Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Console Gaming Flying At The Moment?

Banned
    Thanks

Console Gaming Flying At The Moment?

More right-now specific then Hex's general PC Gaming Doom thread, but console gaming seems to be flying right now, across the board, whilst PC gaming, for me at least, is as exciting as the zoo bit of Drayton Manor Park and Zoo.

I mean, I tempted, oh so tempted, to pick up a second hand Cube and a copy of Resident Evil 4; I knew this game was going to be something special - RE:Make and RE:0 were both superb, but this, going by the reviews, is a step up again. On IGN.com, a gaming site I respect and am a member of, it got a review score of 9.8, an average reader review score of 9.7 and an average Press review score of 9.9.

It looks amazing, up there with any PC game, and it just reminded me - since I sold my GameCube, I've not had as much fun as I used to have playing Super Monkey Ball, not been as immersed in a game as I used to be playing RE:Make, and not played a game as generally polished and brilliant as Metroid Prime, nor one as magical with the ability to make you smile with its nice touches and clever gameplay as Zelda: Wind Waker.

I'm also tempted to buy a slim line PS2, and kill a bit of time playing GTA: San Andreas (which believe me, is much more than just a time-passer) whilst I sort out a copy of Metal Gear Solid 3. Both games are supposed to be superb, and Metal Gear 3 unlocks content on Meal Gear Acid on the PSP when completed...

Which brings me to the PSP. By far the most exciting prospect on the gaming horizon, more so than STALKER or any other PC game. Looks great, has pretty much the power of a PS2, amazing bright, clear, crisp widescreen, and the games - Metal Gear Acid, a completely new GTA game in the works (http://psp.ign.com/articles/578/578511p1.html), Gran Turismo 4 Portable, a follow-up game to Final Fantasy VII (although this isn't due till late 2005 \ early 2006), Advent Children the FF7 movie, these are all big hitters, system sellers. There's plenty more games that look more than decent as well, like Ridge Racers, Hot Shots Golf, etc.

Then there's Halo II... not enough to make me want to buy an Xbox, but I'd say it has to be better than Doom III was (also coming to the Xbox) and apparently it’s a close run thing between it and Half Life II, which I've now finished and have no desire to play through again.

So, in short, for me, all the action is with the consoles at the moment. There's a few games on the Cube and PS2 that I might have to buy the system to play, as a starter to the PSP main course.

How are the rest of us feeling, post Half Life II hype? PC or Console games floating your boat at the moment? Looking forward to STALKER or getting your hands on a PSP \ DS? Spending more time on your Cube or your PC? Going to be getting a flash new GPU or a Console \ Handheld as your next purchase?
    Last edited by Stewart; 11-01-2005 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    I won't be buying a console I'm afraid, even though they aren't too expensive i am commited to my pc (which i can work on too) and having that AND a console isn't likely. I am not against consoles on principle, i used to enjoy super mario and tetris on my gameboy, but i won't be getting one now.

And i don't see the pc as such a gloomy alternative.

Yes i am looking forward to stalker. But apart from it I am eagerly awaiting GTR and San Andreas on PC (i tried it on ps2 and not being able to read the text on the tv was a bit of a turn off, plus i am better on a keyboard and mouse). I haven't had my pcgamer for 2 months (rah! christmas post) so I don't know what else to expect, but there is always something to be looking forward too.

Recently i enjoyed DOW, NFSU2, HL2 and am now playing LOTR battle for middle earth, which is great, and CS:Source.

It is a bit frustrating that developers have to go to consoles first (san andreas) before they come to pc (halo anyone) but i will perseveer.

The future is bright, the future is gaming.
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dkmech
    And i don't see the pc as such a gloomy alternative.
    Hmmm, not so much 'gloomy' as a bit slow and flat, after the complete disapointment that was Doom III and the slight dissapointment that was Half Life II (well, it didn't live up to the hype and had pacing and other issues, as well as being, well... just a bit boring really).

Recently i enjoyed DOW, NFSU2, HL2 and am now playing LOTR battle for middle earth, which is great, and CS:Source.
    Yeah, Dawn of War was great, not so sure about LOTR though; played it and it seemed a bit rushed and sloppy. As for anything with Counter Strike in the title...

