as well known as Starcraft

nicolman92

Quote Originally Posted by chezney View Post
    Legend of zelda: a link to the past.

End of.
    I agree with legend of Zelda. I prefer ocarina of time by a fraction. So I'm gunna say that is my favourite game of all time

Registered+
    Thanks
    • TheSheriff's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB + 4TB HDDs + 128GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 550
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by nicolman92 View Post
    I agree with legend of Zelda. I prefer ocarina of time by a fraction. So I'm gunna say that is my favourite game of all time
    SO much agreement. Can't count the number of times I played through that game! Goldeneye on the n64 is pretty damn close though.

Aside from those and what I feel must be a token shout out to Age of Empires (I and II... mainly II) Kerbal Space Program is really doing it all for me at the minute! A really seriously great game there

Thanks
    • edoubleu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2700
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengence 24GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 660 SC 3GB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbs/20Mbs

Quote Originally Posted by SUMMONER View Post
    The best ever games would have to be Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken on the Commodore 64. We had half the neighbourhood pile up in our living room to play those games.

Looking at more recent games, it would have to be Fallout 3. That game was just awesomely captivating.
    Fallout 3, My best game ever! I haven't been sucked into the atmosphere or had as much fun just exploring in any game since. Bought every bit of DLC and loved every minute of it.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information