Thread: My PSP Questions

Thanks

My PSP Questions

OK So im giving a serious amount of consideration into buying one of these things but i have like a bunch of questions that need asking (and answering - which is where you my brethren, come into play)

(you know its bad when i number the questions)
    1. Is it worth getting an imported one from anywhere (such as scancom) or should i just wait a few days and grab a uk one?

2. I read a bit about the version 2 firmware which allows you to surf the web amongst other things - what are the other things that are of interest.

3. Am i correct in saying that the games come on the UMDs??

4. What can be put on the memory duo sticks - for example if i had a media file on a memory stick - is there functionality to play that media file back through the psp???

5. Battery life - whats it like - from someone who owns and uses it?

6. Is the screen active - ie viewable from whatever angle your at.

7. What peripherals are available - i was actually wandering if there is one of them little plugin keyboards available for use with the web browser etc

8. With this new version of the firmware (which i beleive will b on all uk models) are there any homebrew apps / games available yet?

I think thats it for now - answers on a postcard please :

Thanks
    Im from the UK, but imported a Japanese PSP around 4 months ago, so I can answer a few:

1. No, not now, price difference is negliable with import tax, wait for UK release.

2. Version 2 features ive noticed: You can now use wallpaper, improved network support settings, a different video codec is availaible (or rather a better varient of MP4), you send photos wirelessly to other psps, etc.

3. Yes.

4. Music, Videos, Photos, even e-books Can be put on the MC and used on the PSP.

5. Ehm Id say its around 2h 30mins video playback, 8h music playback, 3h gaming, 5/6h webbrowsing.

6. The screen has a large viewing angle, but its pretty pointless, this is a handheld console, usually directly infornt of you.

7. An absolute mountain of peripherals, yes a keyboard is availiable, theres even a X2 battery which offers twice the battery life.

8. No homebrew apps can be played as of yet, I ran some when I was using 1.5 such old sega games etc, pretty fun, more of a novelty though I did hear of successful pirated games copied to a MS playing. One reason I would suggest importing a 1.5 Jap release.

I like mine anyways, not sure if its worth the pricetag, but its certainly fun.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    I got mine about a month ago, japanese.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMunky
    1. Is it worth getting an imported one from anywhere (such as scancom) or should i just wait a few days and grab a uk one?
    Get a Uk one if you think youll be able to source one, def worth preordering imho. Unless you drop on dont have to pay tax (or use gadgetasia) its cheaper. make sure youre getting the value pack though
    2. I read a bit about the version 2 firmware which allows you to surf the web amongst other things - what are the other things that are of interest.
    Pretty much bugger all, the web browser is pretty simple, all the text entry is good, for something with only 8 buttons at least
    3. Am i correct in saying that the games come on the UMDs??
    Yes
    [/quote]
    4. What can be put on the memory duo sticks - for example if i had a media file on a memory stick - is there functionality to play that media file back through the psp???
    See pspvideo9.com and this guide. You can also play mp3s and look at pictures (only ever tried jpegs)
    5. Battery life - whats it like - from someone who owns and uses it?
    I get around 5 or 6 hours of gaming from it, but i have the sound right down (yay for sensitive heaphones). and ive only run it dry once.
    6. Is the screen active - ie viewable from whatever angle your at.
    Pretty much, although extreme angles colours get a little crazy
    7. What peripherals are available - i was actually wandering if there is one of them little plugin keyboards available for use with the web browser etc
    Not as far as i know
    8. With this new version of the firmware (which i beleive will b on all uk models) are there any homebrew apps / games available yet?
    No homebrew as yet, but there prob will be

One thing worth noting is that you can suspend games so you dont have to wait all the time for the loading screens and stuff

Thanks
    I think that psps are wonderfull, especialy the 1.5< firmware when modded (i dont know if this is aginst the rules)

Thanks
    Thanks for the answers guys

Thread Information