It is a bit frustrating that developers have to go to consoles first (san andreas) before they come to pc (halo anyone) but i will perseveer.
    It can be done right and it can be done wrong. Halo was so, so wrong. Releasing a game several years after it ceased to look even half decent, as a well dodgy port, that ran terrible on rigs with 10 times the power of an Xbox was not a good idea.

The future is bright, the future is gaming.
    Agreed, but maybe not so much on the PC? I mean, look at my rig (sig), nothing special, but not exactly lacking in the polygon pushing department is it? I've not played owt since I finished Half Life II and I don't want to play it again.

If I make a list of my top 5 games to play, the system they are on reads GameCube, PSP, PSP, PS2, PS2. Where are the big PC titles? STALKER aside (I've lost all confidence in hyped up FPS games now, for some reason...)
    Last edited by Stewart; 11-01-2005 at 02:04 PM.

smtkr
    I've been making the switch to console gaming over the past few years. I've purchased 2 PS2s and an Xbox in the last 3 years. I like everything--not having to upgrade every 2 years, price of the system, etc. There is one thing that a console just doesn't do as well--first person shooters. Nothing aims like a mouse.

Banned
    Thanks
    True, but the last FPS I really enjoyed playing was TimeSplitters II on the GameCube.

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    Depends on what gtype of games you like, most of the types I like dont exist on the consoles. Also multiplayer online is mainly an add on for console games, with the PC its often the main reason for the game. AM currently spending way toooo much time playing DoD again.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    i'm pc gaming at the moment - loving Vampire Bloodlines, and i'm on the Darwinia beta. plus replaying old favourites such as the no one lives forevere games, tron 2.0, broken sword 1-3, etc etc etc.

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb
    Console gaming is in an average state of affairs at the moment. Working in a Game(statio) store I see the ups and downs of gaming every day of every month. At the moment it is Not as bright as they would lead you to believe. There isnt a game out there that is really grabbing the attention of the pundits, GTA has done superbly, but sales have really slowed down, as the bubble has already burst.
    Halo 2 did appaulingly, many people have been severly let down, with the single player being dubbed as one of the most over-hyped console games ever. The Multiplayer however does save it to some extent, but the actual ammount of Xbox users with L!ve is rediculously small...

....this brings us tidly to the Gamecube. Poor Nintendo, the kings of innovation, some of the most crucial titles of this generation have come to the Gamecube, and yet there are still some brilliant games to come. Nintendo however are so far up their own arse that third party development is virtually dead, and third party Publishing is non-existant. The Gamecube continues to drop in price, and yet it still does not keep up with the PS2 or the Xbox, even though it still has some of the best quality games on any format.

Whilst we are on the subject of Nintendo this brings me neatly on to the Nintendo DS. For those of you that aren't aware is the new Nintendo Handheld that has 2 screens, one of which is touch-screen and is backward compatible with the GB. Again, one of the most innovative things to arrive this year, Yet when you look at it, you think "interesting" rather than wow. The screens are too small, even though there are 2 of them, it doesnt seem anywhere near as well thought out as the PSPs luxurious wide screen. The touch screen is some what clumsy and will take far too long to get used to for most users to get instantly turned on by it.

Look at the PSP alongside the DS and the DS certainly looks like a budget machine. The PSP is shiny, plenty of features and offers everything people want, which is portable multimedia. Nintendo may be keen to keep banging the "Gaming only device" drum, but Sony have managed to cram everything into a device that is the same size, offers a much more powerful gaming platform and much more to keep you on the device. Sony have realised that people will be using there machine even when they arent gaming. They have realised that product awareness is the strongest form of advertising you can have, and Playstation is right up there with "Hoover".

In short, things to come are looking great, the state of the industry at this moment is...... in the balance.

my 4p...

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks
    Problem with PC gaming is there is zero innovation aside from designing fancy graphics engines.

You dont get anything like Katamari Damacy, Wario Ware, Eye Toy for PC just more of the same fisrt person shooters.

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    I thought there was eye toy for pc.

And talking of fps - why don't people open their eyes and see beyond the "famous" fps of the moment?

