View Poll Results: Will PS3 late release, mean Xbox will win market share?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • X360 Will win by miles

9 32.14%
  • PS3 will win by miles

6 21.43%
  • Status Quo (honours even)

8 28.57%
  • Don't care i'll have both

5 17.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Sony Lose out with Late PS3 Release?

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks

Will Sony Lose out with Late PS3 Release?

With the X360 a few weeks away from launch i'm feeling like its christmas already. After playing on a demo system today and trying out Kameo, King Kong and COD2 on the X360 i'm eager to get mine and get gaming.

So with X360 firmly in place in my living room, with Media Streaming, DVD playback, HD support and Wireless Controllers in place. With no sign of Ps3, (in the uk till later 2006???)

Are sony going to lose out?.

Will we see the kind of reversal of the figures for PS2 vs Xbox. (60-90mil+ to 14mil?)

From what i've seen launch titles are strong (much stronger than original Xbox Release)

This isn't a discussion of which console is best (although i know it does matter) but much more of which system do you think will win the console war?.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor
    Ok if the PS3 was only a couple months behind then it wouldnt really matter but a huge amount of people wont bother waiting the extra year for the release. within that time the xbox will get nice and settled and a large selection of games already out plus unless the ps3 releases at some stupidly low price i can see the xbox dropping quite a bit cheaper than it by the time its out.

However on the flip side of that is within that year alot of people will be able to get the money together to think Ill just buy it aswell.

smtkr
    Nintendo is convinced that a late release was the cause for its GC troubles. I concur.

Thanks
    I think the last figure I heard were MS had something like 20% of the console market... I'd expect to see a noticeable change in this between the Xbox 360 launch and the PS3 launch.

But it's not just peopel not wanting to wait.. the longer a concole is in the marketplace, the bigger it's software catalogue will be. Developers only have a finite amount of resources so are they coding now for a (what is said to be a limited) March 2006 release for the PS3 or are they coding now for a release on an established platform that will have been out four months by then in the Xbox 360?

I certainly think that the keen gamer will have both systems, as Dooms says, its not a case of noit having the dosh all in one go and forcing you to choose, though I think that casual gamers will either get the Xbox 360 and leave the PS3 alone or wait for the PS3.

I think Sony will have to rely heavily on fan loyalty to keep a user base that can contend with Xbox 360 on launch. You can bet your life that Bill has something up hois sleeve to try and drown out the Sony PR machine come launch time for the PS3... Halo 3 perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    I think that Because Play station is a much bigger name than Xbox, and its ture the name Play station is very well established and has lead a much longer life than MS's Xbox has.

I suppose saying that iam slightly wrong as Xbox has just aswell known

The way i see it is that theres alot of Die hard Play station Junkies who are commited to the brand and will only ever buy Play station. As Sony have had longer to establish this foundation with consumers the ratio of hardcore PS junkies to Xbox Junkies must be higher
    (what the hell am i going on about??)

I my self have never been a huge fan of Xbox's - theres somthing that doesnt appeal to me about them.
    The PS3 will is going to appeal to alot more people as will the Xbox because of the technilogical advances.

If i had to buy either of them i would with out a doubt go for the PS3.
    This is because i like the games, i have owned the previous consoles and also because of the technology behind it such a blueray and how ever many micro processors it has onboard.

Any way theres my oppinions

smtkr
    I think backward compatability is another factor that many underestimate.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smtkr
    I think backward compatability is another factor that many underestimate.
    - Still have my old consoles incase... no problem

Thanks
    I don't think anybody can be 100% sure how this is going to turn out - on the one hand, MS have really pulled one over on Sony by launching at least 6 months beforehand, and with fairly similar technology (Joe Bloggs won't be able to see a lot of difference between the 2 in action), and will have a large game assortment by the time PS3 is released.

But Sony do have a massive following for the PS product line, and whether these people want to wait the extra 6 months or more for their console is going to be the telling factor.

Another thing will be how well MS matches the demand for Xbox 360 during the pre-PS3 time, as getting a large market share could lead to developers leaning towards producing Xbox 360 games rather than PS3.

There's always going to be the hardcore PS3 followers who will purchase one so that they can play on exclusive titles: GTA, Gran Turismo etc

It's going to be very interesting that is for sure, as neither competitor is going to go down without a fight.

smtkr
    Quote Originally Posted by luke313

There's always going to be the hardcore PS3 followers who will purchase one so that they can play on exclusive titles: GTA, Gran Turismo etc
    I can't prove it, but I have a feeling that Final Fantasy moves more consoles than any game (although that lousy excuse for a FPS, HALO, seemed to move XBRICKS very well).

Thanks
    smtkr, watch it the HALO fan-boys will get you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    smtkr, watch it the HALO fan-boys will get you!
    Nooooooooo!!
    FPS should only ever be played with a mouse and keyboard, period.
    WASD FTW !!
    Last edited by Ramedge; 10-11-2005 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks
    i would wait and see what sony has up its sleeves. i think it will overcome 360 by just a tiny bit. sony is a household name, alot of people buy sony products just because of its name...

at the end of the day, competition is one of the most important factors that creates innovation and im sure ps3 will have somthing up its sleeve to make you and otehrs wnat to buy there product instead of 360...

Thanks
    [QUOTE=jonneymendoza] i think it will overcome 360 by just a tiny bit.
    [quote]

dude i think its going to overcome the 360 buy quite abit - i think the fact that its comming out later that the 360 gives an advantage tbh!
    because no one wants to waste there money on "old" technology when theres something better comming out months later.

iam not saying that the 360 is old tech just put it that way to show my point.
    People like me who want the best are going to want to hold on just that bit longer to get the PS3 and will (hopfully) overlook the 360.

Thanks
    Sony is a household name but Microsoft is not?

Ok...

Fact is that Microsoft have the money to go further than Sony in anything they want. It will be very interesting to see the prices of each console in 12 months time, for next christmas. MS will be able to price the Xbox 360 very competitively, and I doubt Sony will want/be able to compete in the first few months of the PS3.

Thanks
    Luke,
    Sony have been in the console market much longer than mircosoft and yeh microsoft are now a household name - but Sony make a wide varitey of household prodcuts were as microsoft dont. well not as much.

People trust the sony brand and because its been around longer than mircosoft trust it.

Also i think Sony prob do have alot of money to play with in the development in the PS3 - i believe the processors of the PS3 have been designed by IBM (please correct me on this if iam wrong)

I still think the PS3 will do better that the 360

Thanks
    People aren't going to be buying consoles based on which one has been in the market longest, else everyone would be buying Nintendo, and the Dreamcast wouldn't have been Sega's last console...

I think that the PS3 will eventually do better than the 360, but not as resoundingly as with the PS2 over Xbox.

Also how has the processors being developed by IBM got to do with money?

Microsoft are concentrating on bringing a home media center and games console all in one, and with their experiences with XP Media Center and the like I do think they will really push Sony.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information