I admit that lately I've been mainly playing FPSes. I never feel i have the time for RPGs and couldn't be bothered with RTS games.

Then i had DOW for my birthday and I enjoyed it. I am now playing LOTR Battle for Middle Earth and am enjoying that too. I also enjoyed IL2 a lot, even though I am generally not into flight simulators. If people were willing to look past their generic FPS interests and actually bothered to try something different maybe they would see the variety that is available on pc.

Somehow on console people seem readier to try different genres. Maybe for some the pc is just too imposing. Maybe people should give pc a break instead of pigeon holing it into an FPS machine.
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Banned
    Thanks
    Bunji - I was talking from the point of view of a gamer, not really from the industry point of view - I don't really care how many copies X game has sold, as it doesn't really matter to me.

GTA: San Andreas is a fine game, if a little chavish and marketed towords the mindless gamer. Still, its a good game, so I'll be taking a look. Have to agree on the PSP vs DS comments though, PSP all the way for me - big screen, top games, MP3 player, lovely.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Consoles are a welcome relief from the patching and updating of PC games for lots of us.

Just got into the latest Prince of Persia, Warrior Within, and its AWESOME just like Sands of Time was. Still play GT3 when people visit too. Console ease of use is its forte

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    Consoles are great when drunk, best use imho. Get back from pub with mates put an a fighting game.

can you find a fatter hazza? fathazza's Avatar
    Thanks
    • fathazza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58-E
      • CPU:
      • i7 930
      • Memory:
      • 6 GB Corsair Dominator 1600 C8
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 4890 Black Edition
      • PSU:
      • corsair HX 620w
      • Case:
      • HAF-932
      • Operating System:
      • Vista
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E2200WS 22in and a Hanns-G HG281DP 28"
    consoles for party gaming too as well. Nothing like a bit of 4 player mario kart, kung fu chaos, pro evo or super monkey ball when your friends are over...

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    but I think what Vaul means is that the wealth of quality games being thrown at us it pretty high ad therefore maybe better, on the whole, than PC's

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Oh gotta love the big discussions

Innovation in PC gaming? As has been previously mentioned the only real advances in PC gaming have been graphical which imho is totally superflous to the actual gameplay experience.
    Half Life 2 looks awesome and the physics system works a treat (not really an innovation, just done really well for a change) but have I finished it yet? No, why? Because it doesn't really hold my attention (plus Source kinda distracts me)

I'VE SEEN IT ALL BEFORE!

As soon as I start a new level I can tell pretty much within a few minutes what the format will be. I used to sit for days at my PC playing games and going through them religiously as new experiences were always around the corner. I remember the first time in Unreal when you are running down the corrider and ALL the lights go out. You turn around to see this silloutted Skarjj running at you screaming in whatever alien lingo it chosses to spout.

Did I K-rap myself or what?

Ok back then that sort of thing was innovative with the as of then unseen Unreal engine. Now we take lighting and shadows for granted and the likes of Doom 3 just plain takes the biscuit for number of useless "Monster jumps out of the black abyss to yell at you" moments. Its been done people!
    People praised Far Cry for its open endedness but was that new? No and to be honest they probably stole the concept from games like GTA 3, which was REALLY innovational!

So to consoles...

The obvious reason why console games are often the most innovative is because developers can't fall back on the "Oh look at our shiney use of the latest and great pixel shaders for your ATIVIDIA 9900 XYZ" - go buy our game. On a console you have a set of hardware specs and you deal with them. So what do you do to sell? Either sell out and go with the EA system of licensing or try and do things differently and be creative. Super Monkey Ball is probably one of the best examples of innovation which creates a genuinely fun gameplay system.

As for me...

I'll probably always be a PC Gamer. I love my mouse and keyboard but I'm most definately up for a fling with my control pads (I have quite a few floosies with a PS2, Xbox and GC ) Pro Evo is one of the best party games ever if you like footy, FF7 will always be remembered for the hours I spent at it only to be rewarded by one of the best endings ever! (Game endings, that's another topic all together - they've sucked recently!), House of the Dead 2 on the dreamcast was an amazing shooter, all the Zelda games rock your socks I don't care who you are and MGS is story telling at its best.
    Gaming is great at the moment! Long live Gaming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information